Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Shutter (2008) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Shutter (2008) 

Post Shutter (2008)
Shutter

Quote:
Shutter is a 2008 American remake of the 2004 Thai horror film of the same name. The remake was directed by Masayuki Ochiai, and was released on March 21, 2008.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:30 am
Profile WWW
problem?

Post Re: Shutter [2008]
Well, it was better than One Missed Call. :sleep:

It obviously doesn't compare to the original, with is the crème de la crème of Asian horror. Nothing comes close to topping it. But this, this remake, it felt like a better sequel to The Grudge than the freaking Grudge 2 did. And hell, the remake didn't even have one of the better scenes in the original, when the PODAGC (pissed off dead Asian Grudge chick) was next to the car and then showed up here.

There's absolutely no reason to see this, really. It fails in every single imaginable way and obviously doesn't compare to the original.

Image out of Image

Just go rent the original instead.

Last edited by Korrgan on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:56 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Why is it always the boyfriend who kills an ex that comes back to kill him?

Why not a girlfriend who kills an ex that comes back to kill her?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:58 pm
Extraordinary

Munk·E wrote:
Why is it always the boyfriend who kills an ex that comes back to kill him?

Why not a girlfriend who kills an ex that comes back to kill her?

Because the overwhelming number of murders of that kind entail the guy killing the girl, DUH.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

It pales in comparison to the original in terms of being scary, but it's not that bad. Just typical Asian horror remake stuff. I liked it more than The Eye, actually.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:22 am
problem?

I thought about it a little bit more, and I think I was too quick giving it zero Twizzlers. It's not THAT bad, I just had more hate cause of how much I luv the original. I think it's at least a 1 Twizzy movie, which is still pretty bad.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:57 pm
Speed Racer

I thought this was much better than The Eye, but still not great, very similar to The Grudge

C+

Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:13 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually found this surprisingly enjoyable, probably because I've never seen the original. It's certainly better than a great deal of the horror films released as of late - and a huge step up from The Eye earlier this year. It has a creepy and effective atmosphere and I liked Rachael Taylor's performance. It's not exactly scary, but I enjoyed it for one reason or another. The ending was ridiculous though. B-

Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 am
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

They somewhat made the story uninteresting and quite boring, they left out one of the best scenes of the original and they gave away the ending far to early focusing to much Jackson's shoulders. The dead girl wasnt even creepy looking.

I was kinda disappointed, i wasnt expecting it to be better than the original but the trailer looked great.

D+

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:23 pm
The Wall

1/10 -> F

Awful from start to the end. Not a single redeeming thing. The picture of the ghost sitting on top of his shoulders is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen in a horror movie.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Did you see the original be.redy? Its well worth a look. As for this I just refuse to watch it.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:57 am
The Wall

I haven't. I might check it out.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Eh, I have seen both and while the older Shutter is great and obviously much superior, having seen the remake first, I'm sure, spoils A LOT of the enjoyment of the original anyway since they did a lot of things shot-for-shot (just often devoid of tension).

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Shot for shot you say? Eh...

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:44 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

be.redy wrote:
Shot for shot you say? Eh...

Not shot-for-shot, no....but the main scares are the same. More effective, but the same composition and all.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Hopefully the shot the the ghost sitting on his back is not laugh inducing.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:28 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

C+

It still kind of amazes me how this remake of one of the scariest horror movies ever could turn out so....unscary? The thing is that with shot-for-shot remakes, you lose all the points for originality, but if you do it to a good original, you at least get the same effect, at least partially. Shutter, the original film, is scary as hell. It is atmospheric, creepy, well-told and frankly surprising as far as the ending twist goes. The remake contains almost all the same scares, same scene and same resolution (which is of course not as surprising this time around). And yet, unlike a similar shot-for-shot remake Quarantine, it doesn't get close to capturing the original film's tension and dread.

I am not exactly sure where it went off the rails. It is obvious that it was directed by a director with a complete lack of vision or interest to deliver anything other than a quick cash-in. The cast is less than stellar with Joshua Jackson and Rachael Taylor being the film's lifeless leads. The cinematography is nice at times, yet fails to evoke the same kind of tension as the original's. It's just...the ingredients are there, but the chemistry just doesn't work. The only reason the film is actually not horrible is because the original is SO good that filming the remake shot-for-shot still gives the movie enough reasonably creepy moments, even though they never get close to those of the original. I remember leaving the theatre the day I saw the original Shutter and being creeped out just by thinking about it for the next few days. In the remake's case I started forgetting it the very same day. It is entirely possible to recreate the original film and yet retain most of the suspense if the source material is really good and the directors don't totally screw it up "reshooting" it. Apparently it was too difficult in Shutter's case.

It is not an awful film and I suppose it's not a disappointment either since I never expected much of it anyway. But it just stuns me how someone could take an original this good and just remake it taking the suspense out of the most crucial scenes. One of the few good things about it was the idea to set the film in Japan, but they don't even play enough with that idea.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]