Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 23 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 34 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 73

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Just saw it. I'll give it an A- I think. It was a good movie, but:

Spoiler: show
I had two main problems with the movie. The ending could have been more subtle. The wedding, and then the wind blowing the hat toward Shia. It was pretty much stating the obvious. The second problem I had was more to do with the story. The guy who played the double crosser turns his back on Indy, and almost lets him die, and then afterwards he says he's a double agent, and they don't even discuss it that he might be lying or question him really, and then he leads Cate Blanchette right to them. It seemed a bit unbalanced how they were trying to create a movie during a time of distrust and Indiana Jones remarkably gets fooled multiple times by the same guy...and is overly trusting.

Cate was definitely one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Mon May 26, 2008 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Speevy wrote:
Rogue wrote:

They got that from the Bible. Looking at the ark would cause instant death (unless you were the high priest). It was kept covered up while being moved because of this. One time the ark was exposed slightly due to a bump on the road and a soldier who accidentally caught a glimpse of it dropped dead instantly. In the movie it was changed to not just looking at the ark but seeing what was inside. It was a change that made sense for cinematic reasons.

The scene with the pen wasn't that far fetched. Ink was shot in the Nazi's eye and he fell backwards to his death.

A little wacky and goofy yes, but nothing like what we saw in this film.

So because something is written to happen in the Bible, it makes it more realistic? Give me a freaking break. The possibility of life from other planets is a lot more plausible than the crap about the Covenant of the Ark. The Covenant of the Ark and the Holy Grail are as far fetched and unrealistic as you can get for Macguffins. Aliens is probably the most plausible one they have used so far in the series.

What the hell are you saying? I'm not making a religious argument. It was pointed out that I shouldn't complain about anything in Crystal Skull not being realistic and the ark was used as an example of why not. I'm pointing out that the moment made sense within the context of the film. It followed the rules that were laid out earlier in the movie (remember the scene where they look at the picture with of the ark and rays are bursting out of it?) It wasn't a moment pulled out of Spielberg's ass just because he wanted to be over the top. Everything in the film (and in the Biblical record that is referenced in the film) point to the possibility of all hell breaking loose if the ark is messed with.

It isn't about plausibility. It is about what fits in the Indy universe.

Just in case you still don't get it: I'm not arguing that what is in the Bible is real. What I am arguing is that it IS real within the universe of Indiana Jones. What that means is that it is not straining your suspension of disbelief to see spirits rise out of the Ark of the Covenant. It is straining your suspension of disbelief to see a man survive a nuclear blast by getting inside an indestructible refrigerator.

Last edited by Rogue on Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 26, 2008 1:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Rogue wrote:
...(remember the scene where they look at the picture with of the ark and rays are bursting out of it?) It wasn't a moment pulled out of Spielberg's ass just because he wanted to be over the top.

When I first saw it way back when, I must say that I thought to myself - - Speilberg is just pulling this moment out of his ass - - honestly. It seemed so out of place, and just an excuse to use his shiny FX...

Mon May 26, 2008 1:26 am
Star Trek XI

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Rogue wrote:
...(remember the scene where they look at the picture with of the ark and rays are bursting out of it?) It wasn't a moment pulled out of Spielberg's ass just because he wanted to be over the top.

When I first saw it way back when, I must say that I thought to myself - - Speilberg is just pulling this moment out of his ass - - honestly. It seemed so out of place, and just an excuse to use his shiny FX...

OK, but you understand that isn't really the case?

Mon May 26, 2008 1:32 am
Profile YIM WWW

Wow...this keeps getting better and better reception everyday, hell outside of Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB you'd have thought it got great WoM.

Mon May 26, 2008 1:49 am
Extraordinary

Rogue wrote:
Rogue wrote:

Yes, Rogue, yes I understand... :roll:

Mon May 26, 2008 2:12 am
On autopilot for the summer

I think even though that the ark is also "not of this world" aliens are just less acceptable then God. So what where the Indiana Jones themes of each films.

Ark= Knowledge that theres is more than this world
TOD= Glory is never found through fortune
LC= Immortality is found through ones mortality
Crystall Skull= Knowledge that there is more to this world.

Thinking about it more and more, while I would have admitted it feels more like TOD and Last Crusade, its certainly the closest to Raiders so far in theme.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon May 26, 2008 2:28 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Thegun wrote:
I think even though that the ark is also "not of this world" aliens are just less acceptable then God. So what where the Indiana Jones themes of each films.

Ark= Knowledge that theres is more than this world
TOD= Glory is never found through fortune
LC= Immortality is found through ones mortality
Crystall Skull= Knowledge that there is more to this world.

Thinking about it more and more, while I would have admitted it feels more like TOD and Last Crusade, its certainly the closest to Raiders so far in theme.

That's why it's my #2 of the series :thumbsup:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 26, 2008 2:42 am
---------

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
More over-the-top in the past films:

Jumping out of a building onto canvases to break one's fall (Temple of Doom)

Riding with a submarine underwater (Raiders)

Birds destroying a Nazi plane (Crusade)

Out mine carting stampeading flowing water (Temple of Doom)

Need I continue???

How is that unrealistic??? The windows in planes back then were much less resistant and birds were always a huge problem.

Mon May 26, 2008 2:50 am
You must have big rats

I've seen it for the second time now and Ive gotta say that my opinion of it didn't improve. The parts I liked a lot the first time around, I loved now even more (most f the jungle action, Frd and beautiful cinematography) and the parts I wasn't fond of the first go seemed even more laughable here. I don't have THAT much of an issue with suspense of disbelief (The fridge scene didn't bother me and the mushroom cloud shot was simply breathtaking), but Shia playing Tarzan was just way too silly and pahetic. Also Spalko's demise seemed stupid.

Why the hell do all Indy films have to go the route that the villains die because of their own greed (for power, immortality, knowledge etc.). It's always the same way, but handled the worst in this one.

Overall, I stick with my original B+. A few nothces below the other three films. T my huge surprise, Iron Man turned out to be a more satisfying film.

Mon May 26, 2008 4:58 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Overall, I stick with my original B+. A few nothces below the other three films. T my huge surprise, Iron Man turned out to be a more satisfying film.

You saw Iron Man more than once? :huh:

EDIT: I better rephrase my question. I get the impression that after you saw Indiana for the second time IM turned out to be a more satisfying movie and you only saw it once. So how do you know if IM will remain more satisfying after you see it again in case you haven't seen it more than once. Just seems like a weird statement to make. :unsure:

After having seen both movies only once, IM looks like it won't hold too good on repeat viewings, while Indiana felt like it can only improve.

Mon May 26, 2008 6:49 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I saw both of them twice, but even having seen it once I would probably have thought the same.

But yeah, I saw Iron Man twice before I saw Indy and I just didn't mention it in my original review in this thread that I liked it more.

Mon May 26, 2008 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Rogue wrote:
Rogue wrote:

Yes, Rogue, yes I understand... :roll:

:funny:

Sorry dude. I didn't mean that the way it came out.

Mon May 26, 2008 11:45 am
Profile YIM WWW

Wonderful movie.

D-

Mon May 26, 2008 11:52 am
Profile WWW

Que?

Mon May 26, 2008 11:55 am

No worries, I gave it an A in the poll.

Everything worked for me, might be nostalgia, might be something else. I just know that I had lots of fun.

And Cate Blanchett...she was never attractive to me, never until this movie. Must be the haircut.

Mon May 26, 2008 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Favorite moments/aspects:

-The nuclear blast (it was pointless to the story and stretched my suspension of disbelief to the max, but damn those effects were amazing)
-The space ship rising from the ground (amazing VFX work, and I liked how they weren't afraid to take the franchise in a new direction. Also, adressing the "it doesn't fit in the film's context" issues, it actually did fit, because lots of things previously in the movie were pointing towards aliens being the responsible ones for the Skull)
-Blanchett's over-the-top performance
-The Indy-Mutt relationship
-The jungle sequence (its one of the biggest action sequences ever, from the chase in the cars, to the ants, and finshing with 3 waterfalls, although I do think the waterfall sequence in Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid was better shot)
-The warehouse scene (perfect reintroduction to the character)
-Nazca being portrayed completely differently as it is in real life (we don't listen to Mexican music and use ponchos in the coast), and seeing the map indicate they were in Cuzco while they were in Nazca (this was very amusing, everyone at my theatre laughed like hell when they saw "Nazca Airport", because there is no Nazca airport)

Least favorite moments/aspects:

-Spalko's death (it would've been better if she exploded into millions of particles ala Xavier in X-Men: The Last Stand, rather than just dissintegrate and float off)
-Ray Winstone's character
-Shia LaBeouf is Tarzan
-Bad CGI monkeys
-The opening scene on the road with the teens (it was pretty pointless)
-Some bad acting from Karen Allen
-Interdimensional beings (big WTF moment, with the portal and "they are in the spaces between the space, I suppose Spielberg/Lucas didn't want them to be just another alien race, but it was unexplained and came off as stupid)

Something that wasn't bad, but kinda unecessary and cliche, was the wedding. It would've been better if they just ended the movie with the group leaving the temple site, they could've included the hat moment there.

Despite some bad parts I still give it an A, it was really really fun.

Mon May 26, 2008 5:59 pm
Veteran

B
Better than the ToD, on the same level as Crusade. The film is a lot of fun. It has a lot of great old nostalgic parts but it also has a lot, of bad parts. The ending for me, was too much. I didn't mind it being over the top but once they showed the you know what, I kinda lost my connection with the movie. Outside of that, the car chase scenes were fun, as was the waterfall thingy. Cate Blanchett made the movie for me, I loved that over the top accent. It was fun but I could have done without the Aliens.

Mon May 26, 2008 6:08 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Saw it for a second time today. I enjoyed the good parts even more (most of the film), but had a few quibbles with certain parts. For example, if the spaceship had been there for thousands of years with all of the aliens fully intact until 500 years ago, why hadn't they taken off long before? Also, why was the obelisk/key fully intact if conquistadors had barged in not so long ago? And how did the conquistadors even manage to get into the alien chamber without a skull to open the door?

The most annoying thing about the film though (apart from Harrison's pronunciation of "nucular") was the skull's seemingly random magnetism. In some scenes it was conveniently magnetic in others, not at all. I particularly liked how at the beginning the crowbars that opened the crate were seemingly unaffected by the magnetic properties of the alien until after they'd pried open the crate. And how the light fixtures only gravitated towards it while it was being moved. They could've saved a fair bit of gun powder by just looking for the light fixtures that were pointing at an odd angle.

Mon May 26, 2008 8:16 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
Saw it for a second time today. I enjoyed the good parts even more (most of the film), but had a few quibbles with certain parts. For example, if the spaceship had been there for thousands of years with all of the aliens fully intact until 500 years ago, why hadn't they taken off long before? Also, why was the obelisk/key fully intact if conquistadors had barged in not so long ago? And how did the conquistadors even manage to get into the alien chamber without a skull to open the door?

The most annoying thing about the film though (apart from Harrison's pronunciation of "nucular") was the skull's seemingly random magnetism. In some scenes it was conveniently magnetic in others, not at all. I particularly liked how at the beginning the crowbars that opened the crate were seemingly unaffected by the magnetic properties of the alien until after they'd pried open the crate. And how the light fixtures only gravitated towards it while it was being moved. They could've saved a fair bit of gun powder by just looking for the light fixtures that were pointing at an odd angle.

That's a property of magnetism.
Magnetic force = (charge on metal) x (velocity) x (magnetic field strength)
So when velocity (speed) is zero, the lamps shouldn't move.

Mon May 26, 2008 8:24 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:

They shouldn't move while it's stationary, but surely they should've at least been fixed in the general direction of the alien while it was stationary.

More magnetism craziness: Spalko's rapier clings to the box at the beginning of the film, but during a swordfight, both her and Mutt's swords are seemingly unaffected by the skull's magnetic properties, even going so far as to fling said skull to and fro using their swords.

Mon May 26, 2008 8:36 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:

They shouldn't move while it's stationary, but surely they should've at least been fixed in the general direction of the alien while it was stationary.

More magnetism craziness: Spalko's rapier clings to the box at the beginning of the film, but during a swordfight, both her and Mutt's swords are seemingly unaffected by the skull's magnetic properties, even going so far as to fling said skull to and fro using their swords.

Well was it the skull that was so highly magnetized or some other part of the alien's body?

Mon May 26, 2008 8:59 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:
snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:

Well was it the skull that was so highly magnetized or some other part of the alien's body?

It was magnetised when they found it in the graveyard. And other times here and there when the film saw fit.

Mon May 26, 2008 9:06 pm
You must have big rats

I agree, the magnetism rules were applied very loosely, hehe.

Mon May 26, 2008 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Snrub wrote:
snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:
snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:

It was magnetised when they found it in the graveyard. And other times here and there when the film saw fit.

Well they didnt explain it enough, but it only would appear magnetized or to have power when Oxley would uncover it. Thats why the ants were about to attack him before he took off, same with the Indians. Perhaps the skull only did it when it was in the open (And yes, while it was in the tomb, it had been removed before so it's power may have only had a single direct line when say Indy had the coins in front of it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon May 26, 2008 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next