Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Live! 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Live! 

Post Live!
Live!

Quote:
Live! is a 2007 film directed and written by Bill Guttentag and starring Eva Mendes, David Krumholtz, and Andre Braugher. It was released in April 2007 at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Wed May 14, 2008 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I believe the movie has not been released in the States yet. As soon as it is, I would recommend anyone to check it out. Its topic might seem s been there/seen that sort of thing, but I think the execution mostly makes up for this. The plot is fairly simple: Eva Mendes plays a TV network exec who proposes a show on which contestants play Russian Roulette live on the air. One dies, five others get a check over $5 million.

Obviously, you know what to expect. Lots of morality issues, bitter satire and a whole lot of cynicism. I must admit that it works, though. It made myself ask the question whether I would see a show like this. Obviously, most people would condemn it, but I think simple curioisity would just prevail. Now the film's main flaw is that it expects the viewr to believe that a show like this could actually ever be allowed by the courts. That and the way it actually comes to work in the movie are pretty unrealistic.

Once you can get past that and the fairly slow middle half of the film, you'll be in for an amazing final 30 minutes. Seriously, I was a bit tired watching it, but that half hour really ad me awake and on the edge of my seat. Once they actually get to the show, the tension becomes almost unbearable. The very ending is fairly unexpected, I must say and that in a good way. I liked it a lot. So despite some conceptual flaws and an uneven pacing, I enjoyed this a great deal. It features Eva Mendes' best turn to date and the execution of the big finale is pitch-perfect.

Thu May 22, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]