Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Prom Night (2008) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9

Prom Night (2008) 

Post Prom Night (2008)
Prom Night

Quote:
Prom Night is a 2008 slasher film from Screen Gems directed by Nelson McCormick and starring Brittany Snow. The film is a re-imagining of the 1980 Canadian horror film of the same name.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:45 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: Prom Night [2008]
B-

Serviceable thriller. Brittany Snow is quite good. The drawbacks are when the film slows done to a halt. I haven't seen the original prom nigt but no doubt the snobs will have a field day wth this. Take it for what it is.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:39 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

getluv wrote:
B-

Serviceable thriller. Brittany Snow is quite good. The drawbacks are when the film slows done to a halt. I haven't seen the original prom nigt but no doubt the snobs will have a field day wth this. Take it for what it is.

Seriously, the original PROM NIGHT wasn't anything to write home about and couldn't be any better or worse than this, Jamie Lee Curtis or not..

Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

From what I've read, this movie is actually not a remake of the Jamie Lee Curtis movie. It's a remake in name (and the prom theme, I guess) only.

That said, it's not like that makes this look more original. To be fair, it looks better than some of the recent movies of its ilk. Also, Brittany Snow is a generally competent actress, so I can imagine this isn't the most painful film of all time or anything.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:37 am

it's a perfect Saturday night popcorn film. it's disposable.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:12 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

getluv wrote:

Yeah It looks like it could be a bit of solid entertainment. Was going to see it tonight but didnt end up going.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:20 am

MadGez wrote:
getluv wrote:

Yeah It looks like it could be a bit of solid entertainment. Was going to see it tonight but didnt end up going.

take a girlfriend. the girls in my theatre kept screaming.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:10 am
On autopilot for the summer

Libs wrote:
From what I've read, this movie is actually not a remake of the Jamie Lee Curtis movie. It's a remake in name (and the prom theme, I guess) only.

That said, it's not like that makes this look more original. To be fair, it looks better than some of the recent movies of its ilk. Also, Brittany Snow is a generally competent actress, so I can imagine this isn't the most painful film of all time or anything.

Yeah, didnt the original take place on a train?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:21 pm
Wallflower

Umm, no :P. Are you thinking of TERROR TRAIN?

Anyway, I wasn't a fan of the original PROM NIGHT, but this isn't even a remake, so it doesn't matter.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:30 pm
Extraordinary

To start off, I haven't seen all of the original Prom Night. I've seen bits and pieces over the years and my one defining impression is that it was dark. Lighting-wise, I mean. I hold no attachment to it.

So, grading the remake... it's not as bad as When a Stranger Calls. Also, the expected PG-13 rating forced an emphasis on suspense. A few of the kills actually work, too. Because the filmmakers knew this wasn't getting an R, they could shoot it a certain way. It doesn't feel at all compromised.

Now the bad... and here's the movie's biggest sin...

It's incredibly boring.

Seriously, there's no suspense. You don't care about these people. You know exactly how this is going to end and who's gonna make it. It's 90 minutes of pure tedium.

(Also, I've seen hundreds of slasher films and I've never seem female targets trip as often as they do here. I've also never seen a jump scare that involved bumping into a lamp. Go inventive filmmakers?)

D

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:11 pm

yeah the tripping was really bad. especially when she bumped into the lamp.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:26 pm
College Boy Z

Yup, getluv nailed it. It's just a good Saturday night popcorn flick. It's fun, entertaining and there's been worse remakes recently.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:05 pm
Wallflower

I love this review by critic Dustin Putman: http://themovieboy.com/reviews/p/08_promnight.htm

That's a really good review. Probably better than the movie itself :p.

This part sounds so lame:

when one of his officers comments from afar on how pretty Donna looks, brain-deficient Detective Winn (Idris Elba) replies in all seriousness, "Let's hope she stays that way"

No surprise that the dialogue has some really laughable lines since it's written by the same guy who wrote The Covenant. Does he write these lame lines on purpose?

And it kills me too, because, like mentioned in his review, The Ruins should be playing just a few theaters down. And yet everyone is giving this their money.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:14 pm

Mike, see the film or shut up.

btw, a link instead of posting the whole review would of been great. it's a waste of space.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:22 pm
Wallflower

Like I would really pay money to see this on the big screen. No self-respecting horror fan would dish out money for this in theaters. I will rent it on DVD. And I'm sure it will probably be "entertaining," I'm just against it by principal. Maybe if it weren't such a big hit I wouldn't dislike it so much.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:35 pm
Orphan

Zingaling wrote:
Yup, getluv nailed it. It's just a good Saturday night popcorn flick. It's fun, entertaining and there's been worse remakes recently.

Compared to far better films like The Ruins, this is crap. :disgust:

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Mike wrote:
Like I would really pay money to see this on the big screen. No self-respecting horror fan would dish out money for this in theaters. I will rent it on DVD. And I'm sure it will probably be "entertaining," I'm just against it by principal. Maybe if it weren't such a big hit I wouldn't dislike it so much.

the fact this is making heaps of dough must be killing u.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:40 pm
Orphan

getluv wrote:
Mike wrote:

Because people like you are seeing it :hahaha:

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:40 pm

Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Mike wrote:

i've already seen two movies about an autistic kid and a persecuted Jewish school girl in the past week. Emotionally draining movies, Prom Night was the thing I needed. A good laugh.

Seriously, what were you expecting?

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:43 pm
Orphan

getluv wrote:
Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Mike wrote:

i've already seen two movies about an autistic kid and a persecuted Jewish school girl in the past week. Emotionally draining movies, Prom Night was the thing I needed. A good laugh.

A horror movie that actually made me horrified at what I was seeing or brought forth emotions other than boredom and deja vu.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Mike wrote:

A horror movie that actually made me horrified at what I was seeing or brought forth emotions other than boredom and deja vu.

you're a complete idiot if you went in expecting that.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:46 pm
Orphan

getluv wrote:
Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Mike wrote:

That's what a horror movie should deliver. It's right there in the definition.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:49 pm
Wallflower

He probably wasn't expecting it from this movie, however, that is what it's supposed to deliver on. Since when should we start making exceptions? :P

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:

i know. but you knew before going in to seeing Prom Night (rated Pg-13) that you were going to get some watered down PoS. Like I said, if you went in expecting otherwise you are a complete idiot.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:52 pm
Orphan

getluv wrote:
Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:
Joe wrote:
getluv wrote:

i know. but you knew before going in to seeing Prom Night (rated Pg-13) that you were going to get some watered down PoS. Like I said, if you went in expecting otherwise you are a complete idiot.

PG-13 shouldn't mean being bored. M. Night Shyamalan has made some good PG-13 "horror" films like The Sixth Sense. John Carpenter's original Halloween would probably be PG-13 if released now and it's an excellent horror movie.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next