Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Survival of the Dead 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Survival of the Dead 
loyalfromlondon

Post Survival of the Dead
Survival of the Dead

Quote:
Survival of the Dead is a 2010 American horror film by George A. Romero which follows a group of mercenary National Guardsmen who briefly appeared in Diary of the Dead. The film was first released on DVD in the UK on March 15, 2010, followed by a video on demand release on April 30, 2010, followed by a theatrical release on May 28, 2010.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu May 27, 2010 9:02 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Survival of the Dead
George A. Romero is an influential director. Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are perfect films. Their blend of suspense and social themes was ingenious and established and popularized the zombie film form. Yes, Romero is an influential director. I am sad to report, though, he is no longer a talented director. Survival of the Dead, the sixth film in the "Dead" franchise (a franchise which should have ended in the '80s), is disastrous.

The (dull) action unfolds on Plum Island. The island is populated by a pair of long-feuding Irish American families: the Muldoons and O'Flynns. The clans never see eye-to-eye and this extends to the recent zombie crisis. While the O'Flynn patriarch (Kenneth Welsh) responds to the mobile dead with lethal force, Seamus Muldoon (Richard Fitzpatrick) plans to chain them until an alternate food source or cure is found, or God intervenes. Into this Romeo and Juliet-lite conflict comes a group of disillusioned, well-armed soldiers.

Where to begin? Romero is no longer capable of raising a pulse. He fails to produce a single memorable quiet-scene-LOUD-MUSIC jolt (the easiest scare tactic on record), let alone a sense of dread. And it is ironic: the man who is credited with helping to create independent cinema with Night of the Living Dead now feels constrained by a low budget. There is no D.I.Y. invention to be found here, just bargain-bin CGI. As for Romero's expected social message (Dawn of the Dead was a masterful zombie film and a biting comment on consumerism), it is present, but underdeveloped and uninspired. The Muldoons and O'Flynns could join forces in the face of great danger, but cannot overcome their bitter, neverending infighting. Are the Muldoons "Democrats?" The O'Flynns "Republicans?" Who knows? Who cares? To give the devil its due, there are a handful of redeeming qualities. They are few and far between, though. A couple of the zombie deaths are amusing (the best is in the first five minutes) and Alan Van Sprang, as the leader of the soldiers, and Kathleen Munroe, portraying identical O'Flynn twins, deliver decent, if forgettable, performances.

I hope this is the final film in Romero's once-glorious, now-disgraceful "Dead" franchise. It is not a strong note to end on, but the thought of another half-hearted, legacy-staining, low-brow sequel is much more disturbing than even the most violent scene in Survival of the Dead. In 2010 and moving forward, it seems the generation of directors Romero inspired, including Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead), are more engaged and inspired than the past master himself.

D+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 29, 2010 11:30 am
problem?

I didn't even know this existed. Wtf?

Poor Romero. So old. So should have stopped after the Night remake. It must be his Alzheimer's making him continue to make these crapfests. He thinks it's the 1970s again and he's on the set of Dawn, and by 2pm he goes into a catatonic, zombie like state before suddenly moving. "GAYLE! Where's Gayle? John Leguizamo?"

The only good part in Diary of the Dead was when the blonde chick was like "I'M GETTIN' THE FUCK OUTTA HURR! WHO'S COMING?" then got into the RV and drove the fuck away.

Sun May 30, 2010 1:54 am
Extraordinary

I thought it was a lot of fun, certainly better than Diary of the Dead. A lot of people seem to be taken aback by the fact Survival is intentionally silly.

Mon May 31, 2010 2:22 pm
problem?

So yeah...

Shittah.

But I guess for someone who is basically a zombie himself, it's adequate. But Romero should srsly just like, stop. Land of the Dead sucked Canadian dick, but at least it felt like Night-Dawn-Day. Well, Day. This felt like something only for SyFy channel. And not the semi, sorta good sort of SyFy affair like those Friday TV show thingys like Stargate spinoff #11 and that show with the annoyingly stupid and vapid whore who died but is now in a robot, this was like some srsly super bad SyFy shit.

The milquetoast of the Dead series. At least the main soldier dude was suppppeeerrrr nice to look at.

Image out of Image

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 am
Wallflower

It doesn't look too great but I'm going to rent it anyway. I did enjoy Diary of the Dead. It was entertaining. Hopefully this can at least be that.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 pm
Wallflower

SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD - 5/10 (C-)

During the first half hour or so I almost shut this off several times. Was even tempted during the first scene. It was cheesy and the narration and dialogue were lame. But eventually I started to find some moments entertaining so I stuck with it. It's bad, but I enjoyed it at times.

Poor horse :(.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 am
On autopilot for the summer

Night of the Living Dead- 9/10
Dawn of the Dead- 7.5/10 (Remake gets a 9.5 and is my favorite)
Day of the Dead- 3/10 Piece of Shit film, and the series low.
Land of the Dead- 6.5/10 Good Throwback if silly at times but a fitting conclusion to the official series
Diary of the Dead- 4/10 tries at times, but is just been there done that in handheld camera and zombie films
Survival of the Dead- Will be checking it out soon, as I heard better reviews on imdb.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 am
You must have big rats

C

Romero has really lost it. This was another step down for him and worse than the preceding Diary of the Dead (which I already found to be a tad disappointing). The social criticism is more blunt than ever and a lot of the plot is simply ridiculous and not helped by mediocre performances.

I still like his zombies, though.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]