Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Melinda and Melinda 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Melinda and Melinda 

Post Melinda and Melinda
Melinda and Melinda

Quote:
Melinda and Melinda is a 2004 film written and directed by Woody Allen. It was premiered at the San Sebastian International Film Festival. The film is set in Manhattan and stars Radha Mitchell as the protagonist Melinda, in two storylines; one comic, one tragic. Chloë Sevigny, Jonny Lee Miller, and Chiwetel Ejiofor star in the tragedy story alongside Mitchell, while Will Ferrell, Amanda Peet, and Steve Carell star in the comedy story. The film was given a limited release in the United States on March 18, 2005.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Melinda and Melinda
Loved this one. Radha Mitchell was great. Though the "tragic" storyline wasn't that tragic.

8/10 (B+)

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Melinda and Melinda
{Here's my original review from March 2005: }

Melinda and Melinda: Meta Woody

It is very interesting to see a mature film director like Woody Allen take the cover off the inner workings of his art so we can see the gears turning inside...

Allen has moved through comedy, through drama, through art films, and is now creating meta-art films - - art about the making of art. As always the dialogue is super clever and I enjoyed the dual storyline overlapping structure. The actors were solid - - I wonder if Will Ferrrel will portray Woody full-time from now on - - he did a great job. Overall, not up there with Allen's best work - - the whole enterprise seemed to get bogged down by the end, but still definitely worth seeing...

3 out of 5.

{To add, to my earlier comments: I remember having heard the premise, that I went in hoping to see the exact same story done as a comedy and a tragedy. I was disappointed to see how he fudged it - - because I believe Woody could have made another masterpiece here if he had gone all the way...}

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]