Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Finding Amanda 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Finding Amanda 

Post Finding Amanda
Finding Amanda

Quote:
Finding Amanda is a 2008 comedy film directed by Peter Tolan and starring Matthew Broderick and Brittany Snow. The plot revolves around a television producer with a penchant for drinking and gambling, who is sent to Las Vegas to convince his troubled niece to enter rehabilitation. Finding Amanda was filmed in California over a three-month period.

Sun May 04, 2008 4:43 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Finding Amanda
This was kind of awesome, to be honest. It's just a total blast from beginning to end, using its offbeat plotline to successfully combine both the comedic and dramatic elements. I was especially impressed with the performances. Matthew Broderick does his best work since Election here and proves to be a great leading man. Steve Coogan and Maura Tierney also turn in solid supporting turns. But Brittany Snow literally steals every scene she is in. The film absolutely comes alive when she is first introduced. Her character, despite being flawed, is adorable and charming. I was also impressed with her ability to show the character's vulnerability despite always coming off as bubbly and overly energetic. This is a performance that should get Snow a lot of attention, for it sets her apart from many actresses in her age demographic. It's also one of the best turns of the year so far. I'd highly recommend this one. A-

Sun May 04, 2008 7:47 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

A couple of funny moments mixed into a plot that goes absolutely nowhere. Broderick's character is interesting and he does give good work here, but outside of him the film doesn't have much to offer. Snow's character (and it's not her fault) is one-dimensional. She's a hooker with a heart of gold with an abusive boyfriend. Interesting. I've never seen that one before.

The film doesn't work simply. It provides a couple of laughs here and there but there aren't enough and the dramatic scenes simply don't work because they're not up to par with what Tolan is shooting for. Considering his work on Rescue Me, I expected better from him.

*½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

It was decent. I'd give it something like a 6/10 (B-).

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]