Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Frameup 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Frameup 

Post Frameup
Frameup

Quote:
Ricky, a dim-witted ex-con, meets Beth, a dim-witted waitress, in an Idaho diner. They take off in his car to Washington and begin an affair. Beth, a lonely romance-novel addict, is hopelessly enamored; Ricky is just in it for the (constant) sex. Beth's longing to visit California and Ricky's longing for quick cash leads them into a desperate situation. Director Jost uses a variety of avant-garde visual and narrative techniques, such as montage, collages, split screens and lengthy, tongue-in-cheek monologues to tell the tragicomic story of two complete losers in love.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Frameup
I hadn't even heard of Jon Jost prior to watching this for my class, but now, I'm intrigued to watch the rest of his oeuvre.

On the surface, it's a crime spree/road movie on the same level as Bonnie and Clyde, Badlands, or Natural Born Killers, but the way Jost tells the story, and the techniques he uses, makes it far weirder than those films, a remarkable accomplishment considering each of their stylized aesthetics. Its subtitle is "12 Movements to the Only Conclusion", and that's exactly how it works; acting more like a symphony or a poem than a film, fulling realizing all of the visual and lyric potential of cinema, while only giving the bare bones of a narrative structure.

It's also got the dual layers of mocking both its genre conventions and cinema in general, referenced in the double meaning of its title. It's neither a typical crime film, nor a normal film at all, and it understands this and plays on our expectations of cinema. It's not an easy movie to watch, but it's a great work to analyze.

I didn't even like it that much, but I can't deny its brilliance. It's that bizarre.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]