Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Extraordinary

Post The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

Quote:
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 is a 2008 sequel to the 2005 film The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. The original cast (America Ferrera, Amber Tamblyn, Alexis Bledel and Blake Lively), return to star in the movie, which was directed by Sanaa Hamri. The film is based upon the fourth novel in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood, but incorporates scenes and storylines from The Second Summer of the Sisterhood and Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood. Unlike the first film The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants which was rated PG, this film is rated PG-13 for mature material and sensuality. The film was released in the US on August 6, 2008.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
I really admire the fact that they chose to call this movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2!

I mean, they coulda easily succumbed to sequel subtitlitis - - a very common and often debilitating disease. This mighta ended up being called TSOTTP: Revenge of the Jeans or The Dark Pants or something equally unimaginative. But, NO! This is a true sequel in that it carries on the stories of the four lead women in the following summer from the summer portrayed in the first film. The four storylines portray a nice spectrum of the lives that girls can get up to these days - - at least what privileged, self aware, girrrrrllll power girls can, anyways.

The four actresses are most enjoyable once again (I was a huge fan of the original movie!). The overlapping episodic storylines are entirely forgivable because of the authenticity with which they're told. I can hardly wait till "next" summer! I liked that the McGuffin was played down this time - - the pants are barely seen let alone worn. This is a very mature decision to let go of the artificial structure and head straight to the heart of the matter - - the four girls' lives and their increasing distance from each other. I'll bet ya right now - - the third film's gonna be downright melancholy... :tears:

All-in-all a very enjoyable and moving night at the movies.

12 out of 5.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:30 am
Extraordinary

For anyone who's interested in a contextualizing flashback, here's a link to the KJ review thread of the original movie...

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:58 am
ef star star kay

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I really admire the fact that they chose to call this movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2!

I mean, they coulda easily succumbed to sequel subtitlitis - - a very common and often debilitating disease. This mighta ended up being called TSOTTP: Revenge of the Jeans or The Dark Pants or something equally unimaginative. But, NO! This is a true sequel in that it carries on the stories of the four lead women in the following summer from the summer portrayed in the first film. The four storylines portray a nice spectrum of the lives that girls can get up to these days - - at least what privileged, self aware, girrrrrllll power girls can, anyways.

The four actresses are most enjoyable once again (I was a huge fan of the original movie!). The overlapping episodic storylines are entirely forgivable because of the authenticity with which they're told. I can hardly wait till "next" summer! I liked that the McGuffin was played down this time - - the pants are barely seen let alone worn. This is a very mature decision to let go of the artificial structure and head straight to the heart of the matter - - the four girls' lives and their increasing distance from each other. I'll bet ya right now - - the third film's gonna be downright melancholy... :tears:

All-in-all a very enjoyable and moving night at the movies.

12 out of 5.

Yay!! I'm really looking forward to this..

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:42 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I really wasn't a huge fan of the first film despite the fact that I really like all four leads, but this installment was better in just about every way. Instead of being bogged down in unrealistic melodrama like the last one, the situations here feel a lot more mature and authentic - which is part of the reason I think it works so well this time around. The four actresses have undeniable chemistry and all of them add a lot to the proceedings. Standouts are definitely America Ferrera, who is wonderful and charismatic here, and Amber Tamblyn, who has many great moments throughout. Blake Lively and Alexis Bledel are both very good as well, but I felt their storylines weren't as interesting and engaging as the other two (especially Bledel's). The screenplay is smart and thoughtful for a film of this sort and gives all of the leads a lot to work with. It's a charming and heartwarming teen film that's definitely worth checking out. B+

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

And Bradley, I wouldn't hold your breath for another installment. I think they wrapped everything up at the end of the film pretty well and gave the storyline a general sense of closure.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:40 am
Profile YIM
Veteran

thompsoncory wrote:
I really wasn't a huge fan of the first film despite the fact that I really like all four leads, but this installment was better in just about every way. Instead of being bogged down in unrealistic melodrama like the last one, the situations here feel a lot more mature and authentic - which is part of the reason I think it works so well this time around. The four actresses have undeniable chemistry and all of them add a lot to the proceedings. Standouts are definitely America Ferrera, who is wonderful and charismatic here, and Amber Tamblyn, who has many great moments throughout. Blake Lively and Alexis Bledel are both very good as well, but I felt their storylines weren't as interesting and engaging as the other two (especially Bledel's). The screenplay is smart and thoughtful for a film of this sort and gives all of the leads a lot to work with. It's a charming and heartwarming teen film that's definitely worth checking out. B+

Was was unrealistic. The dad finding a new family? Moving to Greece and cultures clashing? Or was it the death of a girl with a disease?

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:49 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Mr. Inc wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

Was was unrealistic. The dad finding a new family? Moving to Greece and cultures clashing? Or was it the death of a girl with a disease?

I'm referring primarily to the stupid storyline in Greece with the "Romeo and Juliet" theme (our families hate each other so we aren't allowed to be together) as well as the whole soccer camp thing as well. Ferrera's storyline was fine (she was the best thing about the first film as well), but I found Tamblyn's story incredibly overdramatic and cheesy.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:03 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

thompsoncory wrote:
Mr. Inc wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

I'm referring primarily to the stupid storyline in Greece with the "Romeo and Juliet" theme (our families hate each other so we aren't allowed to be together) as well as the whole soccer camp thing as well. Ferrera's storyline was fine (she was the best thing about the first film as well), but I found Tamblyn's story incredibly overdramatic and cheesy.

Overdramatic. Maybe. Cheesy? No. Tamblyn handled it so well, and it was my favorite story line of the first. I agree on the Romeo and Juliet thing a bit though. I have yet to see this, but the first is excellent.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:18 pm
Wallflower

I actually want to see this, even though the first wasn't very good. And yeah, I'm sure this will be the last SISTERHOOD movie you see. Are there three books? I think they combined the second and third for this movie. It was hard enough to get everyone back together for this one (mostly because of America). If this could have done like 80 Million at the Box Office then maybe they'd want to do another, but even if it's still a decent success they aren't going to go out of their way to make another.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:50 am
Sbil

A worthy follow-up to the first film. The best thing about the original film was how Carmen, Lena, Tibby, and Bridget all felt like real people, not scripted characters. That holds true in this movie; none of the situations seem like they were written for a sitcom and the four come across as real friends. This is largely because of the wonderful performances of America Ferrera, Alexis Bledel, Amber Tamblyn, and Blake Lively, who are all equally as good as they were in the first film. This film's only real drawback is that the storylines aren't quite as involving in the sequel as they were in the original film, and a couple of them have uneven writing (mostly Bridget's, which significantly underuses Blythe Danner). Still, it's always nice to see films like this. B

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Wallflower

SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2 - 8/10 (B+)

I loved it! It was very enjoyable and so much better than the first one. I wish they eventually would do another.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:14 am
ef star star kay

I'm still happy with this one. Well, not really.

I loved the first one (A-). God, it was like one of the best light-toned girl-movie of all time. This one? First thing first, poorly/over-rush developed, in both storyline and the characters. Someone mentioned they combined the second and the third book in one film. That makes sense. It really showed.
Fortunately, thanks to all four leading actresses, this one is still watchable. It feels like I've known them too much to be able hating the film they're in. Plus, there were still some good moment in this film, here and there. I'm going with C+

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:34 am
ef star star kay

f*ck

I was just going through IMDB.com and found out this film is a combination of 2nd + 3rd + 4th book. Wow, that's pretty tough task. And they just failed so miserably.

Oh Carmen, Lena, Tib, and Bee, you guys don't deserve this.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:56 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

D

Terrible. I don't know how to describe it. But it loses the charm of the first and the characters are not grounded enough to make the stories more engaging.

Very disappointing.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]