Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 The Happening 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
D 27%  27%  [ 14 ]
F 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 51

The Happening 
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: The Happening
I rented this the other night thinking to myself that no way could a movie get slaughtered by the internet and critics and be THAT bad, but damn it all if all of you weren't right about this.. Hell, I can't even believe that this movie was released in theatres the same day as The Incredible HULK and made what it did.. The short end of this movie is that the vegetation, plant life, trees, leaves, grass, etc is giving off some sort of toxin in the air causing people to act irrational, act confused, mumble shit to themselves and then commit suicide in some very bold ways.. Best part of the movie was when the guy was in the tiger pit and gets his limbs ripped off.. :funny: Not sure what M. Night Shamaylan was trying to accomplish here, but so far, he's gone from one of the leading directors in Hollywood to be reduced to a joke since he hasn't had 1 hit since The SIXTH SENSE.. Is it possible this guy was simply a 1 hit wonder and probably not rebound back at some point?? What would it take for this guy to rebound?? The SIXTH SENSE 2??

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:01 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Depends on what you mean by hit. If financial, only Lady in the Water is a real flop. I just checked the budget versus worldwide take, and it's $164 million (WW) against a $48 million budget. Can't spin that into failure, unless you're comparing it to The Sixth Sense or Signs.

I bought the DVD and watched it today, and I don't know... it still clicks with me. I enjoy it immensely, could re-watch it again tonight and still think it's a damn fine movie. The only thing that I still find wrong with it is the acting, but I've even warmed up to that. I'm glad M. Night is calling it a B-movie, because that's exactly how I see it.

Also, when he was comparing it to The Godfather and Exorcist, I don't think he meant as overall films. The one scene in particular that still shocks the hell out of me is the scene where the two kids are shot and killed. I also agree with his decision to cut out the scene where the gun shoots off part of the kid's head. It felt better the way it ended up in the movie.

Anyway, I don't really care if people hate this movie, and hate me for liking it. I'm not going to alter my opinion for internet folk, or anyone else. I tried to play down my enjoyment when I first saw it, but not this time. I really fucking enjoyed it.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:19 pm
Full Fledged Member

saying that your film is a joke or not to be taken 100% seriously seems to be the new way to get a director out of a shit hole, doesn't it?

for example, this movie, and appaloosa.

I thought the happening was FAR worse, but they were both awful to say the least

Top Films of 2008:
1) The Dark Knight - 9.5/10
2) Snow Angels - 9.5/10
2) In Bruges - 9.5/10
3) Cloverfield - 9/10
4) Wall-E - 8.5/10
5) Tropic Thunder - 8.5/10
6) The Bank Job - 8.5/10
7) Happy-Go-Lucky - 8/10
8) American Teen - 8/10
9) Speed Racer - 7.5/10

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:06 pm
why so serious?

I hated it. I didn't find it to be scary or amusing; just a big boring mess. D+

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Mike wrote:
getluv wrote:
Mike u disgust me. if u complain about joe again, i will beat u up with a stick.

Why? :P

cuz u like this shit, and love The Village.

The VIllage is without a doubt, one of the worst movies i've ever seen in my entire life.

Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:17 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

D. The only thing that keeps it from an F is that i got through the whole movie for some reason. so it must have done something good.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:06 am
Deshi Basara

F

This was the first MNS movie I didn't see in the theater. Despite hating Signs (D+) becaue of its ending, I liked the first 90% enough to pay to see The Village (C) and hopped to LITW (D-), and that was embarrasing. But it still didn't even prepare me for the embarassment of this movie. This was worse than 95% of the straight to dvd movies I've seen, and my respect for the major filmmakers involved dropped significantly.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:23 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Why did you even see it? You obviously just don't like MNS movies... so why would you see this?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Deshi Basara

bABA wrote:
Why did you even see it? You obviously just don't like MNS movies... so why would you see this?

A friend of mine and I have to see his movies now just to laugh at them and see if he will sink to a new low, which, IMO, he has with every film. I liked 6th Sense and Unbreakable for the most part. But his pretensiousness has been inversely proportional to the quality of the films, and it's a spectacle to behold.

I will say I enjoyed the scene with the lion, and he really should have left the uncut scene in there. And the scene where the kids get killed for being stupid.

Part of why I hate the film is that I like man v. nature films and this did such a ridiculously horrible send up of the theme.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:53 pm
Horror Hound

The thing that ruined this for me was Mark Wahlberg and that girl from Elf's performances..

Seriously, laugh-out-loud bad.

And it wasn't really WHAT they said, it was HOW they said them.

Dissapointing, some nice money shots and an awesome marketing campaign, leading to not alot.

Step up from the Village and Lady in the Water though.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:19 pm
Forum General

This was such a fucking lousy film.
A big fat F.

There should be no excuses for MNS or any "He was going for a B movie angle etc" That's plain bullshit and really clutching at straws. Do you people have nothing better to do than to create excuses for a director who's fallen from his prime? I mean, really, which film-maker would waste 44 days of his life filming a B movie? If he went to the studios saying that he wanted to make a B movie they'd turn his ass away. Use your brains, maybe because it sucked so much he decides to pull a new angle out of his arse. So why don't we all say Uwe Boll is great and Disaster Movie was fantastic because they intended to be and are mind-numbingly retarded? Same logic. :roll: :roll: :roll: :disgust:

The acting was horrible. I like Deschanel and Wahlberg but both couldn't act to save their lives.
And like others have said, what the fuck was wrong with his voice??
He sounded like a child. His emotion seemed incredibly restricted, in other words he didn't make his character believable.
The plot, non-existent, unexplained and retarded in that if the virus resurfaces what was the point in the story of survival, they'll die anyway. Sheesh. Actually that could be the only saving grace for the movie that it's a political statement.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

BK wrote:

There should be no excuses for MNS or any "He was going for a B movie angle etc" That's plain bullshit and really clutching at straws. Do you people have nothing better to do than to create excuses for a director who's fallen from his prime? I mean, really, which film-maker would waste 44 days of his life filming a B movie? If he went to the studios saying that he wanted to make a B movie they'd turn his ass away. Use your brains, maybe because it sucked so much he decides to pull a new angle out of his arse. So why don't we all say Uwe Boll is great and Disaster Movie was fantastic because they intended to be and are mind-numbingly retarded? Same logic. :roll: :roll: :roll: :disgust:

I for one never said that, its a good movie and I enjoyed it end of.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:49 pm
Devil's Advocate

Hey BK, read my post further up on this page. M. Night said it was a B movie. On 3 different occasions.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:04 pm
The Wall

It became a B movie once he realized he could get away with it because some people desperately want to believe The Happening is a B movie, when in fact it's just a bad, bad movie.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Shack wrote:
Hey BK, read my post further up on this page. M. Night said it was a B movie. On 3 different occasions.

I did and I don't believe he started out that way. Probably once he finished filming and realized it sucked he changed his stance.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

BK wrote:
If he went to the studios saying that he wanted to make a B movie they'd turn his ass away.

Studios gave the ok for Quentin Tarantino and Rodriguez to make a B movie and MNS has had more commercial success than those 2 combined

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8