Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Burn After Reading 

What grade would you give this film?
A 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 17 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

Burn After Reading 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Burn After Reading
Burn After Reading

Quote:
Burn After Reading is a 2008 black comedy film written, produced, and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen. The film stars George Clooney, John Malkovich, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins, and Brad Pitt. It was released in the United States on September 12, 2008, and it was released on October 17, 2008 in the United Kingdom. The film had its premiere on August 27, 2008, when it opened the 2008 Venice Film Festival.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Burn After Reading
This takes a reel or two to get going but when it does it it really packs a wallop. Malkovich was fantastic playing an alcoholic CIA agent. While the rest of the cast played their parts superbly. Smart, witty, dark, funny, kind of goofy and corny, thoroughly entertaining.

Grade B+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:06 am
Leader of the Pack

I freaking loved this movie! It is rare that we get a movie that can be classified as a true character piece that revovles around many many different characters. The best part is that everyone brings something to the table that adds up to be one hell of a fun ride. Easily one of the years best.

A-

I will post my official review Tuesday when it gets published in my paper.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:10 am
Devil's Advocate

I like how almost all the events and character decisions are pushed by their preconceived notion of spy films or other cinematic mechanisms, the very stuff the movie is a play on. The satires of the film come out by having these people live up to the spy movie they think they're in. It's a pretty brilliant way to satire a genre, actually.

All the actors are fantastic, my favorites being Clooney and McDormand. I also like what they do with Tilda's character, they play her refreshingly uber straight and cold, but it fits. The Coens' dialogue is as delicious as always.

But for the most part, it's just great, sharp entertainment. It kept my going the whole way through.

My only complaint would be the ending. I'm a big fan of No Country's ending, I thought it was the perfect way to close it off. This one though, I thought it was setting itself up for an amazing maniacal last 20 minutes after the Malkovich and Jenkins scene, and then it just... ends. The last scene is brilliant, as are all the ones with the J.K. Simmons, but I wanted more. Nevertheless, I don't think it hurt the film that much.

While I would be hesitant calling it a masterpiece like some of their other works, overall I'd say it's another great addition to the Coens' library, of which I believe by the end of their careers will rank among legends like Hitch and Kubrick.

4.5/5

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:21 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I thought it was terrific, although the opening scenes, as the Coens are setting up the chess pieces of this story, were pretty uneven. I suspect and hope later viewings will smooth out that section. Still, this is easily the most satisfying comedy of the year so far. I floated out of the theatre. Can't wait to go again.

Clooney (in a bit of post-Leatherheads redemption) and The Jenk were the standouts, with the former grabbing the film's two biggest laughs.

I also want to add that the last thing I ever expected in a Coen Brothers film was a series of well-executed Dermot Mulroney jokes. Oh, and shame on the Focus marketing team for essentially giving away the film's two major, should-have-been-shocking acts of violence. Sigh.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:29 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Oh, please. Shack is right on; the Pitt and McDormand characters take all of their cues on how to deal with this situation from what they've watched on TV. It's one of the film's sarpest running gags, and its one of the Coens tools to really fuck around and play with the narrative conventions of such films. Witness Pitt's first phone call to Osborne Cox. Or, better yet, what they decide to do when Cox won't pay up.

"Why the FUCK would they go to the Russians?"

:lol: :lol:

You said it, J-Malk.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

yoshue wrote:
I thought it was terrific, although the opening scenes, as the Coens are setting up the chess pieces of this story, were pretty uneven. I suspect and hope later viewings will smooth out that section.

Yeah I was going to mention the film doesn't really take off until 20 minutes in, but I cut it out because like you I think that problem won't be there on repeat viewings, when I'm not itching for Pitt and McDormand to show up and for the plot to begin and wondering what this Clooney + Tilda adultery subplot has to do with anything. Like you said, the Coens are having fun twisting the narrative structure here.

And I'm lucky I haven't seen a TV in the last month, I had no inclinations on the deaths. The closet thing was awesomely shocking, in particular.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:07 pm
Extraordinary

I agree with Shack and yoshue on the film.

So yeah,
B+ for the film:thumbsup:

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:01 am
---------

One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. It was a pretty slow movie overall, but I did like most of the characters except for Malkovich, who I couldn't care less about.

Spoiler: show
Killing off Pitt seemed like a bad move for the sake of this movies' legs; I think he was the only one who truly shined and cracked people up. But his death was hilarious I gotta admit. In order not to get caught, his strategy is just to kill himself??? Lol

The ending I did like however. Couldn't have done it better.

B-

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:21 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Hey! Joe's rude and wholly unnecessary Shack-baiting posts disappeared! What gives?

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:23 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

MG Casey, one of us (could have been me, I guess...) really misunderstood how that character died.

Suicide? Did I miss something?

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:27 pm
Kypade

No, you didnt. At least I never got that impression.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think Pitt just saw one of his holsters, Clooney had the gun. I dunno, the scene went fast, will have to pay more attention on the second viewing.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:06 pm
---------

Shack wrote:
I think Pitt just saw one of his holsters, Clooney had the gun. I dunno, the scene went fast, will have to pay more attention on the second viewing.

Oh oh oh. I thought I saw the gun in the holster. That makes more sense though, along with one of George Clooney's earlier lines about his fast reflexes.

I just saw Brad Pitt smiling like he had solved his situation though shooting himself, lol.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:54 pm
Orphan

yoshue wrote:
Hey! Joe's rude and wholly unnecessary Shack-baiting posts disappeared! What gives?

What about the Joe-baiting post above?

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:44 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

:roll:

It's odd. They were there, then they weren't. I'm allowed to be curious. You deleted them?

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:16 pm
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:
:roll:

It's odd. They were there, then they weren't. I'm allowed to be curious. You deleted them?

No, he had a mod do it, because someone edited my post.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:26 pm
Extraordinary

It takes awhile to get going, but unlike most comedies it gets progressively funnier as it goes along. The final scene had me in tears laughing.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:47 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

Clooney had the gun.
Pitts character, not being the brightest bulb on the tree, thought he could just smile really big and walk out of the closet no harm no foul. Clooneys character was startled and instinctively pulled the trigger, thus blowing Pitts head wide open. If you remember Clooneys character made it a point in a few conversations that in 22yrs of service he never once discharged his weapon. So its an ironic twist that when he finally did it was in his lovers closet

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 am

yoshue wrote:

Moved to garbage forum. Along with most (all?) of other Joe-vs-everybody-"fight" posts. Guys, please try to talk about movie only.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

As Frances McDormand would say.. it's "fantastic!" :thumbsup: :funny:

B+

Last edited by Mr. Reynolds on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Coen Brothers deliver another hilarious (yet odd at the same time) comedy. The entire cast was shining but the true star in this was Brad Pitt. He had me cracking up every time he was. It starts out slow, then gets really funny, and has an hilarious ending.

A-

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A strange, often hilarious effort from the Coen Brothers. The first twenty minutes or so are incredibly uneven, often dull and kind of annoying. But things really kick into high gear the minute the story shifts towards the characters played by Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt. After that everything picks up and the characters introduced at the beginning suddenly become a lot more interesting. The performances are all fantastic, especially from John Malkovich, Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt. The latter delivers what is easily one of the year's strongest performances, a role that really shouldn't be counted out come Oscar season. Pitt is lovable and hilarious here and steals every scene he is in without any problem. Anyways, I'd definitely recommend this one and, like other Coen Brothers films, I'm sure I'll appreciate it more on a second viewing. B+

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:04 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

Pretty disappointing. It's so hit and miss in terms of comedy; any scene that didn't have Brad Pitt just did not entertain. And the film is just really, really weird.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:05 pm