Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) 

Post All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
All Quiet on the Western Front

Quote:
All Quiet on the Western Front is a 1930 American epic war film based on the Erich Maria Remarque novel of the same name. It was directed by Lewis Milestone, and stars Louis Wolheim, Lew Ayres, John Wray, Arnold Lucy and Ben Alexander.

All Quiet on the Western Front is considered a realistic and harrowing account of warfare in World War I, and was named #54 on the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies. However, it fell out of the top 100 in the AFI's 2007 revision. In June 2008, after polling over 1,500 workers in the creative community, AFI announced its 10 Top 10—the ten best films in each of ten "classic" American film genres; All Quiet on the Western Front was ranked the seventh best film in the epic genre. In 1990, the film was selected and preserved by the United States Library of Congress' National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film won the Academy Award for Best Picture and Best Director.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:31 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: All Quiet on the Western Front
I've seen the 1980 version with Donald Pleasance and Ernest Borgnine, and I really liked it. This is one movie I want to check out though.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:38 pm
He didn't look busy?!

I know you're supposed to take movies in context, but there are certainly movies released in the 1930s I've seen where the acting didn't invoke lots of laughter on my part. It's a great story, and a strong technical achievement for its time, but it is a word-for-word adaptation of the book and, again, I couldn't stop laughing during the war scenes when the soldiers were supposed to be scared.

C+

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:13 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

All Quiet on the Western Front is the first, truly great anti-war movie I have sen in a long long time. It's a very powerful picture that makes a statement without soving it down your thrown or getting too sentimental. I'm actually very surprised by how modern it looks and feels considering it was made in 1930. In fact, I'd say that it's among the three best war movies I have seen to date (the other two being Saving Private Ryan and Platoon). It might not have the visceral proximity of Ryan or the dehumanization of Platoon, but its basic message of no one benefiting from a war and about the effects a war has in particular on young and idealistic soldiers is conveyed pretty much perfectly.

It was an ingenious idea to show the whole thing from the viewpoint of the "enemy" - the Germans. While it is an American film, I think they way it conveys the euphoria over fighting for your country and protecting it that reigned back then is very effective and seems pretty real. As the illusion of partiotism and idealism deconstructs throughout the film, we're treated to some "beautiful" imagery and scenes. The futile ground troups attack with soliders of both sides being mowed down by machine guns is one of the most effective war scenes I have ever seen. It might not have the brutality and harshness of the Omaha Beach attack in Saving Private Ryan, but it shows how worthless each life is in a battle like this one and how it can pretty much end any second. Another wonderful scene is the company seating in a bunker, while bombs go off above their heads. You see the fear in the young faces of the soliders who certainly didn't imagine the whole thing to turn out the way it did.

My favorite character is probably Louis Wolheim's Kat who also has the movie's best speech about how it's always the leaders who benefit from a war and that it's them who should be fighting each other as the soliders themselves pretty much fight for nothing. Another great scene that comes to my mind is the one with Paul and the dying French soldier he has stabbed.

I think the one and only thing I did't like about the film is how theatralic and sometimes over-the-top the acting seemed, especially on behalf of the younger actors. I think it's rather typical of that time period for the actors to act this way, s if they were on a stage in a theatre, but it still stood out negatively to me a couple of times. That aside, it's as good a war movie can get. We haven't really been treated to many good WWI movies, anyway, so this one definitely seems the best there is at the moment. The ending, while abrupt, is also very fitting as this is the only way a movie with its path and statement can end. The final shot is beautiful. I think I could keep raving about the wonderful scenes and shots in this film on and on, but I just recommend to every single one of you to go out and rent/buy this flick. So far, along with The Grapes of Wrath and Roman Holiday, this is the only movie that I have given a straight A to during my catch-up period.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

This is a war movie. There's no blood pumping action set pieces. Just poor, dirty fuckers waiting to die. AQOTWF is heartbreaking.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:17 pm
Forum General

The movie is not as good as latter anti war films like Paths Of Glory but for what they did in 1930, its spectacular and they took the other side as well!!

Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]