Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 23 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 34 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 73

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I personally would give the film a B/B-, enjoying it more than Temple of Doom as it is more in tune with the spirit of the series, but not close to the quality of the other two. Too much obvious CGI, and sometimes it felt as if they are riding in a six-flag theme park rather than facing real danger. You are just there for the ride instead of having to wonder what kind of escape they're going to come up with this time. Would've preferred a bigger and better constructed climax at the end too. On the positive side, the constant humors saved the film for me, and the swords fight was cool.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri May 23, 2008 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

The Incredible BKB wrote:
Thegun wrote:
Oh, anyone else get the Han Solo reference? Theres a lot of little things. Jmart and me had the same feeling. I really recommend to the hardcore fanst to watch it again. We both had that little disappointment. But once you see it again it really feels exactly like the Indy flicks of old. Great humor, the score and the action.

Its so much fun

You were disappointed but it was fun??? Not entirely sure how that goes hand in hand.. If your disappointed by it the 1st time you see it, why waste your $$$ in seeing it again???

I wasn't disappointment in the sense of say the prequels. It was a film just I was forcing myself to love it and I didnt so that dissappointed me that I didnt feel wowed by it. If you read my first post I still thought it was the best film of the summer so far. The 2nd time I saw it, its the best summer blockbuster in years.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 23, 2008 2:05 pm
Superfreak

word; ill change my greade bu d to B-. Its not bad, but I reallllly wanted to love it and it looked so kick ass, but it just wasnt.

Fri May 23, 2008 3:20 pm
Star Trek XI

I was very disappointed. And it pains me to say it, because I'm a huge Indy fan and love Spielberg. Raiders is the first non-animated film I saw at the theater (I was 7) and made me fall in love with cinema.

I knew this movie couldn't capture the magic of Raiders. For one, Raiders is in my mind a legitimate masterpiece. And you can only be introduced to a character as iconic as Indiana Jones once. Expecting this film to recreate that experience in 1981 is putting an unreasonable burden on it. But I did want a film that felt like a true Indiana Jones movie. To give me great action sequence after great action sequence. To have that sense of discovery that the other films captured. I know many here are saying this filmed achieved that. I couldn't disagree more.

Oh, there is some fun to be had here. The section of the film from the introduction of Marion until they reach the temple is a blast. The jungle chase is classic Spielberg, monkeys notwithstanding. The ants were terrific. But this is about 20 minutes of run-time in an over 2hr film.

The #1 problem with this movie in my mind is that Dr. Jones talks a hell of a lot more than he acts. After the intro in Nevada and until we get to Marion, I felt like I was sitting in on a lecture. What was being explained wasn't terribly clear nor exciting. And most of it didn't come in the form of dialog between characters. It seemed as if Harrison Ford was monologuing. It was just dull. (Yes, there is some action in between. The college motorcycle chase and those unexplained natives with the blowguns. But in the grand scheme of things, those action sequences are slight.)

Compare this to the setup in Raiders. After the meeting with the government agents you know what the Nazi's are after and why and what they need to find it (the headpiece). Hardly anything else needed to be explained in the film. Elegant and compelling. If you made me explain the ins and outs of the plot of Crystal Skull and how the artifact ended up where it did, I'd honestly have a hard time.

Even in the big action set piece, the aforementioned jungle chase, something felt off. It wasn't until I reflected on it later that I figured out what bothered me: Indy spent alot of time just driving. I have nothing against Shia but Indy was too passive here. Perhaps this is a subtle way for the filmmakers to acknowledge his age. He takes on more of a Sean Connery role. Better than constant one liners about his age for sure, but I miss the old Indy. :(

Another problem is that even by Indiana Jones standards, it is very hard to suspend disbelief here. In Raiders Indy slid under a truck and managed to get back on (with a wounded arm no less). In Temple we get the jump from the plane on the raft. Both of those require a willing suspension of disbelief. But surviving a nuke by getting in a fridge? One that is launched hundreds of feet? And he just walks away? No. Just no. As for the monkeys, I don't care what the CGI looked like. The issue was that it was so unbelievable that it drew groans from the audience.

But the biggest sin this film commits is with its alien plot and the overblown final sequence. Look, I know there are some that will argue that aliens are no less plausible than spirits from the ark or hearts getting ripped out. I concede that. This isn't about the believability of it. It is about tone. When Jones is searching for something Biblical or supernatural there is more of an element of mystery, of the unknown. Sci-fi just doesn't have the same vibe for me.

Whether you believe in God/Jesus or other spirits or not there is some element of reality to it all. Before you jump down my throat, let me explain. Many don't believe that Christ is a divine being. Cool. Agreed. But you can't deny that there was a historical figure named Jesus who was executed by the Romans in the first century. That is fact. So it is plausible that an archaeologist would be looking for some artifact attributed to this individual. Aliens just take the mystery and plausibility away. I'm trying to explain this the best I can but it is about how the film feels.

This felt wrong. That giant saucer felt wrong. That stupid looking alien felt wrong.

In the end, the whole film just felt wrong.

**/****

Fri May 23, 2008 4:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Rogue wrote:
But surviving a nuke by getting in a fridge? One that is launched hundreds of feet? And he just walks away? No. Just no.

I understand your disappointment in general, but the nuke sequence was just too much fun to criticize like that! Besides have you ever seen a 1950's fridge - - they were built like tanks, and this one was certified lead lined!

Fri May 23, 2008 5:45 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

Wanted a day to really get my opinion down on this movie, I loved it coming out of the theater and thought perhaps it was just the pure rush of seeing Indy back on the screen, and it wasn't. That is not to say however that the movie is without flaws, the only thing I really disliked with the movie was the Marion's character, which is truly a shell of her former self. The Crystal Skull as the macguffin was kind of weak, but didn't hinder the action which was the best part.

A-

Fri May 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Rogue wrote:
I was very disappointed. And it pains me to say it, because I'm a huge Indy fan and love Spielberg. Raiders is the first non-animated film I saw at the theater (I was 7) and made me fall in love with cinema.

I knew this movie couldn't capture the magic of Raiders. For one, Raiders is in my mind a legitimate masterpiece. And you can only be introduced to a character as iconic as Indiana Jones once. Expecting this film to recreate that experience in 1981 is putting an unreasonable burden on it. But I did want a film that felt like a true Indiana Jones movie. To give me great action sequence after great action sequence. To have that sense of discovery that the other films captured. I know many here are saying this filmed achieved that. I couldn't disagree more.

Oh, there is some fun to be had here. The section of the film from the introduction of Marion until they reach the temple is a blast. The jungle chase is classic Spielberg, monkeys notwithstanding. The ants were terrific. But this is about 20 minutes of run-time in an over 2hr film.

The #1 problem with this movie in my mind is that Dr. Jones talks a hell of a lot more than he acts. After the intro in Nevada and until we get to Marion, I felt like I was sitting in on a lecture. What was being explained wasn't terribly clear nor exciting. And most of it didn't come in the form of dialog between characters. It seemed as if Harrison Ford was monologuing. It was just dull. (Yes, there is some action in between. The college motorcycle chase and those unexplained natives with the blowguns. But in the grand scheme of things, those action sequences are slight.)

Compare this to the setup in Raiders. After the meeting with the government agents you know what the Nazi's are after and why and what they need to find it (the headpiece). Hardly anything else needed to be explained in the film. Elegant and compelling. If you made me explain the ins and outs of the plot of Crystal Skull and how the artifact ended up where it did, I'd honestly have a hard time.

Even in the big action set piece, the aforementioned jungle chase, something felt off. It wasn't until I reflected on it later that I figured out what bothered me: Indy spent alot of time just driving. I have nothing against Shia but Indy was too passive here. Perhaps this is a subtle way for the filmmakers to acknowledge his age. He takes on more of a Sean Connery role. Better than constant one liners about his age for sure, but I miss the old Indy. :(

Another problem is that even by Indiana Jones standards, it is very hard to suspend disbelief here. In Raiders Indy slid under a truck and managed to get back on (with a wounded arm no less). In Temple we get the jump from the plane on the raft. Both of those require a willing suspension of disbelief. But surviving a nuke by getting in a fridge? One that is launched hundreds of feet? And he just walks away? No. Just no. As for the monkeys, I don't care what the CGI looked like. The issue was that it was so unbelievable that it drew groans from the audience.

But the biggest sin this film commits is with its alien plot and the overblown final sequence. Look, I know there are some that will argue that aliens are no less plausible than spirits from the ark or hearts getting ripped out. I concede that. This isn't about the believability of it. It is about tone. When Jones is searching for something Biblical or supernatural there is more of an element of mystery, of the unknown. Sci-fi just doesn't have the same vibe for me.

Whether you believe in God/Jesus or other spirits or not there is some element of reality to it all. Before you jump down my throat, let me explain. Many don't believe that Christ is a divine being. Cool. Agreed. But you can't deny that there was a historical figure named Jesus who was executed by the Romans in the first century. That is fact. So it is plausible that an archaeologist would be looking for some artifact attributed to this individual. Aliens just take the mystery and plausibility away. I'm trying to explain this the best I can but it is about how the film feels.

This felt wrong. That giant saucer felt wrong. That stupid looking alien felt wrong.

In the end, the whole film just felt wrong.

**/****

Religion was no where near as big in the 50s. It was the beginning of the baby boomer where technology two simple sides. Science fiction was the rage. And theres not many great religious things to go for after the Ark and the Grail. The space and the Nuclear Arms race were the biggest moments of the decade. I mean 1957 was the year of Sputnik. It would have felt odd if they didnt at least corporate the military, educational times of the era. But not griping you, if you didnt like it, you didnt like it. I do recommend a second viewing though, once you see it once the flaws inexplainalbe turn to welcomed changes that work much better the 2nd time.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 23, 2008 7:38 pm
Cream of the Crop

Gun, religion was just as big in the 50's as it is now, it's just MARKETED more now. Back then, you had the "traditional" family stereotype and like it or not, Nixon was right about the Silent Majority. Just because they're not out there advertising like the televangelist scam-artists of today does not mean that people weren't hugely religious in the 1950's. The way religion is seen has changed over the years but it has always had a very big presence in this country and still plays a huge factor in whether someone can even get elected.

Fri May 23, 2008 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Thegun wrote:
Religion was no where near as big in the 50s. It was the beginning of the baby boomer where technology two simple sides. Science fiction was the rage. And theres not many great religious things to go for after the Ark and the Grail. The space and the Nuclear Arms race were the biggest moments of the decade. I mean 1957 was the year of Sputnik. It would have felt odd if they didnt at least corporate the military, educational times of the era. But not griping you, if you didnt like it, you didnt like it. I do recommend a second viewing though, once you see it once the flaws inexplainalbe turn to welcomed changes that work much better the 2nd time.

The thing is, the aliens came out of NOWHERE. There was barely a hint of it after the marks on the prison scene. I feel like they were trying to make the alien part a surprise, but did it horribly. For a film to take that big of a jump, you have to ease the audience into it. PLUS, the movie didn't even cover the culture part of the aliens in the 50's, which made it even more random.

Fri May 23, 2008 8:46 pm
Team Kris

Well this was just your average run of the mill action film, which is to say I was truely disappointed. Ford is great but was really, really showing his age in this film. It's just hard to compare the three movies made 20 years ago to this. They were fresh and entertaining. This seemed tired and old. I was going along with the alien plot, but the ending just ruined everything. Along the way we got some decent action scenes with jokes that fell flat.

Again this was just an ok action movie, but when you have the name Indiana Jones on it, that just doesn't cut it.

C

Fri May 23, 2008 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

KC wrote:
Ford is great but was really, really showing his age in this film.

Really, really? I didn't see it...

Fri May 23, 2008 8:52 pm

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Gun, religion was just as big in the 50's as it is now, it's just MARKETED more now. Back then, you had the "traditional" family stereotype and like it or not, Nixon was right about the Silent Majority. Just because they're not out there advertising like the televangelist scam-artists of today does not mean that people weren't hugely religious in the 1950's. The way religion is seen has changed over the years but it has always had a very big presence in this country and still plays a huge factor in whether someone can even get elected.

Im not saying religion wasn't there, but there was certainly a shift. The Vatican did not lost a lot of power at this time until Paul II came in. Being Polish and anti communist, The Catholic church was fighting it's lost in the 1970s. In the US, the nuclear family and parent morals grew. This was a time when existentialism and the testing of science and reason began to go more further than ever before.

I am not getting into this type of debate so I agree to disagree on this one.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 23, 2008 8:52 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

MG Casey wrote:
Thegun wrote:

The thing is, the aliens came out of NOWHERE. There was barely a hint of it after the marks on the prison scene. I feel like they were trying to make the alien part a surprise, but did it horribly. For a film to take that big of a jump, you have to ease the audience into it. PLUS, the movie didn't even cover the culture part of the aliens in the 50's, which made it even more random.

Well the body exhumed at the beginning points to it, and if you missed it the first time the same body is in the Russian Camp, it didn't come out of NOWHERE there were pretty huge hints.

Fri May 23, 2008 8:53 pm
Team Kris

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
KC wrote:
Ford is great but was really, really showing his age in this film.

Really, really? I didn't see it...

If you look closely, you can see his AARP card fly out during the car chase. ;)

Fri May 23, 2008 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Timayd wrote:

Well the body exhumed at the beginning points to it, and if you missed it the first time the same body is in the Russian Camp, it didn't come out of NOWHERE there were pretty huge hints.[/quote]
I meant more of a theme to the movie. Maybe some shots of the first spacecraft taking off. It's just these two genres didn't mix that well for me.

Fri May 23, 2008 9:10 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

MG Casey wrote:
Timayd wrote:

Well the body exhumed at the beginning points to it, and if you missed it the first time the same body is in the Russian Camp, it didn't come out of NOWHERE there were pretty huge hints.

I meant more of a theme to the movie. Maybe some shots of the first spacecraft taking off. It's just these two genres didn't mix that well for me.[/quote]

Oh sorry missed your point, it didn't bother me as I saw it as a logical point for the 50's to take.

Fri May 23, 2008 10:06 pm
Romosexual!

xiayun wrote:
I personally would give the film a B/B-, enjoying it more than Temple of Doom as it is more in tune with the spirit of the series, but not close to the quality of the other two. Too much obvious CGI, and sometimes it felt as if they are riding in a six-flag theme park rather than facing real danger. You are just there for the ride instead of having to wonder what kind of escape they're going to come up with this time. Would've preferred a bigger and better constructed climax at the end too. On the positive side, the constant humors saved the film for me, and the swords fight was cool.

agree :thumbsup:

Fri May 23, 2008 10:14 pm
The Incredible Hulk

I really enjoyed this film. It was nice to finally see Indy back on the big screen, an absolute treat. Some of its flaws though i found incredibly hard to swallow. Going over the waterfall and Mutt swinging on the vines - aaarrrggg - just dreadful.
And how much of this was actually filmed on location? Besides the opening it didn't look like a single thing which i'm not the biggest fan of. I much prefer to have this type of film, like the 3 before it, to have a nice mix of location and sets. But thats just a personal thing i guess.
The cast was great. Ford was in fantastic form. Hasn't lost his touch at all. Shia is so damn charming. I thought he was great in Disturbia and Transformers and he turns out another good performance here.
They had excellent chemistry and i thought the movie flowed best when it was just those two together.
I agree that the shot of Indy with the mushroom cloud and the UFO one too were absolutely breathtaking. Great stuff.
The alien thing didn't bother me either. I kind of liked that it went in that direction.

B+

Raiders of the Lost Ark A+
Temple of Doom B+
Last Crusade A

Fri May 23, 2008 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

All in all, I was very satisfied with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Given that I really liked the first three films (loved Raiders more than the others though) and that this is the first film in the franchise to be released in my lifetime, I went in with high expectations that were met for the most part. It's no Raiders, but it's about on par with Last Crusade, which it resembles in structure and spirit. Harrison Ford still has all the right moves in the title role. Though his act has lost some of its luster with age, he still makes Indy one of the coolest action heroes out there. (And I was pleasantly surprised to see that there weren't as many "see how old he is?" jokes as I thought there would be.) It's particularly entertaining to see his onscreen reunion with Karen Allen, who reprises the Marion role she played in Raiders. The new cast members are also fairly solid, with Cate Blanchett and Shia LaBeouf being the standout. Blanchett gets into the role and has a lot of fun with it, which is no shocker. LaBeouf gamely meets the challenge of holding his own with Ford, as the two have a really solid buddy chemistry. And of course, as always, the action scenes are riveting. The highlight is the jungle chase scene, which highlights the kind of wild entertainment and cleverly executed humor the franchise has seen much of its success spring from. Considering that I thought that neither of the two sequels before this one were as good as Raiders, I thought this was about as solid a sequel as could have been hoped for. I'm really looking forward to going back and seeing it again.

Grade: B+

Fri May 23, 2008 11:57 pm
Extraordinary

Indiana Jones 4

the online ticket booth said only 74 seats were left when i bought mine but it seemed like there were at least than in empty seats. I'd say 80% full.

2140 showing 052308

Get Smart-audience liked
Curious case of...-audience unsure (I thought looked interesting)
Dark Knight-good vibe (didn't like trailer first time but I was psyched this time)
**maybe it was the digital screen and the sound, idk**
Kung Fu Panda-audience liked

My Pros

Liked the return of Indy
Enjoyed the beginning action piece at A51 and the nuclear blast but the shot of Indy just after it was a bit much
Liked the intro of Mutt and the motorcycle chase in the city
Enjoyed hearing Indy talk about the legend setting up the search during the rest of the film
Really liked Cate as the russian villain
Mutt being Indy's son and reuniting with the mother was okay with me
I liked the sword fight on the army cars but the near split sword fighting and later Mutt swinging through the trees like Tarzan was a bit much
I really found 90-95% of the film to be extremely enjoyable to watch

My Cons

I don't recall Indy or every other good guy ever not getting hit by any bullet fired. I know it's Indy but that was just too much inaccurate bullet fire.
The last 5-10 minutes inside the chamber with the 13 was becoming way Way WAY over the top.
Why did SS have to infuse aliens into this movie like he did. Ugh. I'm so tired of it and the whole turning into a space ship at the end was eye roll inducing for me. COME ON! That was just excessive and the way the valley just crumbled and got destroyed reminded me of the ending in Mummy 2.

Other than that last bit, I thought the film was very good and I enjoyed the return of Indy and would not hesitate to see a movie with SL starting a new Indy.

Grade - A (even factoring the Alien nonsense ending)

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat May 24, 2008 1:33 am

Im not sure if this helps. The bullets really didnt bother me other than the wearhouse scene, but then I began thinking. Wouldn't the whole magnetized crate and remains (That were strong enough to move those big ass lights in the beginning) I thought that it would cause the bullets to not hit accurately.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat May 24, 2008 1:41 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

This is easily the #2 of the Indy series. Mainly BECAUSE of the aliens.

:wub2:

9.6/10 A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat May 24, 2008 2:26 am
Extraordinary

MG Casey wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Really?
The giant Area 51 signs in the beginning didn't get to you? What about the Alien mummy that showed up 5 minutes later?

Sat May 24, 2008 2:30 am
Extraordinary

Munk·E wrote:
This is easily the #2 of the Indy series. Mainly BECAUSE of the aliens.

:wub2:

9.6/10 A

Ya know, I don't hate the idea of using the aliens (being A51 and referencing 1947) but why make them look similar to the ones in CE and AI. I think they could have redone that whole portal scene without having a huge spaceship emerge from the ground (that I know I really hate). That whole ending could have been handled so differently. I just don't know how they thought it was okay to settle on the idea of a spaceship emerging from the ground...

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat May 24, 2008 2:33 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I loved it.

Thus, it was a good idea.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat May 24, 2008 2:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next