Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd: Out of Control 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Post Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd: Out of Control

Quote:
Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd: Out of Control is a direct-to-video motion picture released in 2008. It is a spin-off of the 2008 film Get Smart and was released in North America on July 1, 2008, 10 days after the parent film began its theatrical run. The film is written by Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember, based upon concepts created for the original Get Smart TV series by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry. The director is Gil Junger.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It's pretty sad to see the director of one of the better teen flicks of the last ten years directing a DTV spin-off to Get Smart. Then again, he has also directed Black Knight, so... It's even sadder, though, to see the spin-off to a pretty funny flick fall so miserably on its head. I think its main issue is the simple fact that characters like Bruce and Lloyd work well as side characters and comic reliefs, but should never be given a movie of their own. It's the same reason why I think that there shouldn't be a Tropic Thunder spin-off with Len Grossman as the lead. It just wouldn't work. Not that Bruce and Lloyd have even been as good or funny characters to begin with. There wasn't much of a storyline to squeeze out of them either which explains the lean running time of 65 minutes (no kiddin'!) without the credits.

The whole movie is pretty much a joke, but not in a funny sense. There are about two funny scenes and a dozen jokes that fall flat. The whole storyline is as silly as you can imagine (Bruce and Lloyd going on their first field operation to retrieve a stolen invention of theirs) and the side characters just try too hard to be funny. One nice touch was the Anne Hathaway cameo, but I don't get why they couldn't also get Alan Arkin (probably the original film's best part) and Steve Carell for a cameo. That would have liven up things some more. The movie just proceeds in its shallow pace towards an inevitable finish with only few things of interest along the way (I kinda liked the running gag with J.P. Manoux as Neil, the leads' assistant). I think the only thing that prevented me from giving the movie an even worse grade is simply the likeability of Masi Oka and Nate Torrence. The whole film is better left unseen, though.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
The whole film is better left unseen, though.

I'm surprised you spent the time watching this one...

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:51 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: Re:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
The whole film is better left unseen, though.

I'm surprised you spent the time watching this one...

Wasn't my suggestion. At least it's less than 70 minutes long.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]