Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Touch of Evil 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Touch of Evil 
Extraordinary

Post Touch of Evil
Touch of Evil

Quote:
Touch of Evil is a 1958 American crime thriller film, written, directed by, and co-starring Orson Welles. The screenplay was loosely based on the novel Badge of Evil by Whit Masterson. Along with Welles, the cast includes Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Joseph Calleia, Akim Tamiroff, and Marlene Dietrich.

Touch of Evil is one of the last examples of film noir in the genre's classic era (from the early 1940s until the late 1950s).

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Post Re: Touch of Evil

Oh Orson you make me believe in God.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:28 pm
You must have big rats

B+

Great cinematography, very noir feel and a terrific performance by Orson Welles here...but on the whole, I just wasn't very impressed with the story and Heston's lead didn't leave much of an impression on me either. Still a very solid flick with a great ending.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

The best noir ever? Maybe. It's certainly up there.

It's interesting to compare this to some early film-noirs (The Maltese Falcon, for instance) and trace the path the genre went through over about fifteen years. There's a lot more perverse subject matter in this one (sex, drugs, rock-and-roll) and it's an interesting progression from the earlier stuff, which were mostly wholesome, despite their dark settings.

This is echoed in the style of the film, too. The camera moves about wildly, sometimes lingering on a single scene for an unhealthy amount of time (that opening scene of course, but also the bit in the middle in Sanchez's house), and sometimes cutting to erratic angles and placements. The cameraman is not afraid to move, and it makes bits like the opening or the climax that much more thrilling.

And then, of course, there's Orson. Prosthetics or not, it's still an amazing (and repulsive) transformation from The Third Man not even ten years earlier, and it makes his villain that much more disturbing. His character dominates the story just as his figure dominates the screen, physically, and it makes for one of the great performances in film history.

Of course, you could turn it off after three minutes and it'd still be one of the best films ever. That's how amazing that opening is.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat May 03, 2008 9:27 pm
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
B+

Great cinematography, very noir feel and a terrific performance by Orson Welles here...but on the whole, I just wasn't very impressed with the story and Heston's lead didn't leave much of an impression on me either. Still a very solid flick with a great ending.

this guy's in charge. ok.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]