Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Frost/Nixon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

Frost/Nixon 
Stanley Cup

Post Re: Frost/Nixon
Rorschach wrote:
I really think my watching of the stage version has made me appreciate this less.

Cause the fact is that I saw the same two performances, live and front row. No film could ever capture that. Thus, I felt like I was pretty much watching the same thing, except it wasn't as exciting as the first time.

quit being a snob

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:22 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Awesome movie! I give it a B+ because it really is just a riveting exchange and nothing else. Milk is better than this though for many reasons. Langella and Sheen are superb.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 am
I'm Batman

It's a solid movie all around. A great character study. The phone call, Nixon psyching Forst out and vice versa, and the final part of the interview are all fantastic. However, it never has that one moment which makes you say this is the best movie of the year. Excellent, but it wouldn't be in my BP list.

- A-

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:40 am
Extraordinary

Nite Owl wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
I really think my watching of the stage version has made me appreciate this less.

Cause the fact is that I saw the same two performances, live and front row. No film could ever capture that. Thus, I felt like I was pretty much watching the same thing, except it wasn't as exciting as the first time.

quit being a snob

I think it's more bragging than snobbery.

Theatre and film are two entirely different forms - - many plays have failed to successfully make the transition to a film adaptation.

Ron Howard's skill in this case should not be underestimated...

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:26 am
Stanley Cup

Rorschach wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Nite Owl wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

quit being a snob

I think it's more bragging than snobbery.

Indeed it is. I saw the same story but presented in much better fashion.

you suck at life

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:51 pm
College Boy Z

I haven't seen all the Oscar bait yet, but this was excellent and I'm pretty sure nothing's going to top it.

See, unlike something like Slumdog Millionaire (which is also a great flick, btw - don't get me wrong), this actually made the feel at the end, "this is a Best Picture nominee." If not for the award hype, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind the Slumdog Millionaire is a contender for the best film of '08. Not the case with Frost/Nixon. Everything was just nailed to perfection in this, from the brilliant direction by Ron Howard, the phenomenal performances by Frank Langella and Michael Sheen (as well as the supporting performances), etc. The final interview and phone call scene were simply electrifying. It'd be a shame if this missed out on a BP nomination.

It won't go down as my "favorite" film of '08 (although I'd put it high up), but it's definitely one of the best films.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:02 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

^ great points. Frost/Nixon has the Oscar bait credentials. Slumdog does not.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:47 am
Leader of the Pack

Fuck it... This is now my favorite film of the year!

I went and saw it again for the second time tonight and it impacted me even more than the first time i saw it. While it may not be the most clever or inventive film making, I think it is the best all around. Every part of this movie dragged me in from the performances, to the behind the scenes look and espicially the mysterious and tension building score from Hans Zimmer.

This time around i really focused on Langella and his transformation into Nixon. Like A.O. Scott was saying about Pitt on the recent oscar discussion, is that Pitt is unable to show emotion through his eyes. Behind all that makeup, Langella is able to convey the most sincere emotions just through the look in his eyes. As everyone has said before, the phone call and final interview are some of the most enthralling and gripping moments in film this year.

I may be standing in slim crowd here, but I proud to say that Frost/Nixon is my favorite movie of the year, dethroning the seemingly invincible Dark Knight.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:42 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Extremely gripping, fantastic acting, and a premise that may not seem interesting but really captured my attention. Oh and by the way, I liked Sheen's performance a little more than Langella's. Oh well.

A-/B+

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:25 pm
Extraordinary

I haven't seen it, but it's not that good.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Rorschach wrote:

Lucky...

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:43 am
loyalfromlondon

It's not as compelling as it should be, given the material, and the direction is tired and glossy and bland. Langella and Sheen are both terrific, but they're both in service of an utterly mediocre and unambitious project.

I mean, it's not horribly offensive or anything. You'll probably have a good time watching it. But it's nowhere near as good as Michael Clayton or The Queen, as far as similar BP nominees go. It's just not that terribly interesting.

Meh.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:46 pm
You must have big rats

Hehe, it seems like every other review of yours concludes with a "Meh" nowadays.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Not true! I was very much less than meh on Revolutionary Road.

It's not my fault that the Oscar contenders this season have been, without question, the worst bunch in recent memory.

I still loved a lot of films from last year. It's just that most of them got ignored.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 pm
You must have big rats

Too bad cos' Revolutionary Road is actually better than Frost/Nixon, heh.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:48 pm
Profile WWW

trixster wrote:
Not true! I was very much less than meh on Revolutionary Road.

It's not my fault that the Oscar contenders this season have been, without question, the worst bunch in recent memory.

I still loved a lot of films from last year. It's just that most of them got ignored.

I actually agree for the most part, mostly because SM and the Reader are not very good, although I do love Milk, and admired BB. So I kind of split. There were some great movies without recognition, like the fall, but I didn't get to see this in theater, I will still rent the dvd but expect it to disappoint compared to the play.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 pm
New Server, Same X

The movie I was sure I wouldn't like turned out to be the movie I really liked. I found it compelling for the most part, thanks to the Michael Sheen and Frank Langella primarily. No, it's not a film that'll sit with me for a long time, and yes, I do believe it's only purpose is for Oscar attention. But for now, I can see why it was nominated for Best Picture. It may not be my own personal choice, but if the Oscars went with my picks, we'd be doomed.

Grade: A-

BP Ranking (so far):
1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Frost/Nixon
3. Milk

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:18 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Not good at all.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:37 am
Kypade

I have tried twice to watch this film. The first time, the power went out in the entire complex right before I got there. This morning, the projector broke while I was sitting waiting for it to start. All I can assume is that Jesus doesnt want me to see it because he knows how terrible the movie must be.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:39 pm
Kypade

Shack-Fu wrote:
At this point I'm guessing they both make it... but I do find it funny mr. art experiment Gus Van Sant actually made a more conventional and formulaic film, and added less in terms of directorial work or unique touch to his film, than Ron Howard of all people. It's like the twilight zone.
hahaha. Not quite, shak.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:24 pm

not as good as the play, but I was expecting that. 8/10, very stagey, but Howard does a decent job, the movie is saved from the grasp of good by the performances which take it to the level of great.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:50 pm
The Wall

9/10 -> A-

I almost loved it. Sucked me in and didn't let go.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

FROST/NIXON - 8/10 (A-)

Fascinating! Michael Sheen is great and Frank Langella is brilliant! The interview was exciting and spellbinding.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:04 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Frost/Nixon is a strong film based on its wonderful acting. Michael Sheen and Sam Rockwell are some standouts here but the true winner is Frank Langella. It may never take a huge jump or turn but it stays interesting and for the kind of film it is it succeeds in that way. A strong enough representation of a big moment in Nixon's history. ***

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Nothing too special, but the faux documentary style served the film pretty well and the acting was great all around.

B+

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next