Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Punisher: War Zone 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 9

Post Punisher: War Zone

Quote:
Punisher: War Zone is a 2008 comic book action film directed by Lexi Alexander; based on the fictional Marvel Comics vigilante/anti-hero the Punisher. It is the third film to depict the Marvel character Frank Castle (the Punisher). The film is a reboot that follows the original telling of Castle's war on crime and corruption rather than a sequel to 2004's The Punisher or 1989's The Punisher, and is the first film to be produced under the Marvel Studios and Marvel Knights production banner, which focuses on films for mature audiences. Northern Irish actor Ray Stevenson replaced Thomas Jane as Castle. In the film, Castle wages a one-man war against a horribly disfigured mob boss known as Jigsaw (Dominic West). Punisher: War Zone was released in North America by Lionsgate on December 5, 2008, and was released in the United Kingdom on February 6, 2009.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Post Re: Punisher: War Zone
Awesome! :D Pretty much nonstop action, beautifully shot and excessively gory. Heads get blown off, shoved in spikes, a man is eaten alive, another is stabbed with a spear and then burned to death, the list goes on. This may be the most nihilistic film I've ever seen, even moreso than the Saw films and certainly among action movies. Stevenson and West are great with Doug Hutchinson lending psychotic support as West's even more deranged brother.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:25 am
Stanley Cup

i'm scared for todays youth

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:52 pm
Team Kris

I went into this with the lowest expectations possible. I hated the fact that they changed lead actors, I thought Thomas Jane was the perfect Punisher. That being said, I LOVED this movie. The sequel is much more in-your-face action/blood&guts than the previous version. The action is non-stop and is done brilliantly. Some scenes were so over-the-top that they were hilarious (two particular gun shots to the head). I haven't had this much fun in the theater since I saw Rambo earlier this year.

A

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

KC wrote:
I haven't had this much fun in the theater since I saw Rambo earlier this year.

Stop the presses. That's all I needed to hear. I'm definitely skipping this one now!

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:05 pm
Orphan

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
KC wrote:

Stop the presses. That's all I needed to hear. I'm definitely skipping this one now!

You'll regret it. This is brilliant action cinema. No shaky cam to be found, for one thing! :D

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:44 pm
Pure Phase

Mahone wrote:
Awesome! :D Pretty much nonstop action, beautifully shot and excessively gory. Heads get blown off, shoved in spikes, a man is eaten alive, another is stabbed with a spear and then burned to death, the list goes on. This may be the most nihilistic film I've ever seen, even moreso than the Saw films and certainly among action movies. Stevenson and West are great with Doug Hutchinson lending psychotic support as West's even more deranged brother.

This review sounds so... fake.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:05 pm
Orphan

Gunslinger wrote:
Mahone wrote:

This review sounds so... fake.

It's not. :roll: I just loved the movie. Saw it again tonight. Don't like writing long reviews. Hey, I'd love it if Lionsgate was paying me to write fake reviews but alas, that's not the case. Even you should know by now that I'm not a studio shill or plant.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:55 pm
Teenage Dream

I want to see this.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:50 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Mahone wrote:
KC wrote:

You'll regret it. This is brilliant action cinema. [b]No shaky cam to be found,[/] for one thing! :D

And no fluidity either, it was just one box shot after another. The camera never moved with any of the action, it was just locked down all the time. This film would've better served by the camera in a paint shaker style cinematography over the amateurish directing 101 style served up by Lexi. If it wasn't for the over-the-top kill shots this would've been a total waste of time.

Glad you liked it though :)

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:08 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

The Mr Pink wrote:
Mahone wrote:
KC wrote:

You'll regret it. This is brilliant action cinema. [b]No shaky cam to be found,[/] for one thing! :D

And no fluidity either, it was just one box shot after another. The camera never moved with any of the action, it was just locked down all the time. This film would've better served by the camera in a paint shaker style cinematography over the amateurish directing 101 style served up by Lexi. If it wasn't for the over-the-top kill shots this would've been a total waste of time.

I was starting to think it might not be all that bad... but not anymore. That's no way to shoot an action film. :disgust:

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:55 pm
Orphan

Ev@n wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
Mahone wrote:
KC wrote:

I was starting to think it might not be all that bad... but not anymore. That's no way to shoot an action film. :disgust:

Except it's not like that. Pink just hates it so he's saying whatever fits his view.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:56 pm

Mahone wrote:
Ev@n wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
Mahone wrote:
KC wrote:

Except it's not like that. Pink just hates it so he's saying whatever fits his view.

Well, I stll have low expectations. I'll see it eventually anyways tho. I see everything pretty much.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:57 pm
This movie was garbage. Really, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It gets that distinction since I don't see most movies that look like pure shit, but I was dragged to this and wow--what a horrible, horrible movie.

The action was so amazingly boring after a while. There were too many glaring, gaping logic holes to forgive even for something like this. The "acting" was atrocious by every single person. Dominic West and whoever the hell played his brother were stunningly awful and Stevenson couldn't have been more unbelievable as the title character. The writing, though, that offends me as a person. How could someone--a few people, actually--write this shit down and then think "Yeah, that'll do"? I just cannot believe people enjoy this. What an absolute waste of millions and millions of dollars.

EDIT: Oh, I gave it an F.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:41 am
Teenage Dream

This is one of the funniest movies of the year.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:00 pm
Orphan

makeshift wrote:
This is one of the funniest movies of the year.

So you saw it? And I think the humor was mostly intentional. How else do they expect the audience to react to a scene in which a guy is literally blown up in midair? :lol: :funny:

Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 pm
Orphan

http://foywonder.livejournal.com/144680.html

Quote:
One thing I'll definitely say in favor of this movie over a whole slew of other recent action flicks: I could actually follow the action. Lexi Alexander is one of the few action movie directors these days not obsessed with the split second, hyper edited, shaky cam crap that's become a staple of darn near every action flick these days. There was no sense of motion sickness during the action. Some viewers might still get a little sick to their stomach due to the degree of violence she displays, but at least you'll be able to tell who's blowing whose head off.

:yes: :thumbsup: :D

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:21 pm
Leader of the Pack

Well, i'm back to form i believe! The writing is pretty immature, but i have alot of fun bashing it! :yes:

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2008/12/09/latest-comic-hero-punishes-audiences/

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:02 am
Superman: The Movie

I..........liked it? Dominic West was pure shit doing some sort of hybrid of Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro and almost singlehandedly brings down the film all by himself, but I was entertained?

This I know for sure though. It blows the 2004 film right out of the water. That's not exactly a hard feat but considering how the film looked in the trailer, I think that's an accomplishment of some sort. The film also might have worked a little better if Jane were still in the role but Stevenson worked just fine.

**1/2

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Jmart007 wrote:
I..........liked it? Dominic West was pure shit doing some sort of hybrid of Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro and almost singlehandedly brings down the film all by himself, but I was entertained?

This I know for sure though. It blows the 2004 film right out of the water. That's not exactly a hard feat but considering how the film looked in the trailer, I think that's an accomplishment of some sort. The film also might have worked a little better if Jane were still in the role but Stevenson worked just fine.

**1/2

:thumbsup: What did you think of Hutchinson as Looney Bin Jim?

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:54 am
Superman: The Movie

Mahone wrote:
Jmart007 wrote:

**1/2

:thumbsup: What did you think of Hutchinson as Looney Bin Jim?

I thought he was overdoing the crazy thing just a little bit, but since that's what the role basically called for pretty I'd say he was good.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:56 am
Profile WWW

It disgusts me to see 2 A's in this thread. 4th worst movie of the year, I couldn't believe how bad it was. :disgust:

F

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:50 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Very good. - 1/10.

Last edited by Argos on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Fantastic! After what I've heard about this I had high expectations and it didn't let me down one bit. Too bad Newman had to die. :(

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:50 pm
now we know

Watched it before but needed to refresh my memory so I watched it again. It's a good comic-book adaptation. Ray Stevenson is probably a better Frank Castle than Thomas Jane and Dolph Lundgren, but the 2004 Punisher was a better film with better fights, action, and surprisingly, a better villain too. This is more of a pulpy film with its over-the-top villain Jigsaw, the impossible deaths, the corny dialogue ("Sometimes I'd like to get my hands on God" utters Frank to a priest), and the Batman Forever-esque production design. It could have been leaner than it was. The black FBI agent and the ginger haired Punisher helper were useless. But there was no origin story (apart from minor flashbacks), which I appreciated. This Punisher is relentless and there are some sweet kills. Cool actioner.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next