Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Revolutionary Road 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 16 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 28

Revolutionary Road 
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Revolutionary Road
Saw this again last night and loved it even more. This movie is already underrated by critics.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

getluv wrote:
B-

The film reminds me why i dislike American Beauty (and by extension, the rest of Mendes' work). This feels contrived in everyway. the performances are fine (Winslet outstaged DiCaprio, IMO).

It's also neither thought-provoking nor relevant.

But I agree with MikeQ, it's the performances that make this movie.

I think people who are criticizing the movie and using the script as an excuse and obviously weren't paying attention or see very few films like this, and probably prefer something a bit more loud rather than subtle.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:02 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

munkyfromlondon wrote:
getluv wrote:
B-

The film reminds me why i dislike American Beauty (and by extension, the rest of Mendes' work). This feels contrived in everyway. the performances are fine (Winslet outstaged DiCaprio, IMO).

I think people who are criticizing the movie and using the script as an excuse and obviously weren't paying attention or see very few films like this, and probably prefer something a bit more loud rather than subtle.

I was going to yell at you until i realized what you were doing. Then I LOLed.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:11 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

munkyfromlondon wrote:
getluv wrote:
B-

at least i saw the movie, retard.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:41 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

getluv wrote:
munkyfromlondon wrote:
getluv wrote:
B-

at least i saw the movie, retard.

You're truly an idiot.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

don't talk to me u waste of space.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

:funny:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:10 pm
Extraordinary

I dug it...

...at least for what it was worth.

Sure it's fun watchin' Leo & Kate in those early scenes full of love and hope - - honest to gawd, I thought I was watching an unreleased future dream sequence cut from some unannounced Titanic re-release where Jack somehow survived after all, and they live as remarkably preserved specimens of themselves in a 1950's reality show, and in a later installment (aka: Kate & Leo's next film) we find out that Jack was actually a vampire and bit Rose turning her into the living dead only to see her die every time they henceforth meet...

But that was before things turned bad...

In the big picture, I couldn't really buy all those twists and turns the story was selling despite enjoying the performances. Or, if I were to buy the story, then I couldn't care less about the loser characters they were playing. I coulda gone for a ultra-depressing dark soap opera (heh - - after all, I loved Dogville!) -- but it just t'weren't this one.

I can't really give it a bad grade, considering all the crazy Titanic subtext embedded in the film - - but it isn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the storyline! And as I lead, I kinda dug Revolutionary Road...

5 out of 5.

(Plus, it's Sam Mendes best film, not that that's saying much - - Jarhead, anyone?! :funny: Well, actually, Road To Perdition wasn't half bad... And I never cared for that other popular film of his...)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:20 am
Veteran

Seeing this sometimes this week, I'm excited.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 am
Extraordinary

munkyfromlondon wrote:
I'm glad that us movie people are liking it! The crowd I was with didn't seem to.

Also, question for everyone, were people laughing at inappropriate parts during the movie? Because it was irritating.

There were a few very funny parts - - especially some of Leonardo DiCaprio's character's blow-ups - - I can't believe the humor was entirely unintentional on Mendes part. Though, I saw it with a very serious small audience - - I think I was the only one who laughed out loud in parts.

There is definitely a streak of humor running through this otherwise rather depressing film...

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:07 am
Veteran

Incredible. Simply brilliant. I went into this movie not knowing what to expect. I read a couple of chapters of the book yesterday and solely on those chapters I knew Leo & Kate were meant to play these characters. The movie itself is just incredibly well done. As much as it's a very dark movie it's also a very beautiful, simple and stunning movie. Besides being a great movie I also found it to be, honestly, a commercial for Kate Winslet's acting. She is, incredible in this. While some may disagree with this statement, her performance as April is one of, if not the best performance of this decade I personally have ever seen. She played a woman who has a veneer of being sweet and nice, but this woman is dark, twisted and simply a bad person. The way she plays her darkness without over acting was incredible. She was a better actress in her final, silent scene than 75% of the performances I've seen this year. Incredible. Leo DiCaprio who is being completely forgotten is also incredible in this movie, he gives a moving, and chilling performance as Frank. When they are on screen together though it's explosive. The movie's core message is pretty obvious but the way it's played out, that when that front door closes no one knows what really goes on. The lies seep into the walls, and the one good thing we hold onto can escape from our grasp in seconds and we loose all control. Amazing movie. This is what I waited all year for. Chilling. A/A+

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:23 pm
Extraordinary

Not sure I understand the critic indifference toward the film. It's not one that I want to revisit anytime soon, but also not one that I will forget anytime soon. Hit on many good notes depicting the life of two perfectly fine people with ambition and quality but engaging in a perfectly unhappy marriage due to social circumstances and personal values. Winslet is good as usual, although I do prefer her in The Reader more, but DiCaprio deserves a lot more attention than he has been receiving for the role. On the other hand, I do sort of understand why Shannon is getting passed over; his screen time is not long enough, and even though he acted well in his couple of scenes, it doesn't scream for award attention.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:55 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I never really gave thoughts on this...

Leo was incredible. Kate was incredible. Shannon was great.

The story, imo, was incredibly moving and disturbing.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:08 am
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:
Not sure I understand the critic indifference toward the film.

To me, it was really just a soap opera with high production values and great actors - - the story itself is hardly an epic drama for the ages...

xiayun wrote:
On the other hand, I do sort of understand why Shannon is getting passed over; his screen time is not long enough, and even though he acted well in his couple of scenes, it doesn't scream for award attention.

The worst part about Shannon's role, is that the character has the typical cliché Hollywood mental illness. Instead of the reality of schizophrenia in the 50's, we get another version of a mentally ill person as the wise visionary. It's a similar hackneyed sterotype to the "magical negro"...

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:48 am
Extraordinary

MikeQ. wrote:
In the end, this film feels like an intimate live theatre experience. The actors make the characters so much more than their lines. Kate and Leo both deliver career defining performances, in my opinion. They've come a long way since Titanic, and I'm so proud of them both.

Peace,
Mike

I agree with this 100%. It felt like I was almost watching a play.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:00 pm
College Boy Z

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
xiayun wrote:
Not sure I understand the critic indifference toward the film.

To me, it was really just a soap opera with high production values and great actors - - the story itself is hardly an epic drama for the ages...

Wow, I think bradley nailed it. That's pretty much how I felt.

Plus, it's boring as all hell.

But terrific performances.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:14 pm
Veteran

It was never boring thanks to April, to see how she would react after each fight kept it from dragging, for me was just one of the things that kept me so drawn to the movie. And I agree with it being said that it felt like a live experience.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:45 pm
Extraordinary

No doubt; it felt like watching a play.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I watched this at the beginning of last week but never posted my thoughts.

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD (2008)

This should have ended a bit sooner. I thought the ending would have been brilliant had it ended with April calling for help and giving the address after giving herself an abortion. Or at the very least when Frank was running. I really didn't feel the need to see more. I didn't think going on longer brought anything new to the table, and it just lessened the impact. Of course, mainstream audiences probably would have loathed the ending if it ended where I wanted it to. But I don't see mainstream audiences responding well to this movie at all in the first place.

Kate Winslet was just fantastic and makes the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio, on the other hand, was not up to her level. I hate to say it, but I didn't buy him in this movie. I just don't think he was right for the part. I saw him as giving a performance instead of actually embodying the character. I found him kind of distracting to be honest. The only other person worth mentioning was Michael Shannon, who was great, even if his performance is distractingly similar to Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker.

Overall, it was slightly disappointing and not quite as involving as I had hoped, but it was still great. Most of the finale starting with the dinner scene was excellent. Had it ended where I wanted it to, my rating would have been higher. But I really hated that it went on longer than necessary. Maybe I wasn't really in the mood for it? Because I found it sort of difficult to get into. I can't say I was really enthralled until during the end. I mean, I loved Winslet's performance, and the storyline was great, but there was just something missing. Maybe I won't find that to be the case after I see it again. But I wouldn't hold out hope for that. It's a really good but flawed drama and not a masterpiece like I wanted. It's no Little Children, which it reminds me of, in part because of Kate Winslet being in both.

Grade: 8/10 (B+)

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

The hate for Leo is disgusting.

He was just as great as Winslet.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 pm
Veteran

He honestly was so much better than I went in thinking. And that was mainly because of his lack of recognition. Sad.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:45 pm
Sbil

This was very grim but wonderful. As xia said, it's not something I really want to watch again soon, but I will not forget it. Sam Mendes skillfully shows the claustrophobia enveloping April and (to a lesser extent) Frank. Obviously I can't speak from experience, but I feel like this movie definitely portrayed the implosion of a marriage and its repercussions in 1950s Suburbia well. It's hard to believe Leo and Kate were once the star-crossed young lovers Jack and Rose seeing them interact as Frank and April. Although glimmers of the Wheelers as the affectionate, imaginative couple they once were periodically emerge, their marriage is decidedly painful and difficult to watch. Leonardo DiCaprio, who has been mostly ignored during the awards season, is excellent, while Kate Winslet is staggeringly good in yet another incredible performance. Kathy Bates and Michael Shannon are also terrific in their supporting roles, with Shannon's final scene serving as the catalyst to April and Frank's last blowout, perhaps one of the more powerful scenes in a film of last year. Terrific film. A

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Am I the only one that thought Shannon was invoking Heath Ledger's The Joker in his performance?

Awesome movie regardless. Like American Beauty, a fine commentary on the impact "settling" has on individiuality, the family, and sanity. Leo should definitely have gotten in over Brad for the Oscar. I think what hurt him was the overacting during the first third of the movie. Kate was Kate as she is in other movies - good but a replica of her other characters.

Script, directing, editing, and score were superb. I'm really surprised now that this didn't get a better reception with crictics and Oscar.

A-

Last edited by Mr. Reynolds on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 am
Pure Phase

Sam wrote:
Am I the only one that thought Sheen was invoking Heath Ledger's The Joker in his performance?

There were obvious similarities, but I highly doubt it was intentional, especially since Rev. Road was already well into principal photography when The Dark Knight came out.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:15 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Gunslinger wrote:
Sam wrote:
Am I the only one that thought Shannon was invoking Heath Ledger's The Joker in his performance?

There were obvious similarities, but I highly doubt it was intentional, especially since Rev. Road was already well into principal photography when The Dark Knight came out.

Did they train at the same school for crazy people? Everything about Shannon's character just screamed Joker to me which kinda says something about Heath's performance, no? (I'm probably commiting heresy right now I know.)

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next