Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Back to the Future 

What grade would you give this film?
A 92%  92%  [ 22 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 24

Back to the Future 
The Antichrist

Post Re: Back to the Future
Gullimont wrote:
Omni wrote:
Gee, how many A's. :wacko:
Enjoyable, but nothing more. B/B+ The ending reeks of bourgeoisie.

We get it your a wannabe Communist, I'll remember to apply my own stringent political viewpoints to a film in future as well sounds great. :er:
Tsk tsk tsk, that's just something I noticed and it doesn't affect my grade. Well, maybe just a little, the reason I'm not sure about giving it that "+".

Besides that, (almost?) everyone judges movies following also their political ideas. Didn't you trash Death Sentence because it was a fascist crap?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:33 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Omni wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
Omni wrote:

We get it your a wannabe Communist, I'll remember to apply my own stringent political viewpoints to a film in future as well sounds great. :er:
Tsk tsk tsk, that's just something I noticed and it doesn't affect my grade. Well, maybe just a little, the reason I'm not sure about giving it that "+".

Besides that, (almost?) everyone judges movies following also their political ideas. Didn't you trash Death Sentence because it was a fascist crap?

No, did you even read my review? Thanks for re-inforcing my view with that comment thou. :thumbsup:

Indeed if I followed your cuckoo logic I'd be giving every Michael Moore film an automatic A+!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:57 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Never saw the first clip before, thanks Loyal.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:19 am
The Antichrist

Gullimont wrote:
Omni wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
Omni wrote:

No, did you even read my review? Thanks for re-inforcing my view with that comment thou. :thumbsup:

Indeed if I followed your cuckoo logic I'd be giving every Michael Moore film an automatic A+!
Notice the word "also". Of course there are many other elements and factors you take into account when you watch a movie, your political orientation is just one of them.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:50 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Omni wrote:
Notice the word "also". Of course there are many other elements and factors you take into account when you watch a movie, your political orientation is just one of them.

Thats the most amusing backpedal I've read in a while, bravo!

I pity anybody who watches a film and is so weak willed they need to look for area's that contradict or support their entrenched ideology and grade accordingly.

Anyway's fire away man, don't give up on that cuckoo logic of yours. :|

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:17 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

F

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Corpse wrote:
F

Liar. :nonono:

:glare:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:25 pm
The Antichrist

Gullimont wrote:
Omni wrote:

I pity anybody who watches a film and is so weak willed they need to look for area's that contradict or support their entrenched ideology and grade accordingly.

Backpedal? Well, not really, you just missed an important word, which made you post a wrong reply.
Gulli, I want to hope you got it wrong. It's not like a movie must support someone's ideology to be loved, but many many films either have a message, or they criticise/justify/praise/etc a behaviour. I'm not talking about The Battleship Potemkin, even Disney flicks may be a good example. And pretty much every moral message or social behaviour is part of the political area, every ideal or moral belief we have is a political one. A movie gives me the idea that one of his (hidden?) messages is "Becoming reach is the final purpose of life"? Well, excuse me but it will lose points, depending how strong the message is, the way it shows it and stuff. Back to the Future's ending looked like this to me: his father is a successful man, he has a big car, his life is surely gonna be great. It wasn't the heart of the movie, so I gave it little-to-zero importance. Or are you trying to persuade me you magically erase your mind when you watch a flick (or read a book, or a newspaper, etc?), and that it's what people usually do? If that's the case, you have to persuade only yourself about it. But this may probably just be a matter of terminology (political doesn't mean Fascism, communism, dictatorships, revolutions and stop), so if it's not the case, you'll agree with me someone's ideas have a role when it comes to judge something like a movie.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:22 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Omni wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
Omni wrote:

Backpedal? Well, not really, you just missed an important word, which made you post a wrong reply.
Gulli, I want to hope you got it wrong. It's not like a movie must support someone's ideology to be loved, but many many films either have a message, or they criticise/justify/praise/etc a behaviour. I'm not talking about The Battleship Potemkin, even Disney flicks may be a good example. And pretty much every moral message or social behaviour is part of the political area, every ideal or moral belief we have is a political one. A movie gives me the idea that one of his (hidden?) messages is "Becoming reach is the final purpose of life"? Well, excuse me but it will lose points, depending how strong the message is, the way it shows it and stuff. Back to the Future's ending looked like this to me: his father is a successful man, he has a big car, his life is surely gonna be great. It wasn't the heart of the movie, so I gave it little-to-zero importance. Or are you trying to persuade me you magically erase your mind when you watch a flick (or read a book, or a newspaper, etc?), and that it's what people usually do? If that's the case, you have to persuade only yourself about it. But this may probably just be a matter of terminology (political doesn't mean Fascism, communism, dictatorships, revolutions and stop), so if it's not the case, you'll agree with me someone's ideas have a role when it comes to judge something like a movie.

Short translation "If it doesn't jive with my ideology its bad". I can enjoy a variety of films, and whether I agree or not is irrevelent. If that was the case I'd give Fight Club or Mad Max an F.

And the bolded bit suggests you never watched the film, The father had a shitty job and a lousy life when Marty left, and thru the quirks of Marty altering time he learned to stand up to Biff and when Marty returned his life had been changed and the Jeep he received was a nod to the family car being destroyed earlier in the film by Biff and how he wouldn't have a car to bring Jenny to the Lake/Dance (slips my mind which at the moment). In essence it was a representation of the great way things had turned out.

You consider the materialistic conclusion to be abborant it seems, nothing wrong with that (well actually plenty but you'll have to ask me in PM its not movie related), but as an ending it was perfectly logical given what went before.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:40 pm
The Antichrist

Laughably wrong translation. But I think this should be continued via PMs.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:46 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Omni wrote:
Laughably wrong translation. But I think this should be continued via PMs.

No, this is movie related. Back up that statement.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:49 pm
Commander and Chef

using your political views. what a horrible way to judge a film

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Jmart007 wrote:
One more thing: I haven't watched new episodes from Family Guy in a couple of years. A couple of weeks ago, I happened to catch an episode on Adult Swim, and there is an episode that is a homage to Back to the Future. I think it was from back in '06, which I think was during their "dark period". I'm not sure if anywhere here has seen that episode, but that was easily one of the best episodes I've seen from that show, and one of the best homages I've seen in sometime. I just might have to start watching that show again.

[youtube2]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yFbceHvjpgI[/youtube2]

[youtube2]http://youtube.com/watch?v=N_tZecUMJGQ[/youtube2]

:2thumbsup: Thanks!

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:44 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

bABA wrote:
using your political views. what a horrible way to judge a film

Yup

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Recently watched the entire trilogy. Surely some of the smartest written summer blockbuster ever.

10/10 for the trilogy

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:39 pm
New Server, Same X

Watched the new bluray release today in preparation for October 21st, 2015. Man, it's been a good ten years since I last watched this classic and it felt like discovering a brand new gem, especially on this new release. Just an incredible feat from start to finish. Some of the best movies keep you on the edge of your seat even on repeat viewings and this is one of them. Despite knowing how it ends, there's that tiniest hint of panic in the climax of "Will they pull it off?" when Doc Brown struggles to plug in before Marty can hit the right speeds at the right time and go back home.

A+

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:17 pm
You must have big rats

I'm seeing the trilogy tomorrow at my theatre. So excited.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Watched the trilogy yesterday and it still holds so well. I believe watching this together as a trilogy is the best way to go about this series. One of the best trilogies of all time with great performances, sharp and witty script, great direction. The visuals also still hold very well. I just felt a few parts are there just to induce laughs and don't add too much to the story and Biff's character was overacted.

A

Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:23 pm
Keeping it Light

Rewatched this last week and it remains a timeless classic and excellent film. The cast is just really perfect and the characters are deservingly considered icons of film. It just has a brilliant script that Zemeckis turned in a quite magical event which will always remain a joy to revisit. I hadn't seen it for long, and I was surprised this time how quick the film goes by, it's really an easy watch and there are few films that are this fun throughout.

A

Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2