Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Post 1941

Quote:
1941 is a period comedy film directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale. It starred John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd and premiered in December 1979. The film is a comedy about a panic in the Los Angeles area that occurs after the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. The plot is loosely based on the West Coast air raid, an incident that has come to be known as the Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942, and the Battle of Los Angeles, as well as the shelling of the Ellwood oil refinery, near Santa Barbara, by a Japanese submarine. In the film version, the Japanese submarine crew, led by Commander Mitamuru (Toshiro Mifune in a near-parody of other, more serious roles as Japanese officers in American films) are joined by a hard-line German naval captain (Christopher Lee), and have crossed the Pacific Ocean to destroy something "honorable."

Although it was not as financially or critically successful as Spielberg's previous (and later) films, it is widely recognized for its Academy Award-nominated special-effects laden progressive action and camera sequences.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 1941
I love it.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Despite all the crap it gets I think it's pretty good. It gets off to somewhat a slow start and the comedy doesn't work too well (Spielberg isn't very good at poking fun of himself) in the first 45 minutes, but once we get to the jitterbug competition the film really begins to pick up some steam. That sequence is choreographed very nicely. And then all hell breaks loose. I know some people think the film is a little too chaotic for it's own good, but that's what I like about it. It's loud for the sake of being loud. It's fun to watch the documentary to see Zemeckis and Gale talk about how the film originally started off as a small dark comedy, and how that got thrown out the window as soon as Belushi and Aykroyd signed up. It's odd that they're apparent achilles heel, yet wind up being the funniest parts of the film, except for maybe Robert Stack weeping during Dumbo.

It's not as clever as it could've been, and it starts off kind of slow, but it's loud and it's fun. When I watched it again today for the first time in years that's all I wanted it to be.

This film also desperately needs either a new DVD or Blu-ray release. The picture quality on the DVD I have (and it's the only version there is despite there being two DVD's available with different covers) is almost pure shit. Hopefully as more and more Spielberg films make their way onto Blu-ray this one won't be forgotten about.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

One of the two Spielberg movies I don't need to watch more than once. Its ok, but everything including Akyroyd and Belushi are average.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Rather watchable, I guess, for being such a fuckin' train wreck. Probably because of how handsome everything is. But, my god! It's just two-and-a-half hours of people falling down on gigantic sets.

Where did Spielberg learn comedy? I don't mean that as a cliched, off-handed dismissal of his chops...I'm really asking. Because I don't see what influenced the bizarre, graceless slapstick that is this movie. What did he watch that inspired this? It is no school of comedy I can recognize.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]