Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The 39 Steps 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The 39 Steps 

Post The 39 Steps
The 39 Steps

Quote:
The 39 Steps is the original 1935 British thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock, loosely based on the adventure novel The Thirty-nine Steps by John Buchan. The film stars Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll.

There have been four major film versions of the book. Hitchcock's original has been the most acclaimed, and remains so today: In 1999 it came 4th in a BFI poll of British films, while in 2004 Total Film named it the 21st greatest British movie of all time.

Wed May 14, 2008 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: The 39 Steps
I love this film. This is one of my favorite Hitchcock films as you can see him having fun with this film and really growing as a filmmaker.

Grade A+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Wed May 14, 2008 11:51 pm
You must have big rats

The 39 Steps is a classic Hitchcock thriller. While it's not one of his best films, I found it to be among his more enjoyable ones. I think one thing I liked about it was its relatively fast pace (thanks to a 82 minutes running time). It's really as standard of a Hitch film as it gets, but it feels more like a film setting the standards than one that is just being generic, if you know what I mean.

The movie doesn't take long to reveal its plot. Everything gets going pretty fast and there's a certain level of suspense throughout the whole film. The editing and the cinematography are great here once again, but I think that was really makes the film (as so often in Hitch's works) is the great chemistry of Madeleine Carroll and Robert Donat. I think they play off each other very well, delivering several funny moments with each other.

Certainly, the twists are rather predictable and I definitely felt that the ending was madly rushed, but everything leading up to it was a very fun adrenaline-laden spy flick that I'm sure has elements that many other movies of this genre have copied in the years after it was released. I'd say this likely ranks among my Top 5 favorite Hitchcock films.

Thu May 22, 2008 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]