Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 The Kite Runner 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Kite Runner 

Post The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner

Quote:
The Kite Runner is a 2007 film directed by Marc Forster based on the novel of the same name by Khaled Hosseini. It tells the story of Amir, a well-to-do boy from the Wazir Akbar Khan district of Kabul, who is tormented by the guilt of abandoning his friend Hassan, the son of his father's Hazara servant. The story is set against a backdrop of tumultuous events, from the fall of the monarchy in Afghanistan through the Soviet invasion, the mass exodus of Afghan refugees to Pakistan and the United States, and the Taliban regime.

Though most of the film is set in Afghanistan, these parts were mostly shot in Kashgar, China, due to the dangers of filming in Afghanistan at the time. Much of the film's dialogue is in Dari Persian and English. The child actors are native speakers, but several adult actors had to learn Persian. Filming wrapped up on December 21, 2006, and the film was expected to be released on November 2, 2007. However, after concern for the safety of the young actors in the film due to fears of violent reprisals to the sexual nature of some scenes in which they appear, its release date was pushed back six weeks to December 14, 2007. The Kite Runner was released on DVD on March 25, 2008. A HD DVD release was announced for the same date, but was canceled following the format's demise.

The film was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2007. The film's score by Alberto Iglesias was nominated for Best Original Score at the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Kite Runner
THE KITE RUNNER - 8/10 (A-)

A wonderful film that is quite brutal at times, but ultimately touching and poignant by the end. The characters are interesting and well-developed and the story is incredibly compelling. Several scenes are massively disturbing, but appropriate, and give the film a more authentic feel. The performances by a cast of mostly unknown actors are all wonderful, especially Homayoun Ershadi, Khalid Abdalla, and Ahmad Khan Mahmoodzada. I also really liked Atossa Leoni and thought her character was a delight. The direction by Marc Forster is phenomenal, proving once again how talented he is. The score is also worth mentioning. I had a bit of a problem with the screenplay, which had some trite dialogue and spent too little time in the final act developing the appropriate tension that was necessary. But ultimately this is definitely a film worth seeing. It's incredibly moving and is sure to thrive on word of mouth over the holiday season.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:59 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

The Kite Runner (or Atonement: Afghanistan) as it were, is certainly the better of the two shamefests on display this holiday season.

Marc Forster, as always, dug deep to tell his story - - in this case, amazingly in another language 80% of the time. Unfortunately, I found the story too farfetched in it's telling, though I believed the sentiments almost entirely.

So, it's half a dozen of one, or six of the other - - ya pay's yer money, ya takes yer choice...

3 out of 5.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:32 am
Forum General

I'm going to see this tonight at 7:30, though I'm incredibly worried. I loved the book and I've heard they've changed quite a bit and I've heard the movie is incredibly cheesy, something the book wasn't.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I haven't seen The Kite Runner, but I wish Marc Forster would stop making movies. Dude does not know how.

Poor Bond.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:54 pm
Forum General

Based upon one of my favorite books, The Kite Runner is one of the most powerful films in recent memory. It's a film that stays with you long after the final credits have started to role. The acting is great, the two children actors Zekeria Ebrahimi and Ahmad Khan Mahmidzada are both great in their small roles. One scene in particular was incredibly hard to watch, and the children played the scene wonderfully and made you incredibly uncomfortable. Khalid Abdalla and Atossa Leoni are also great, and deserve some serious recognition, which neither them, not this phenomenal film are receiving. The script is great, and stays true to the book without watering down it's intense and disturbing content and the direction by Marc Foster is fantastic. Overall, this is a worthy adaption to one of my favorite films and one the best films of the year. If you're lucky enough to have it playing in your area, go see it. You won't be disappointed.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

It's A+, but didn't make your Top 10 of the year?

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:
It's A+, but didn't make your Top 10 of the year?

It is. I just haven't updated it yet.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Mostly turned out to be cliched melodrama, but successful somewhat because of the storyline. Overly glossy/not gritty enough. The direction, cinematography and screenplay failed the novel and plot.
B-/C+

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 pm
Extraordinary

My main problem is that there is no real climax. It's kind of just ended. Getting the kid out is supposed to be the big moment of the story, but it didn't transpire that way. I could see how the novel should be fascinating to read, but Forster wasn't able to translate the magic onto the big screen. On the positive side, the kite scenes are great, and the production and performances are all solid. B-.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

kind of a meh film really. The last 30 minutes were awful.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:18 pm

Is this a close adaptation? I read the book and thought the end was terrible melodramatic crap, so I am reluctant to sit through this movie.

The book was bad enough.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:27 pm
Stanley Cup

Ripper wrote:
Is this a close adaptation? I read the book and thought the end was terrible melodramatic crap, so I am reluctant to sit through this movie.

The book was bad enough.

from what i hear its very similar to the book. i havnt read it and after watching the film, i have no plans to

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Jim Halpert wrote:
Ripper wrote:

The book was bad enough.

from what i hear its very similar to the book. i havnt read it and after watching the film, i have no plans to

The ending of the book is awful, so when you said the ending of the movie was awful I wasn't surprised.

I can't actually figure out why people liked the book, let alone why someone would make into a movie.

I think I'll just find the Kite scenes online, those are about the only thing I am interested in.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:50 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B+

the film always took the easy way out in all the conflicts, it actually dropped in quality as time passed, could have been much better.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Kite Runner is a horrible adaptation of what is actually a wonderful piece of writing. Now books and films should be enjoyed separately and not try to fulfill what the other covered. However with Kite Runner, even as a film alone it fails. The biggest problem is that all the characters are never given true interaction and there is no understanding into why these characters are together in the first place sometimes. The closest the film gets to a true relationship is between Young Amir and Young Hassan but even their story isn't connected fully to care or feel any emotion. Emotion is another place where the film lacks, because all these disastrous things are occurring around the characters but they rarely get away from their plain, washed out looks. The film adaptation also never connects all its pieces together so the transition to each scene can be smooth. It constantly jumps. While the book gave some closure at the end, the film doesn't and just adds more confusion. There are a couple of good pieces of acting here from Shaun Toub and Homayoun Ershadi. Also, a couple of scenes are disturbing (well as much as they could be with a PG-13 rating), but in the end this is a poor and disappointing adaptation of a great piece of work. *

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]