Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Twister 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Twister 

Post Twister
Twister

Quote:
Twister is a 1996 American disaster/thriller film starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton as "storm chasers" researching tornadoes. It was directed by Jan de Bont. The film was based upon a script by Michael Crichton and Anne-Marie Martin. Its executive producers were Steven Spielberg, Walter Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and Gerald R. Molen. Twister was the second-highest grossing film of 1996 domestically, with an estimated 55 million tickets sold in the US.

In the film, a team of storm chasers try to perfect a data-gathering instrument, designed to be released into the funnel of a tornado, while competing with another better-funded team with a similar device during a tornado outbreak across Oklahoma. The plot is a dramatized view of research projects like VORTEX of the NOAA and the device, called Dorothy, is copied from TOTO used in the 1980s by NSSL.

Twister is notable for being both the first Hollywood feature film to be released on DVD format and the last to be released on HD DVD. Twister has since been released on Blu-ray disc. It was nominated for two Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects and Best Sound in 1997.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Twister
I caught the last half on TV a few nights ago and I'd now have to put this in the guilty pleasure category. Everything that I'm about to bitch and complain about I like within the context of the film. In it's own dumb way the film works. It also helps when you have nice special and practical effects.

What I once found to be an intriguing premise, I find a few years later to be just dumb. Evil/rival stormchasers? Really, that's the best we've got? The ex-wife/fiancee storyline - doesn't work. We all know the fiancee is going to be leaving, why does she even have to be in here? Having Bill and Jo bitch and moan to one another throughout the film would've been good enough, because when all is said and done who gives a shit about them? We're here to watch the tornadoes.

And the entire ending to the film is just dumb as well. First off we have the rival stormchaser's decision to drive right next to the F5 tornado. Whether or not your focused on the money aspect to science, how dumb enough do you have to be to drive about 100 yards next to something that is about a mile wide and can suck you up? And the fact that they get speared by that flying thing (I can't think of what it's called), get sucked up and then fall to the ground only to explode, is just fantastic. But then we've got the other two geniuses driving up to the same tornado. After the first attempt went so well, these two scientists brilliant plan was to drive through a corn field, load Dorothy, set the cruise control on the truck (correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be going over 50mph to set the cruise control?), jump from the truck and then run away from it? The brilliant part about all of this is they stare and cheer once Dorothy is deployed. They don't realize that the thing is coming right towards them. And then to be able to outrun the thing for about five minutes, hide in a barn by strapping themselves in, then actually be in the center of the tornado without getting hit by debris or to breathe although there is dirt and very little oxygen, and then live to tell about it? Well, it's all a fun time.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

This movie rocked.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

It's a guilty pleasure. It's dumb, predictable and the plot is as thin as the characters, but I just love tornado destruction.

B

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:08 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's fun and silly and dumb. For whatever reason, this is my sister's favourite movie.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:46 pm
Forum General

Lol a real disaster movie that even today is lots of fun.

B+

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

B+/A-

For what it was TWISTER is absolutely ridiculous amounts of fun. Over the top in every sense, its a ramshackle vehicle of cliches with then state of the art sfx, but I doubt you'll get a better movie about natural disasters than this.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:02 am
Profile WWW