Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Anvil! The Story of Anvil 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Post Anvil! The Story of Anvil

Quote:
Anvil! The Story of Anvil is a 2008 documentary film about the Canadian heavy metal band, Anvil. The film is directed by screenwriter Sacha Gervasi, whose previous credits include The Big Tease (co-written with Craig Ferguson) and The Terminal.

The movie features interviews with other musicians who have been influenced by the band, including Slash (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver), Tom Araya (Slayer), Lemmy (Hawkwind, Motörhead), Scott Ian (Anthrax, Stormtroopers of Death), and Lars Ulrich (Metallica).

Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Here's a copy of my eview from over in the Foreign & Independent forum:

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Anvil! The Story Of Anvil: Rock'n'Roll All Life Long!!!

Anvil! The Story Of Anvil is a masterpiece of self-promotion - - even the dozen people in the movie audience I saw it with consisted mostly of the band's friends and family, taking organized shifts to man the theatre in a consistent manner befitting an artisitic endeavor worthy of anyone's attention.

It's also a testament to the old adage: "It's never too late to say now or never and not hesitate before you're lost and time keep's on slippin', slippin' into the future."

The use of historical footage of Anvil's glory years weeks, creates a surprisingly resonant grace note to the present day tale of lifelong friendship (dare I say bromance), and then the uncritical commitment to the music itself. In this case, the music is that of publicity management. Oh, I can hear the dulcet tones now - - I got tighter jeans on, since I saw you, got biter genes so, ya better guess who...

The way they fake the authenticity in this film is very convincing in it's artifice.

It's the rare rockumentary where the band spins into control...

...and then, whadda ya know? The songs are good after all that. I can imagine buying This Is Thirteen at anvilmetal.com or catching the band if they came to my town (...and I mean physically catching them, because those bastards stole my chickens last time they came to my town!)

My highest compliment to this film is that by the time it ended, I barely could believe that it was a true story anymore! (So I read some of the five (5!) Amazon.com reviews for Anvil's 1982 album Metal On Metal, and it brought me pounding back down to Earth like a hammer to...)

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:27 am
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

I hate this kind of music. But thankfully it's not about music. It's a heartfelt story about people who just do what they love in hope that they will be able to do it in front of the people that share their love...

You do feel for these guys. But in the end, it's not a great documentary. It never gets a tone of its own. It's all over the place. Also I feel that some parts were purposefully manipulated more than usual for a bigger impact.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It seems to reach almost Spinal Tap-levels of satire at times, while appearing deadly serious at others, and it's this atonal feel that hurts the film the most. It's an interesting story, but director Gervasi never seems to capitalize on its appeal; as a fan of the band, he expresses little auteurial voice other than extreme glee at his apparent good fortune. Luckily the content itself is enough to make the film worth it, as the most interesting moments (the fight in the Prague club, Reiner and Kudlow's constant bickering) are solely due to the band, not the filmmaker. It's almost the musical equivalent of An Inconvenient Truth, in that regard. It's no Dont Look Back or Gimme Shelter, to be sure.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]