Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Baby Mama 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

Baby Mama 
Extraordinary

Post Baby Mama
Baby Mama

Quote:
Baby Mama is a 2008 comedy film from Universal Pictures written and directed by Michael McCullers and starring Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Sigourney Weaver, Greg Kinnear, and Dax Shepard.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Baby Mama
I'll have my full review up in a little bit, but for right now I can easily say that this is the most disappointing film of the year so far.

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=31645

Good first half, horrible second half.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Hilarious and cute. This was actually much more laugh-out-loud funny than I had expected. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler make a really great comedic team. Enjoyed myself considerably. B+

Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Hilarious and cute. This was actually much more laugh-out-loud funny than I had expected. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler make a really great comedic team. Enjoyed myself considerably. B+

Is it anywhere as close to being as good as Mean Girls?

Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:54 am
Sbil

snack wrote:
Libs wrote:

No.

Then again, it's not nearly (nearly) as edgy. Baby Mama is more generic and cute in a chick flick way.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:02 am
King Albert!

It was pretty funny and cute. It could've pushed more bounderies though.

Grade: B.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Libs wrote:
snack wrote:
Libs wrote:

No.

Then again, it's not nearly (nearly) as edgy. Baby Mama is more generic and cute in a chick flick way.

Based on the trailers, I could have guessed the above. Glad you liked it.

I don't know for me I like Tina from 30 Rock but here I wasn't interested in her and I not a big SNL watcher as I am usually out so Amy from the trailer didn't appeal to me either.

and on Mean Girls, remember she played the nice principal so she wasn't one of the mean girls.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:04 am
Extraordinary

Easily the best of this past weekends three new release comedies (War, Inc., Harold and Kumar 2, and Baby Mama) - - this is a modern classic in the fertile new genre of MOM-COM!!!

Tina Fey is amazing. Amazing to me, that she turned out to be an actress at all after her SNL writing roots - - and an amazing actress in this movie. She's got a long successful career ahead of her.

Amy Poehler is her usual greatness, and the supporting cast is exemplary. Excuse me! But why didn't anybody tell me Steve Martin has a major supporting role in this?!? Huh!?!?!?

Any movie which contains the line: "I feel like I'm shitting a knife!", surely deserves serious consideration as a cutting edge comedy!

Yeah, yeah - -you may be able to guess the plotline halfway through, but I guarantee you won't be able to anticipate the emotional impact!

I'll bet the haters have never had a baby...

This movie's a miracle!

It joins my 2008 top ten list, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's been through the birth process - - if you're 18 and single - - heh, skip it!

21 out of 5.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:05 am
Sbil

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Easily the best of this past weekends three new release comedies (War, Inc., Harold and Kumar 2, and Baby Mama) - - this is a modern classic in the fertile new genre of MOM-COM!!!

Tina Fey is amazing. Amazing to me, that she turned out to be an actress at all after her SNL writing roots - - and an amazing actress in this movie. She's got a long successful career ahead of her.

Amy Poehler is her usual greatness, and the supporting cast is exemplary. Excuse me! But why didn't anybody tell me Steve Martin has a major supporting role in this?!? Huh!?!?!?

Any movie which contains the line: "I feel like I'm shitting a knife!", surely deserves serious consideration as a cutting edge comedy!

Yeah, yeah - -you may be able to guess the plotline halfway through, but I guarantee you won't be able to anticipate the emotional impact!

I'll bet the haters have never had a baby...

This movie's a miracle!

It joins my 2008 top ten list, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's been through the birth process - - if you're 18 and single - - heh, skip it!

21 out of 5.

So I guess you've had a baby then? Wow.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:54 am
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
So I guess you've had a baby then? Wow.

More than one, actually.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

A hilarious and charming film featuring fantastic turns from Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. I had a blast. A-

Fri May 02, 2008 1:27 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Way better than I thought it would be. Sure, some of the jokes missed (but then again, it always seems that way in an empty theater), but it always seemed at least earnest.
I don't think Tina Fey was as good in this as she usually is, but this was the first time I've seen her act in material that she didn't right, so I wasn't sure how she would handle it. She's as likable as ever, but some of the dramatic stuff was a little ehhhh.... for me, but maybe that's just because I'm used to seeing her in her own material.

What I liked most about this though is that it's a comedy for women without the rom (aka not a "Romantic Comedy"). What was the last major movie that dared to do that?

Anyways, B

Tue May 27, 2008 6:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

I wouldn't have guessed that one of the few (only?) "major" posters with children is... bradley :|

(that's no offense to you though, congrats... :thumbsup: )

Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

A-

Thoroughly impressed with this movie. Kind of depressing as well.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:53 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler don't let anyone down in this funny, charming comedy.

B+

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:20 am
ef star star kay

Unexpectedly good. I was expecting something but got something else that is pretty different (from what I was expecting) instead. It's a good comedy. Some of the jokes felt forced and therefore, fell flat. But most were really funny and none has gone too far and become stupid/disgusting joke like we used to witness in most of these day's comedies.

The unexpected part, however, was the drama part. Although, sometimes it seriously needed for some energy. It was overall surprisingly well-handled, nicely done. Most of the characters have been written with care (not everyone, but most, especially the main ones). Especially with Amy Poehler's character, it's not a bland, one-dimension character at all (why was I expecting that? I have no idea). Sure nothing truly great, but at least the character is given some depth to it. At least, the script did care for this character. Even Steve Martin's character didn't come out as stupid as it sounds. And of course, a good character wouldn't have worked without a great performer. Everyone was great here. Though, I liked Amy Poehler the most.

It's such a surprise to find this movie being more of a character-driven film rather than a joke-driven one. It's not laugh-out-loud non-stop ride. Baby Mama is a dramedy about the relationship of two person who happen to be a woman and a woman. As odd as it sounds, but thanks to the chemistry between Fey and Poehler, it's funny, sweet and charming.

B

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:52 pm
Extraordinary

JURiNG wrote:
Unexpectedly good. I was expecting something but got something else that is pretty different (from what I was expecting) instead. It's a good comedy. Some of the jokes felt forced and therefore, fell flat. But most were really funny and none has gone too far and become stupid/disgusting joke like we used to witness in most of these day's comedies.

The unexpected part, however, was the drama part. Although, sometimes it seriously needed for some energy. It was overall surprisingly well-handled, nicely done. Most of the characters have been written with care (not everyone, but most, especially the main ones). Especially with Amy Poehler's character, it's not a bland, one-dimension character at all (why was I expecting that? I have no idea). Sure nothing truly great, but at least the character is given some depth to it. At least, the script did care for this character. Even Steve Martin's character didn't come out as stupid as it sounds. And of course, a good character wouldn't have worked without a great performer. Everyone was great here. Though, I liked Amy Poehler the most.

It's such a surprise to find this movie being more of a character-driven film rather than a joke-driven one. It's not laugh-out-loud non-stop ride. Baby Mama is a dramedy about the relationship of two person who happen to be a woman and a woman. As odd as it sounds, but thanks to the chemistry between Fey and Poehler, it's funny, sweet and charming.

B

After all that - - that beautifully lucid and heartfelt sounding review - - after all that - - you rate the movie a "B"?!?!?

I don't know you anymore...

:zonks:

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:12 am
ef star star kay

it was originally B+, then I edited to B.. and now I'm not so sure anymore..

it's about B/B+, I think.. give me sometime..

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:20 am
Wallflower

BABY MAMA - 8/10 (B+)

Cute and funny. Fey and Poehler are great.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

This is such an eerie movie now

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:14 pm
Sbil

Shack wrote:

Because of Tina Fey's resemblance to Sarah Palin? And you know, the whole Palin's Daughter Is Pregnant Funfest.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:24 pm
Wallflower

Libs wrote:
Shack wrote:

Because of Tina Fey's resemblance to Sarah Palin? And you know, the whole Palin's Daughter Is Pregnant Funfest.

Ha! My dad thought Tina Fey was Sarah Palin ;). Not sure if he was kidding or not. I guess I can see the resemblance (ok, obviously I can), but I find the comparison offensive :P. Fey is actually quite sexy, IMO. To call Palin the same would be, well, eew ;).

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:04 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

With any other actors, it would have been an average movie, but Tina Fey and Amy Poehler make it much more enjoyable.

My main beef with the movie is you could see the ending coming a mile away, and it felt like a tacked on "happy ending" that was unbelievable. I would have much rather seen a more realistic ending, and think you could have still made that be a "happy" one.

Still, it's a B.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:14 pm
Teh Mexican

Very predictible and not the most "original" movie but it was damn funny, cute and quite enjoyble. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were great!.

B+

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 am
The Wall

4/10 -> D

Boring. Not funny at all. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler seem to have one mode of acting, which works well in skittish shows like SNL, 30 Rock or Parks & Recreations, but it felt offputting in this movie.

Oh, have I mentioned it's not funny? It's desperate.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next