Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Viskningar och rop [Cries and Whispers] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Viskningar och rop [Cries and Whispers] 

Post Viskningar och rop [Cries and Whispers]
Cries and Whispers

Quote:
Cries and Whispers (Swedish: Viskningar och rop, lit. "Whispers and Cries") is a 1972 Swedish film written and directed by Ingmar Bergman and starring Harriet Andersson, Kari Sylwan, Ingrid Thulin and Liv Ullmann. The film is set on a mansion at the end of the 19th century and is about two sisters who watch over their third sister on her deathbed, torn between fearing she might die and hoping that she will. After several unsuccessful experimental films Cries and Whispers was a critical and commercial success, gaining nominations for five Academy Awards. This included a nomination for Best Picture, which was unusual for a foreign-language film.

Cries and Whispers returned to the traditional Bergman themes of the female psyche or the quest for faith and redemption. Unlike Bergman's previous films, Cries and Whispers uses saturated colour, especially crimson. It was for the color and light scheme that the cinematographer and long-time collaborator Sven Nykvist was awarded the Academy Award for Best Cinematography.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Viskningar och rop [Cries and Whispers]
Wait...what are you going to do with that shard of broken glass? You're not going to...oh, you are. Yeeeeeeeesh.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 pm
Extraordinary

loves it.

Last edited by snack on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:34 pm
loyalfromlondon

I... don't know.

It seems like there's no denying its technical brilliance and raw feeling, and yet I didn't love it. Indeed, I was a bit let down. Its stunning images, which I was amazed by while watching the film, seem to have left me altogether.

Perhaps it's because I've become fully aware of Bergman's style and inflections and methods over these past few months, but I found it no more impressive than Through a Glass Darkly, in particular. Not even in my top five Bergman pictures.

Granted, it is brilliant and well-made and all of those other nonsense superlatives. I'm just not sure if I appreciated that as much as I should. Or that I can really do it justice in one of these half-rants, half-mini reviews.

Suffice to say, I'm not sure what I thought of it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]