Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Entre les murs [The Class] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Entre les murs [The Class] 

Post Entre les murs [The Class]
The Class

Quote:
The Class is a 2008 French drama film directed by Laurent Cantet. Its original French title is Entre les murs, which translates literally to "Between the walls". It is based on the 2006 novel of the same name by François Bégaudeau. The novel is a semi-autobiographical account of Bégaudeau's experiences as a French language and literature teacher in a middle school in the 20th arrondissement of Paris, particularly illuminating his struggles with "problem children" Esmerelda (Esmeralda Ouertani), Khoumba (Rachel Regulier), and Souleymane (Franck Keïta). The film stars Bégaudeau himself in the role of the teacher.

The film received the Palme d'Or at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival, making it the first French film to do so since 1987, when Maurice Pialat won the award for Under the Sun of Satan.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:24 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: Entre les murs [The Class]
You think you know where this movie's heading after the first hour or so, but you really don't. What starts off as a simple story about a teacher trying to motivate his uninspired students turns into a really powerful social commentary that uses subtlety to make a lasting impression in your mind. The movie is almost entirely dialogue -- if you add up the amount of time in two hours where people aren't talking, you probably get about five minutes. The movie revolves entirely around the script (which is so well-written that it feels like they were improvising most of it) and the strong performances by both the teacher and his students. One of the year's best.

A

Last edited by billybobwashere on Sat May 02, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I enjoyed its anti-Dead Poets Society spirit and mentality, and the deeply flawed character of the teacher (he's vaguely racist, kinda sexist, truly condescending), but the whole thing seems too light and inconsequential to matter. There's some stuff about the problem of multiculturalism in France (specifically the Paris suburbs), and a not-so-subtle critique of the educational system, but it's all passed over in favour of dialogue-heavy exchanges in the classroom. Admittedly, I enjoyed the down-to-earth realism these scenes employed, but it seems to me they could've been used in the service of something greater.

I'd be kinda upset if this beat Bashir at the Oscars.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:56 pm
Extraordinary

I loved the way it started out - - a gifted, intelligent teacher using his mad skillz to teach a difficult, promising class.

I coulda gone for a whole movie like that, easy!

...and despite Tommy's old adage, 1% inspiration / 99% perspiration, (which I damn well know real life is so often all about), in my movies I simply prefer a higher dose of inspiration...

Yep, the movie takes a hard right turn from the art of teaching to the politics of teaching. Which is fine, I guess, if ya like having your face rubbed in a pile of hot, fresh reality. It's one authentic portrayal of modern teaching and schools. But, geezaloolah, didn't the dang thing then almost turned into a soap opera by the end.

Interesting subject, failed presentation.

:zzz: :mad: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 am

I thought this was one movie that the critics were actually too enthusiastic, that is until I saw it.
I am going to write a full review when i have some free time tomorrow on my plane ride, (for this, and sunshine cleaning, and maybe 12) but for now I will say that the movie soared beyond even the enthusiasm I heard from critics all over, it is exceptional in every sense of the word, no way to get around it. *MORE COMING SOON*

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:54 am

The Class

The plot-line for "The Class" is entirely straight forward: "Teacher and novelist François Bégaudeau plays a version of himself as he negotiates a year with his racially mixed students from a tough Parisian neighborhood." (from IMDB.com). That's about it. If you think this sounds to down-to-earth, or to "normal" to be an entertaining and captivating film, you're in the same line-of-thought that I was before watching it. However, let me tell you, boy was I wrong.
The film begins by introducing the teachers of various classes, during the first day, in a meet and greet format. This seems somewhat fitting to the overall film, considering the main focus is on the teacher and not the kids. However, also appropriately, the movie does not wait long to introduce the students. They are a mix in every sense of the word: race, gender, attitude, age, intelligence, and beliefs. There are many African kids, who happen to be living in France, there are many partially black kids that have always grown up in France, there are white kids, there is even an Asian. The school is an inner-city school, compromised mostly of poor families and children that have to live in the city. This, obviously creates for a tough environment.

About 10 minutes into this film I thought I had the outcome: nice/dedicated teacher is dealt a tough hand with his students, after a good deal of problems and struggles they overcome their differences and live happily ever after. This is the moment where I really started wondering, "what the hell where these critics raving about, and why did I spend my money based on there word?" The movie did not play out like I thought, not even close. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it is much more complicated than it appears at first sight.

The cinematography present is remarkable. Not the best I've seen recently, but the whole movie is very convincingly filmed. The camera uses a lot of still shots, which are very effectively cut and pieced together, but it is especially strong when the camera shifts slowly, yet purposefully, to show different dimensions of the class. This may sound rather basic, but it fits into the film perfectly and allows for easy access to the emotions and messages on display here. The editing and other tech pieces are fine, relatively indie, but nothing is poorly done or distracting.

The directing, by laurent Cantet is fantastic. He situates the students and teacher in powerful sequences, using his great cinematography to utilize the emotions of the situation. He is aware of the potential for poignancy in the film, and exploits it fully. However, he also realizes the potential for dullness that is in this film, and does his very best to avoid any sense of that. Some may still find it boring due simply to the subject, but hopefully they can suspend their judgements of the topic long enough to realize the greatness of the film. Cantet, for his part, keeps it fresh, by including various sets for scenes, taking the class out into the playground, having encounters on stair wells, and maintaining his brilliant filming no matter where it is. However, despite how great all of these things are, his ability to explore the depth of his character trumps it all. Without spoiling anything, I will simply say that no one is quite what they seem, and Cantet is not only perfectly aware of this, he forces the audience to be aware as well.

The writing for this is nothing "out of this world," so to speak, but it serves its job very well. Francois Begaudeau, who adapts his own novel, and stars in the movie, does a fine job of creating fascinating and multi-dimensional characters all across the screen. Most of which, is his own character, Mr. Marin. Begaudeau also does a strong job of keeping the writing fresh, knowing just when to throw in a surprise little punch or character twist. He seems to realize just how weak his own plot and premise is, and consequently write constantly evolving and consistently interesting character to carry the weight.

The acting, all across the board, is great. Francois Begaudeau (who should get a star for writing, adapting, and staring in this film) has an incredible flare for his character, who we must assume is a version of himself. Begaudeau is brilliant in his sense of when to adapt his character to new situations, and plays him perfectly. Begaudeau is so convincing that you could swear this was simply a documentary, and Mr. Marin is a real teacher, however you eventually realize that there is probably no teacher on earth with this much depth or originality. This is not to say that Mr. Marin is a perfect teacher, or anything near it. That is probably the best facet of the film, everyone is so clearly human, no one is perfect and no one is evil, they all have nine different layers, which you can't even begin to dissect during this 140 minute film. The students, and other teachers, most of whom are small but memorable, and the principle, who is the least memorable, are all pretty strong performers as well, and give enticing portrayals of their characters.

Summary: This is one of the most in depth and complicated films you are likely to see that is based on such a simple premise. Everything from top to bottom is great at worse, and astounding at best. Laurent Clantet and Fracois Begaudeau are names to be watched on the foreign film circuit, and will hopefully continue to produce films, although it's almost too much to hope that they will be up to the quality of this brilliant, outstanding, absorbing film. The slight flaws in dialogue and concept are not nearly enough to even slightly hinder this masterpiece.
9.5/10

If you want to, feel free to comment, I appreciate any comment about my reviews.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:01 am
The Wall

8/10 -> B

It's a good movie. A great summary of a school year (from an easy start, exciting moments, to boring ones etc.) with some nice plots points (like racism, sexism, immigration, French society commentary...) thrown in although some seem too blatantly patched onto the story backbone.

It is a bit boring at certain parts (it felt like a three hour movie, rather than a two hour one), but it has enough charms to redeem itself.

Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]