Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Son of Rambow 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Son of Rambow 

Post Son of Rambow
Son of Rambow

Quote:
Son of Rambow is a 2008 comedy-drama film written and directed by Garth Jennings. The film premiered January 22, 2007 at the Sundance Film Festival. It was later shown at the Newport Beach Film Festival, Seattle International Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival and Glasgow Film Festival. The film was also shown at the 51st BFI London Film Festival. Son of Rambow was released in the United Kingdom on 4 April 2008 and opened in limited release in the United States on 2 May 2008. Set during an English summer during the early 1980s, the film is a coming of age story about two schoolboys.

Sun May 18, 2008 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Son of Rambow
Yes, I've seen Son of Rambow, but sadly it is one of those films with a great idea, poorly implemented.

My anticipation was high after falling in love with the trailer I saw some months ago, but the central story of two boys in difficult life circumstances was watered down into a diffuse story about a whole passel of children, with only peripheral stories about the two boys' families which could have been the main secondary story. Yup, the writers screwed up a home run - - but then, what do writers ever know about baseball.

The two lead boys were perfect, and ready to run with the central story, and I easily coulda seen more of the fantasy and animated sequences which ended up seeming like an afterthought.

Sigh...

3 out of 5.

Sun May 18, 2008 8:19 am
He didn't look busy?!

sorry to hear that, considering how much I've been looking forward to it, but it's still certified fresh on RT, so I'll probably check it out on DVD.

Sun May 18, 2008 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Hard to believe that...
Quote:
"Son of Rambow"... became a crowd favorite at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, prompting Vantage to win the bidding war with a reported $8 million. (Link.)

...they musta gotten into some bad wine spritzers up there or somethin'...

Mon May 19, 2008 9:19 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

An absolute delight. This movie was just so adorable and charming. A great story of friendship along with an effective commentary on why movies touch audiences in the first place. Not to mention a good portion of it was hilarious. Bill Milner and Will Poulter, both making their feature film debuts, are great in the leading roles and should have successful careers after this project. And the direction by Garth Jennings was effortlessly imaginative. This was just such a heartwarming film, a project that is sure to leave you smiling once the end credits roll. A-

Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 pm
Profile YIM
Let's Call It A Bromance

A very fun movie which has two great leads and a very clever story behind. Filled with plenty of smart laughs and fun.

A-

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Its wickedly funny, downright adorable and unbelievably charming. The friendship between the two boys and the bond they develop was really well done, which added another level of enjoyment to the film. Plus throw in a kickass '80's soundtrack and this my friends is home run. And as Thompsoncory said it really does show why movies connect with us they way they do.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:46 am
He didn't look busy?!

Although it has its weak elements, this is essentially Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer with an old-school video camera, and that concept works throughout the entire movie, even though the focus often drifts away from filmmaking. The two leads are very charismatic and capture their part well, and the French guy's pretty funny. The rest of the cast doesn't have much to do, as this film is more about the moviemaking and the central performances. I think that things get a little too dramatic (and violent) towards the end, but for a mostly lighthearted tale about friendship, and about kids with wild imaginations about films (something I know I can relate to), this is a very successful film. Too bad it never found an audience.

B+

Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

SON OF RAMBOW - 7/10 ( B )

My rating would have been a B- but the wonderful, sweet ending bumped it up a bit.

I wasn't aware that Gossip Girl's Ed Westwick was in this, so that was a surprise.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]