Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor 

What grade would you give this film?
A 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
D 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
F 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 29

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor 
College Boy Z

Post Re: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
...or that the movie was boring as hell.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:40 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really, really horrible. This is definitely this year's Rush Hour 3. I loved the first two films, but everything in this one felt so forced and lame. Brendan Fraser basically phones it in here and adds nothing new to the character. Maria Bello on the other hand completely destroys the character of Evie with her performance, which is easily one of the worst of the year so far. As Bello has stated many times in publicity for the film, this is NOT the same Evie - and that's a very, very bad thing. Luke Ford and Isabella Leong are also terrible and have no chemistry whatsoever. As for Jet Li, he's barely in the film at all so it's hard to really judge his performance. The production values are terrible, especially considering the budget. Everything looked so cheap and unrealistic, and the action sequences were dull and boring. Rob Cohen's direction is easily the worst so far this year - it was honestly quite appalling. The scenic transitions, the constant close-ups, and worst of all the actors going completely out of the frame during key moments in the film were just a few of the problems here. Add in a lame script with a confusing and rather stupid storyline and you have one of the year's worst so far. I'm just not even going to consider this one a part of the franchise, since the first two were so fun. I have a lot more respect for Rachel Weisz for staying far away from this one. D+

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 pm
Profile YIM
Stanley Cup

Good lord that was awful. There was not a single aspect of that film that was even average. And I swear there was more slo mo in this film then in 300.

F.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:15 pm
ef star star kay

This kind of movie makes me wish having watched it before the critics do. So there would be no 'you hate it because the critics hated it'.

This movie is terribly awful. Lots of 'boom' and 'bang' but zero excitement.

BORING!

D+

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:25 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Ok, wow. First with the positives:

Brenden Frasier and John Hannah, still funny and know what they are doing. But dam. People thought Ford looked older from middleaged Indy to old Indy. Frasier looked very tired in this and his personality definitely was down a few notches.

The rest. Bad to terrible in times. Was there even a plot to this movie. If your undead, why do you need to go to the pool of immortality, obviously if your undead your already immortal. This might be one of the biggest drops in quality I've ever seen (And two was no masterpiece)

This could very well be an F movie for me.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:44 am
Veteran

What.
The.
Christ.
Was.
This.
POS?

F.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I lowered my rating a bit to a D, bordering on lower. It's really inexcusable that the film is this bad.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:17 pm
Profile YIM
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

I can see why it was hated, but overall it was good, dumb fun. The acting and screenplay especially were incredibly bad and cheesy. But the action and CGI was good. It was a fun time at the theater, and if u could get past the screenplay it was an enjoyale film to watch.

B-

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:46 am
Extraordinary

Has Bradley given this as 12 out of 5 yet?

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:55 pm
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
Has Bradley given this as 12 out of 5 yet?

The first two Mummy movies sucked, so I didn't bother wasting my time watching this one... :sleeping:

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:44 am
The Lubitsch Touch

epic fail

There's so much wrong here, and no need to really outline it, but I want to say that I think this movie has the worst casting for a $100+ million picture ever.

I love Maria Bello, but if this movie kills her career, it will be more than deserved.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:27 am
Superman: The Movie

Disposable entertainment in the truest sense of the word. Walking out of the theater I'd say it met my low expectations. You can only anticipate a film so much after the prior film in the series came out seven years ago and wasn't exactly great (it was good). Now that I'm sitting at my computer some hours later, I'm trying to find something to remember that I liked. Well, I liked Brendan Fraser and Maria Bello together despite the fact they didn't have any chemistry with one another. I also liked John Hannah despite the fact that he just wouldn't shut up and pretty much disappears entirely in the last act. I also liked the guy who played Rick and Evelyn's kid, despite the fact that he looked like he was in his late 20s. He's supposed to be 18-21 right? And I liked the action scenes despite the fact that they have a somewhat "bored" quality to them. The one scene I really liked though is the car chase. That actually did have some jump to it. I don't know, maybe it was the pretty colors and the fireworks.

As for what doesn't work, the humor isn't very funny and it becomes kind of obtrusive ("Welcome to the 20th century!" - just shut up Brendan Fraser and keep shooting mummies). Jet Li is in the film for about 15-20 minutes tops. The rest is a CGI version of him that didn't look threatning at all. And then there's the stuff I listed above.

I don't know quite where I stand with this one. One thing I can easily say is that it's not a good film. But I enjoyed it?

**1/2

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:00 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

4/10 -> D

I won't call it awful and terrible because it can get much worse than this (as this year already proved it) but it's bad.

The first two Mummy movies weren't great either, but at least they were fun. I don't mind watching them whenever they're on TV. But this one tries to be funny and it fails. The movie made me laugh once. It tries to be cool and spectacular, but everything comes off pretty uneventful - there is no excitement.

Brendan Frasier was best of the bunch, others ranged from mediocre to boring.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:02 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

What a terrible, terrible movie. The whole thing's played like it's supposed to be some sort of slapstick comedy, though it's not funny in the slightest. So it just becomes ultra-ridiculous. And the fucking Yetis? Are you kidding me?

Shame on those of you who found it entertaining, or who criticized others for hating on it when the critics did also. The critics are right sometimes, y'know.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:26 am
On autopilot for the summer

Absolute best part is when Li could easily kill Frasier, Frasier says fight me like a man, and all the supernatural aspects are dropped and they fought, badly at that. Li should have been embarassed.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:42 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Ev@n wrote:
I can see why it was hated, but overall it was good, dumb fun. The acting and screenplay especially were incredibly bad and cheesy. But the action and CGI was good. It was a fun time at the theater, and if u could get past the screenplay it was an enjoyale film to watch.

B-

C+ now.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:26 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is so dumb and everything is played by the book with no surprises at all. The world building is so messy and rushed as well. The graphics are surprisingly unbelievable here. Everything about this was way down in quality from the other two entries.

Tue May 26, 2020 2:36 am
Forum General

Yeah this is where the franchise really nosedived in terms of quality. Jet Li as the new Mummy villain could have been really cool too because he's played a great villain before, but the writing just wasn't there and Stephen Sommer's energetic direction was sorely missed here. I'd still rather watch this over that boring dreck that was the 2017 reboot though.

C

Tue May 26, 2020 6:51 pm
now we know

This is such a bad movie. It's either very clunky or boring, and never exciting. It also adopted that sort of Chinese style of movie-making, which really makes it hard to decipher much of what's going on (plus all that fake wire-fu nonsense). The change in director from Sommers to Cohen, and the change in writers from Sommers to Gough/Millar is obviously the main reason this one sucks and the others do not. Everything is just off. John Hannah isn't funny as he's paired off with a yak, Maria Bello just isn't Evelyn, Jet Li was not used well, and Isabella Leong's character was irritating. Oh, and the abominable snowmen were ridiculous. I can accept mummies coming to life but not on-command yetis.

I hate to say it, but infusing the series with a Chinese flavour really killed the great vibe created in the first two movies. It, maybe unsurprisingly, felt cheap. Though I will say I enjoyed the jab at the Chinese about personal space. It's so true.

This is the worst Mummy movie of the ones made in my lifetime. Cruise's one isn't great but it's better than Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Gough and Millar obviously did well infusing Hollywood films with tastes of China before in Shanghai Noon and Lethal Weapon 4, but here they failed big time, which leads me to think it might be down to Rob Cohen who was in-between Stealth and Alex Cross, so he obviously wasn't creatively at his best and was still getting work based on his earlier (and better) work, Daylight and xXx. But there was just a whole mix of bad decisions here that it can't be down to one man. I could just sense the Chinese government's presence in certain scenes and certain bits of dialogue, so I presume they had a certain level of creative control since it was also shot in China. When Hollywood works with China it's like a professional basketball team having a disabled player on their team. They always have to hang on the coattails of greatness as executive producers, dragging a production down to their local level.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2