Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The Trouble with Harry 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Trouble with Harry 

Post The Trouble with Harry
The Trouble with Harry

Quote:
The Trouble With Harry is a 1955 American black comedy film directed by Alfred Hitchcock, based on the novel of the same name by Jack Trevor Story. It was released in the United States on October 3, 1955 then rereleased once the distribution rights were acquired by Universal Pictures in 1984. The film starred John Forsythe and Edmund Gwenn; Shirley MacLaine and Jerry Mathers co-starred, both in their first film roles.

Wed May 14, 2008 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: The Trouble with Harry
B

The Trouble with Harry is probably the most unusual Hitchcock film I have seen to date as it's pretty much a dark comedy almost without the usual Hitchcock thriller elements and his typical big-star cast. I think it works pretty well as an experiment for him, too bad he hasn't really made more movies in this drection (though Frenzy has some dark humor shining through as well).

The Trouble with Harry starts off on a very strong note. Edmund Gwenn definitely delivers the best performance in the movie and he also delivers most of the big laughs. As far as the comedy goes, I thought it was great in the first 30 minutes, but lost track afterwards and became way too unfocused. All the good comedy during the movie's beginning is pretty much on Gwenn's behalf. John Forsythe's character on the other hand was too much of a caricature and cliché, so that he rather annoyed me. The other characters left me feeling indifferent as many of their attempts at delivering good dark humor failed.

As the movie nears its conclusion it picks up the pace and the comedy a bit (once again, Gwenn's brilliant here), but the very resolution and the twist are obvious a mile ahead. Still, it's a fun film and better than some of the other Hitch films I have seen in recent times. However, it's nowhere near his best works.

Thu May 22, 2008 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]