Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 My Name is Bruce 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

My Name is Bruce 
Extraordinary

Post My Name is Bruce
My Name is Bruce

Quote:
My Name Is Bruce is a 2007 American comedy horror film, directed, co-produced by and starring B movie cult actor Bruce Campbell. The film was written by Mark Verheiden. It had a theatrical release in October 2008, followed by DVD and Blu-ray releases on February 10, 2009.

Although Sam Raimi, with whom Bruce frequently collaborates, is not involved with this production, much of the film is in the vein of the Evil Dead series. Ted Raimi (Sam's brother), also a frequent collaborator, appears in this film.

Campbell has shown several minutes of the movie during some of his campus lectures, as well as a few public screenings including showings at the sixth annual Ashland Independent Film Festival, CineVegas and the eleventh annual East Lansing Film Festival. A trailer was released for the film as well and is available on various websites. A screening was held at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. Tickets for the show sold out in less than two minutes, breaking the previous Alamo ticket sellout record, which was also set by a Bruce Campbell appearance at the theater in 1998.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Post Re: My Name Is Bruce
OH yeah. I finally got to see this on Monday! And Bruce too. He came to Decatur, IL. I voted B mostly for B movie. It's a movie 100% for Bruce fans though and it's very entertaining - a movie to be viewed by Bruce fans with other Bruce fans. I got to hear Bruce mercilessly rip on Decatur and other Midwesterners and I saw the superfan from Champaign that BC mentions in the Evil Dead commentary.

Matt Damon was actually also in Decatur filming The Informant with Steven Soderbergh about the ADM scandal (Think "The Agribusiness The Insider). That's too much excitement for Decatur IL.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:47 pm
You must have big rats

B/B-

Bruce Campbell is a name to all fans of horror and to see him making fun of himself, his movies, his usual characters and Hollywood in general was a treat to be expected.

Too bad it let down...

I can't really put a finger on what was wrong, but something just didn't work here as well as I hoped for. Campbell is brilliant playing the alcoholic, horny asshole version of himself, but the script is just not strong enough to support his play. The villain is justway too weak. I understand they wanted to do it as trashy and stupid as possible, but whereas Jack Brooks mostly got it right, My Name is Bruce somewhat fails. It was definitely missing the much-needed gore, a good villains and somewhat more inventive deaths (almost everyone is just beheaded). The humor was there and worked well, but I saw this movie not just as a comedy, but as a horror comedy and that's where it didn't really work well, not even as a trashy horror-comedy.

It's still fun, Campbell has many many great lines and delivers them well and the supporting cast includes some good characters (who'd have thought that this movie would actually contain a Brokeback Mountain reference?!), but as I said, the horror part simply didn't work. It was similar this way to me in Bubba Ho-Tep, another film that I felt fell behind its great potential. Ah well, we still have the Evil Dead Trilogy!

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

It's no Evil Dead or Army of Darkness, but definitely a good movie for Bruce Campbell fans with tons of in jokes, and comedy at Campbell's expense.

I think Lecter pretty much nailed it when he said the horror side was lacking, though. While Evil Dead and Army of Darkness were primarily comedies, they had a decent helping of goofy gore/horror to go along with it. This tried, but ultimately failed in that arena. Still well worth watching if you like Campbell or his movies, and I do.

Grade: B

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:32 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Hello, Bruce. My name is Argos.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]