Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Fall (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Fall (2006) 

Post The Fall (2006)
The Fall

Quote:
The Fall is a 2006 film directed by Tarsem Singh, starring Lee Pace, Catinca Untaru, and Justine Waddell. It is based on the screenplay of the 1981 Bulgarian film Yo Ho Ho by Valeri Petrov. The film earned over $3 million worldwide. The film was released to theaters in 2008. It should not be confused with another 2008 release of the same title, a legal drama by John Krueger.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Fall [2006]
Still waiting for this to show up in my neck of the woods - - and though I've been avoiding reading anything about it, I couldn't help seeing Roger Ebert's teaser for his feature article on his website in which he notes that The Fall will be on his 2008 top ten list. As a huge fan of The Cell, I can't wait!

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:39 am
htm

It opened here a few weeks ago and has gotten slammed pretty hard by most friends. It looks gorgeous - I was extremely exciting to see this one.... now, I can't muster up the interest (or I can't reason out a way to drop $12 to see it, coz I'm po').

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:40 pm
Extraordinary

What a mess. Even the visuals could only hold my attention for the first 30 minutes or so. I don't think I've ever seen director so obviously in love with himself and all that he does.

Anyways, its biggest mistake was thinking that we cared about its characters (after all, they did cast an immigrant child!), but we didn't. So nothing worked. And the writing was beyond lazy at points (both the dialogue and storyline). I can't believe they spent four years making this film.

Although, the elephant swimming in the coral reef just might have been the most beautiful thing I've seen on the screen in years. I'll give it a + for that. That is, a + to its D.

D+

And Roger Ebert is a complete idiot, per usual.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:42 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

This finally popped up in my neck of the woods and after seeing it I'm having a difficult time grading it. First off the film is visually amazing. It is by far one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. Each location is breathtakingly photographed either in crisp clean black and white or vibrant vivid colors. Its a visual feast for the eyes.
Then we come to the story. I liked the simple fairytale aspect of the story within the story, but i just didn't like the little girl. She was cute for the first 10-15 minutes but then she started to annoy me and I realized there was still an hour and half to go. The other thing that bothered me was the way it ended. The story was moving in a direction that would've lead to an unhappy tragic ending that would've summed up the film perfectly. But Tarsem opted to go with what appeared to be a compromise and it ruined all that came before.
I'll agree with Loyal in that its hard to really rip on this knowing the amount of effort that went into making this and that if the story matched the visuals this could've been an epic.

So an A for the visuals and a C- for the story should equal a B/B-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:27 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Sounds like City of Lost Children, then.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:50 pm
Wallflower

I hope I like this more than most of you guys. It looks great from the trailer.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:55 pm
Wallflower

THE FALL - 5/10 (C-)

Gorgeous to look at, but the story is terribly weak and uninteresting. Very disappointing!

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:51 pm
Kypade

man i dunno

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:08 pm
Begging Naked

It's far from flawless, but I thought this was, for what it's worth, I really liked it a lot. I think the final 20 minutes or so almost became too smugly nihilistic for its own good, but most everything that preceded jived with me in a weird kind of way. Obviously the film is technically perfect (I agree with snack that the shot of the swimming elephant was...wonderful), and while the film main plot seems to have been assembled from pieces of Arabian Nights, A Little Princess, The Wizard of Oz and many other films (Though apparently it's based on an obscure Bulgarian film), but I was willing to roll with it. But again, in the final section of the story I think Tarsem just kinda lost it.

I'll need to sleep on this. I've never attempted starting a film at midnight, so maybe that's doing something. I guess I'll see.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:22 am
Profile WWW

I like this considerably more than most people on here. The story was rather weak but suitably so, I liked the acting, it was emotional and touched me, (maybe I'm just too sentimental) the writing flet like it flowed well enough, the story was fun and silly, maybe not brilliant but very entertaining. Of course the visuals were exceptional but that has been established.
All in all I really loved it, flaws and all. It's perhaps not a fantastic film but a very very enjoyable one.
9/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:11 am
The Wall

6/10 -> C

A beautiful mess. It's pretty to look at, silly when you think about it, but then at times rather cute, and then at times completely stupid. There was an awesome movie somewhere in here. But it didn't come through. Pity.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]