Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 What Just Happened 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

What Just Happened 

Post What Just Happened
What Just Happened

Quote:
What Just Happened is a satirical comedy-drama directed by Barry Levinson starring Robert De Niro.

What Just Happened is an independent film, produced by 2929 Productions, Art Linson Productions and Tribeca Productions, and was released on October 17, 2008.

The film is based on the book, What Just Happened? Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line, by Art Linson, about his experiences as a producer in Hollywood.

This film was shown at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, May 25, 2008.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: What Just Happened?
Enormous waste of an all A-list cast. This movie is never really funny, and it's all too predictable. There are some funny moments, but most of the time you'll just cringe and wonder why you're supposed to care about the plot or any of the characters. Catherine Keener, who plays the film studio boss, is the only one that makes the movie watchable.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: What Just Happened?
Considering the cast and the idea it's a disappointment. Considering the Levinson's recent track record it's not a surprise. For anyone with any kind of knowledge of the movie business (which is basically anyone with an internet connection at this point) the film is just too damn predictable. And it's not like the film is directed to those who don't even give the entertainment industry a second glance. Why would they have looked for this film? It's just kind of by the numbers and it doesn't shed any new light on things we don't know. Everyone in Hollywood is an asshole? WOW!

Now despite that, I would've been absolutely fine with the film if it had enough laughs and enough interesting characters to keep me distracted. It doesn't. There are a few bright spots when Keener and Willis show up, and for the most part I liked De Niro's character, but there just isn't enough there to keep things interesting. And the subplots involving De Niro's character and his family, especially the one that briefly involves his daughter which is just thrown in for a "laugh", doesn't work.

There are bits and pieces here that are good, but ultimately it's not a good film.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: What Just Happened
It's nothing groundbreaking - actually its sketchiness is a little unsettling - but it's a decent enough film and provides an insight into certain responsibilities of a movie producer. De Niro is likeable in it. Bruce is not. And it features a pre-Twilight Kristen Stewart. *shrugs*

The final part where Bruce comes out with half his beard gone is a little predictable, but that's fine. The odd part is that I do not understand why everyone is fine with it. He still doesn't look like a leading man. He looks fucking ridiculous. The movie will still be shut down.

Mon May 27, 2019 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]