Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Love Guru 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

The Love Guru 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Love Guru
Libs wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Libs wrote:
Is anyone surprised Bradley gave this a 35 out of 5?

His "opinions" (which are so over-the-top that they practically come across as parody) have become so predictable at this point than I could guess what rating he could give a movie coming out in December and be right.

Sounds good - - what will be my ratings for Revolutionary Road and The Strange Case of Benjamin Button?

(BTW: Is anyone surprised that Libs is commenting on a low comedy film she hasn't seen? Nope, me neither... ;) )

I'm going to say...

1 out of 5 for Revolutionary Road.

92 out of 5 for Benjamin Button.

I don't even care if those aren't "right" when the time comes. The point is your opinions on both of them will likely be ludicrously exaggerated.

QFT

(For the record, I honestly do love The Love Guru despite all the second guessing in this thread. Sure, it's old school - - more in the spirit of Benny Hill and The Three Stooges, in an era where emo comedies like Forgetting Sarah Marshall are in fashion. But I've never hidden my fanboy passion for low comedies, and Mike Myers knows how to go low - - where else are ya gonna find a Deepak Chopra spoof these days? And if this type of movie is not your bag, or if my style of reviewing is not to your taste, I can only encourage you to skip both and go do something you enjoy instead. Is there really a need to comment in the thread of a movie you have no interest in seeing?)

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:31 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

in what way is FSM an emo comedy? becuz the main character was depressed?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:37 am
Extraordinary

getluv wrote:

Most of the characters in Forgetting Sarah Marshall were self absorbed and whiny, same goes for Knocked Up - - but my point was to compare Love Guru's retro comedy style with what is currently fashionable in comedy films - - not to derail this thread...

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

getluv wrote:

Most of the characters in Forgetting Sarah Marshall were self absorbed and whiny, same goes for Knocked Up - - but my point was to compare Love Guru's retro comedy style with what is currently fashionable in comedy films - - not to derail this thread...

u obviously haven't interacted with another human being in ur life.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:56 am
Stanley Cup

getluv wrote:

yeah damn you Judd Apatow and gang for actually creating realistic characters. DAMN YOU

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:56 pm
Superman: The Movie

Oh how I wanted to like this. The only positive thing I can say about The Love Guru is that I like the character of Guru Pitkah. If Myers had given himself something more to do within the story that was actually you know, funny, then this might have been something. Instead he winds up with a colossal misfire. In it's entire 80 minute running time I laughed out loud once (Myers/Kayne West cameo), and chuckled a couple of other times (Colbert/Gaffigan who are given absolutely nothing to work with and can't even improvise their way out of it). But there's just nothing here. Nothing works. The only person who should actually walk away unscathed is Jessica Alba. She's not given a hell of a lot to do outside of looking gorgeous, but she pulls that off. And although he's been funny on his SNL hosting gigs, Justin Timberlake just embarasses himself here.

I like Myers, I really do. But if this is the best he could write for himself after five years and after a somewhat comedically bankrupt third Austin Powers film, maybe he should just stop. Either that or take anything anyone will give him. Just as long as it's not another film like this.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

:funny:

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Awful. This is easily one of the worst films of the year. It's so painfully juvenile, annoying and unfunny, and at many points I considered walking out. The rather short 88-minute running time stretched on for an eternity as I watched Mike Myers make a complete and utter fool of himself. I'm a huge fan of the Austin Powers and Shrek films and even found something to like in the critically-reviled Cat in the Hat. But here everything just felt so stale and forced. The rest of the performances were terrible, especially from Verne Troyer and Ben Kingsley - who should be ashamed of himself for appearing in this. Jessica Alba doesn't do anything in the movie and therefore fails to make a real impression, and Justin Timberlake is alright but has definitely been better. Stephen Colbert singlehandedly steals the movie, providing the only laughs in an extended cameo as a sports announcer. Otherwise, the whole thing feels like it was written by a twelve-year-old, and not a very talented one at that. In a year that has otherwise been quite solid for comedies (such as the wonderful Forgetting Sarah Marshall), The Love Guru falls flat on its face. Save your money for the other promising comedies being released this summer. D

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:53 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

getluv wrote:
getluv wrote:

u obviously haven't interacted with another human being in ur life.

Oh I know emo's alright, KJ is full of 'em; and I can even confess to my own emo stage when I was a boy (though sadly, the emo stage of life now seems to extend in some poor souls into their 40's or beyond) - - but that doesn't mean I have to like whole movies like FSM based simplisticly on emowhine...

Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:52 am
New Server, Same X

What works: there's a certain likeability to Guru Pitka. If the character had been written to be a little more relatable to the audience (outside if various sex jokes/innuendos), the movie probably would've worked a whole lot better. Oh, and even though Stephen Colbert is given absolutely nothing to work with, it's still fun to see him in a rather long cameo alongside Jim Gaffigan. Neither are particularily funny, but I blame that on the script.

What doesn't: Everything else. I can't see how anyone could care about Roanoke, his wife or whether the Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. So much of this film is unrelatable to the audience. Even a hockey fan like myself couldn't gather enough interest in the hockey aspect of the movie. If Myers is anything, he's ballsy for writing about something that so few Americans care about.

Verne Troyer, Justin Timberlake and Ben Kingsley are especially unfunny in the movie. I blame it half-and-half on them and the script. Like most said, Jessica Alba is wisely written very little. She's just there and that's that. The movie stretches out as many bad puns as it can, with 10% hitting and 90% missing.

I'm a huge fan of Austin Powers. Probably one of my favorite film franchises. And when I saw the commercials, I saw the same Austin Powers humor. So why doesn't it work here? It just works better for a sexually charged character like Powers. You just don't buy it with Myers' extra schticky Pitka. Oh, and Guru Tugginmypuddha isn't funny any of the fifteen times the name is mentioned.

Grade: C-

Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's a hard one to put my finger on.

Really... none of the jokes are funny. Most of them are totally immature, obvious, or just generally mugged up by everyone on screen. But the pure level of the immature, hammed up jokes, and the ridiculousness of some of the casting and plot points actually makes it kind of unique... no comedies pumped out these days are anything like this at all. I mean what other movie would have the climax being a hockey player given the oppurtunity to win the championship in a penalty shot and being psyched out, before his friend rides in with two elephants so they can have sex on the ice to distract him and get his nerves back? The whole movie's like that. I mean, it's not funny, but it's SO ridiculous that despite falling on its face so much, it works. This movie really exists in its own universe... but in a good way.

I also kind of liked the supporting cast. This is probably Jessica Alba's best work yet... I mean she's not "great", but all she's asked to do is make the character believable, and I think she does. It's the first time she's seemed more than completley stiff in a film, I kind of liked the scene where she bitched out the fan, and her singing was unexpected and awful but I liked her spirit. She should do more comedies. Malco, same thing, he's just asked to be believable and he follows through with it. Verne Troyer wasn't as embarrasing as I expected... He doesn't do much, but his casting fits the ridiculous nature of the film (he also has a pretty good outtake in the credits). Ben Kingsley, Timberlake, and Colbert totally fall on their hammed up faces, but again, that's kind of why the movie works. In particular with Kingsley, I can't BELIEVE he signed on for this assault on Ghandi, what a guy. But I'm glad he did.

I could see it gaining a following over time by the laughing at bad movies crowd, I mean I can't really disagree with someone who'd call it the worst movie ever... but I kind of liked it.

3/5

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 am
Stanley Cup

I'm sorry but this film was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. The film is so bad I don't even think I can give it a grade because it doesn't deserve something that high.

Nothing at all works in this piece of shit god awful excuse of a movie. The first penis joke comes flying in at the 40 second mark and doesn't stop. We then get what feels like 8 hours worth of old Austin Power jokes all the way down to fucking Mini Me. Wow congrats Mike you have a midget as a coach and you're calling him a shrimp, woooooooo so fucking original right there. WE then get the usual Mike shit of having funny sounding names and abbreviations that spell such classic lines as Cock and Blow Me. How the fuck is this an actual script? I mean how the fuck do you read this awful thing and go, yes this is a winner, we need to make this film right now. Of course we get the just awesome cameos of Ben Kingsley who continues to prove that he has lost his damn mind and decides to only pick the shittiest possible roles around. This movie makes BloodRayne look like a smart role for him for God sake. We then get 3 back to back cameos of Jessica Simpson, Val Kilmer, and the SVU chick, but of course let's throw in SVU line in and use her name the rest of the movie. IT'S FUCKING CLASSIC HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. It's not. It's fucking miserable. We are then witnessed to just comedic gems of snot in drinks, urine on a mop that you hit people in the face with, more penis jokes, and hell let's throw some fart jokes in while we are at it. I swear all Mike did was watch Austin Powers, find the worst jokes he put in those films and goes, "what if i said it in an awful accent, then it'll be funny right?" I actually had to stop watching the film twice because I needed a break from the utter fucking stupidity of this damn thing.

I guess I can try and go into acting. Everyone sucks. The end. Nobody gives a good performance, nobody made me laugh, everyone should be embarrassed that they were in this film. Mr. Colbert, I forgive you but am still disgusted by you right now.

By the end of the film when I didn't think this piece of shit thing they attempted to call a movie could get any worse, I was treated with two Elephants fucking on an ice rink. This isn't edgy or deep humor, this is stupid juvenile humor that any 8th grade drama student could have wrote. And chances are it would have been funnier.

This was a disaster. This film was so bad I rank it behind other films such as The Mummy 3, Superhero Movie, 88 Minutes, and Meet the Spartans. They all at least received an F or an F-.

This receives nothing. It deserves nothing and everyone involved should be burned at the stake for continuing to prove the stereotype of americans being dumb.

Fuck everyone involved in this film. Fuck all of them.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 am
College Boy Z

Absolutely one of the most ridiculous comedies ever, but yeah, it manages to be really funny. Not anywhere close to the levels of other Myers' comedies, but solid.

The random cameos were great.

B

Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

I still maintain the stance that most of the jokes fail horribly, but it's still... sort of enjoyable to watch?

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:18 pm
Leader of the Pack

After rewatching it, i am not quite as enthused and realized how stupid all of it really is... That being said, i still really enjoy it for what it is :)

So, i am only knocking my grade down from a A- to a B+.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:51 pm
Stanley Cup

i hate all of you

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:29 am
problem?

This was terrible. The only funny moment (srsly, the ONLY funny moment) was Mariska Hargitay's cameo.

Image out of Image, simply for the Mariska joke.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:58 pm
Stanley Cup

Korrgan wrote:
This was terrible. The only funny moment (srsly, the ONLY funny moment) was Mariska Hargitay's cameo.

Image out of Image, simply for the Mariska joke.

wow we agree on something

Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

One of the most unfunny movies ever. I expected to get at least a D+/C- worthy movie with at least a couple funny scenes, but the problem is... there just weren't any. It's a badly acted piece of shit from start to finish. Mike Myers makes an idiot of himself.

D-

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 pm
---------

Definitely not as bad as some as you were saying. Maybe I just went in expecting something very dumb and came out mildly entertained. Verne Troyer was a big weak spot of the film; everyone's tired of midget jokes. I do love the handshake they had in the film. "Break the pickle, tickle tickle!" It's worth a rent though.

Grade: B-

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:56 pm
ha ha, charade you are

I recently saw this on DVD. I believe that since I had extremely low expectations for the film from all the negative reviews I wasn't expecting much, which turned out to be a good thing. There are some very sparce moments that made me laugh, though the majority of the jokes seemed to be contrived or at least assumed that they were funny. Some minor highlights for me was Vern T. actually having dialogue with Mike Myers since he was mute in the Austin Powers movies. Also, the fact that Jessica Alba took some of her lines so seriously (at least as was evidenced by the limited extras on the DVD). When she came out dancing like a Bollywood movie was decently done. Also
I had no idea what they were saying for the greeting until the Mariska Hargitay cameo.

Definitely not one I'll be rewatching anytime soon.

C-

Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:28 am
Devil's Advocate

Saw it again and still liked it

It's so random and shamelessly low, but it has charm. It's a good group movie where you can just roll with its punches. I think it'll get more respect as time goes on.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:04 am
ef star star kay

Maybe because I had the 'below-zero' expectation. Or maybe that I watched this film after watching Zohan (which was painfully to watch).

Whatever, this is certainly not 'an awfully dreadful comedy', not as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't laugh, not even once. But sometimes, it put a smile on my face (though, seriously, I can't remember what scene that made me smile). Myers was actually funny in some scenes. 'The Love Guru' knows what it want to be, it knows its limit and never tried to be something more than 'a silly dirty comedy'. I'm not saying that I liked it. There were still plenty to complain (like how 80% of the jokes fell flat, how many of them went too far). It's just, while it's not -by any mean- a good comedy, I've seen worse.

C

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:46 pm
loyalfromlondon

Way to totally embarrass yourself, the game of hockey, several different cultures, and the entire history of cinema, Mike Myers.

At least it's a film completely befitting of the disaster that is the Toronto Maple Leafs. Holy fucking Christ it's bad.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:38 pm
Stanley Cup

trixster wrote:
Way to totally embarrass yourself, the game of hockey, several different cultures, and the entire history of cinema, Mike Myers.

At least it's a film completely befitting of the disaster that is the Toronto Maple Leafs. Holy fucking Christ it's bad.

thank god someone actually agrees

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next