Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Wackness 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Wackness 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The Wackness
The Wackness

Quote:
The Wackness is a 2008 American coming of age drama film by Jonathan Levine and starring Ben Kingsley, Josh Peck, Famke Janssen, and Olivia Thirlby. The film is distributed by Sony Pictures Classics and was released in the U.S. on July 3, 2008.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 am
Sbil

Post Re: The Wackness
Despite a fairly familiar storyline, The Wackness is an enjoyable, well-written comedy about the 1994 summer of a New York City teenage drug dealer. Actor Josh Peck delivers an appealing performance as Luke, the glaze-eyed stoner who matures into a wiser, more mature person over the course of his summer. Ben Kingsley is an absolute riot as Luke's manic psychiatrist Dr. Squires, who Luke pays in pot. The relationship between these two characters is admirable; they would never seem like two characters who would be "friends," but writer/director Jonathan Levine makes their friendship believable. Also well-written is the relationship between Luke and Squires' worldly stepdaughter Stephanie, played by Olivia Thrilby. Thrilby instantly captures the camera's attention, no longer having to play second fiddle the same way she did in Juno. Levine perfectly displays their "summer fling" in a realistic, honest fashion. Famke Janssen, Mary-Kate Olsen, Jane Adams, and Method Man make up a diverse supporting cast. I really enjoyed this film; it's simple, but effective. B+

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:48 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

A wonderful coming-of-age film that is equally hilarious and heartfelt. There are many sequences that will certainly make you laugh out loud, but the ending is both poignant and heartbreaking. This a sweet, well-told nostalgia piece about first love filled with great direction and performances. Jonathan Levine continues to shine as a director after his debut film All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, and perfectly recaptures the feel of '90s New York. His attention to detail is fantastic here in particular. The performances are all great. Ben Kingsley delivers one of his finest, most layered performances in years and this should definitely be a breakout role for Josh Peck, who successfully conveys his character's vulnerability despite the tough exterior. I thought Olivia Thirlby was fantastic as the love interest and the resolution with her character felt very believable and satisfying. Mary-Kate Olsen and Famke Janssen both have rather small supporting roles and don't make much of an impression, but both do solid with the material they are given. I'd definitely recommend checking this one out. A-

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:10 pm
Profile YIM
Motherfuckin' sexual

If I despise anything drug related, will I enjoy this movie?

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Diesel wrote:

I wish I'd gotten a similar heads up before reading your rank ("Motherfuckin' sexual") - - now that's despicable. :|

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:51 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Diesel wrote:

It's about a drug dealer, so...

Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

THE WACKNESS - 7/10 ( B )

Better than I expected. Loved the cinematography.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 pm
Veteran

A. I've been waiting for another A grade film this year, and I've only gotten a lot of almost there pictures. The Wackness came out of left field for me, and totally knocked my socks off. It's a pretty generic coming of age, druggie, story but it becomes elevated so much more. The performances, all around, are excellent. Josh Peck comes off a little rough at the beginning, really eases into his character by the mid way point of the film. Ben Kingsley is hilarious, and it was nice to see MK Olsen in a film, I've always thought those two were good actresses. The film is such a breezy, summer day, rolling a nice joint type of a film. It's funny, not hilarious, but very sweet and honest, without trying too hard. Loved it.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]