Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Gerry 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Gerry 
Extraordinary

Post Gerry
Gerry

Quote:
Gerry is a 2002 film directed by Gus Van Sant, starring Matt Damon and Casey Affleck, who also co-wrote the film with Van Sant. It is the first film of Van Sant's "Death Trilogy", three films based on deaths that occurred in real life, and is succeeded by Elephant and Last Days.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Post Re: Gerry
Horribly boring movie. What a waste of 103 minutes.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:42 pm
Kypade

lol no.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

A good example of how there's more to directing and craft than endlessly pimping your film with long tracking shots and single takes, pretty pictures of a landscape, and time lapse photography. It's not a totally worthless film, I just don't think it's as creative or meaningful as what Van San intended it to be, in either its direction or deeper messages. I guess thematically you could tie the men wandering in the landscape into existentially representing our loneliness/isolation in the world, and maybe how going off the trail at the beginning represents going off the trail in life, but other than that and the tragedy of the last couple minutes, I didn't take that much out of it. You kind of get the feeling Van Sant, Damon, and Affleck intended this to be this amazing, deep meditation on life, but a lot of it just feels rather tame and half-pointless. Like did we really need the scene with Affleck on top of the rock for twenty minutes.

I dunno, I wasn't *that* bored considering the subject matter, the movie is pretty, but as a whole, I thought it was a lot more pedestrian than the filmmakers intended coming in.

2/5

Last edited by Shack on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 pm
Kypade

kypade wrote:
lol no.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

The scene where the Gerrys walk next to each other for around 5 minutes...almost made me turn this off. If not for the ending, I'd give this a D. However, the ending is good and raised the grade to a C-.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

This is the type of movie you watch and realize you've been watching movies totally wrong your entire life.

Is there a point to this movie? I'm not sure. Is it psychological, existential, ecological, sociological? I don't know. Is it merely an exercise in patience, a tirade against our attention deficit times, a pretentiously abstract piece, or a colossal joke? I couldn't tell you. Indeed, it seems like it is all of those things. And yet none of those things. However, what it is, most of all, is utterly and completely transfixing.

I don't think it's meant to be some eternally deep meditation on life or a ruthlessly boring experiment. It's too simplistic and too artistic to be either. The brilliance of the film comes not in some hidden meanings or symbolical ties to external sources, but merely the film itself. Its standing as a piece of art. The beautiful landscape, the shuffling figures, the time-lapse photography, the banal-yet-not-quite-pointless dialogue. It is meant to be watched and admired. Not necessarily studied or poured over for hours. At least, that's what I got out of it.

It may not be as deep or momentous as most people expect, but that's part of its beauty. It's just art.

So yeah, I loved it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:26 pm
Kypade

dammit truckstor :wub:

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 am
Extraordinary

I like movies where you can blink (and get away with it).

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]