Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 It Happened One Night 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

It Happened One Night 
Extraordinary

Post It Happened One Night
It Happened One Night

Quote:
It Happened One Night is a 1934 American romantic comedy film with elements of screwball comedy directed by Frank Capra, in which a pampered socialite (Claudette Colbert) tries to get out from under her father's thumb, and falls in love with a roguish reporter (Clark Gable). The plot was based on the story Night Bus by Samuel Hopkins Adams, which provided the shooting title. It Happened One Night was one of the last film romantic comedies created before the MPAA began enforcing the 1930 production code in 1934. In spite of its title the movie takes place over several nights.

The film was the first to win all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and Screenplay), a feat that would not be matched until One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) and later by The Silence of the Lambs (1991). In 1993, It Happened One Night was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." It was remade twice, both as musicals: Eve Knew Her Apples (1945) starring Ann Miller, and You Can't Run Away from It (1956) starring Jack Lemmon and June Allyson.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: It Happened One Night
One of the great classics. And an early Frank Capra.

Anyway, Clark Gable stands out here as one of Hollywood's earliest movie stars.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:02 am
Extraordinary

Haven't seen this one for decades, but it was never my favorite of the 30's screwball comedies, despite it's glowing reputation...

Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 am
Forum General

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Haven't seen this one for decades, but it was never my favorite of the 30's screwball comedies, despite it's glowing reputation...

I never thought of this as a real screwball movie, just a good movie.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:31 am
Extraordinary

Grill wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:

I never thought of this as a real screwball movie, just a good movie.

Well, I can agree with you on that - - it was a good movie...

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:41 am
Team Kris

I always pass by the street where they were trying to hitch a ride (that in/famous raising the skirt scene). Heh. Not much has changed from 70 years ago, just the vehicles passing by.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite comedies ever. Colbert and Gable had really wonderful chemistry and banter.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 pm
You must have big rats

B+

It Happened One Night is a fine film and a solid screwball comedy, one of the first ones of its kind actually. I must say that my enjoyment of it was hampered slightly by high expectations considering it won all five major Oscars (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Screenplay) and I didn't find it to be that excellent.....but it was still quite enjoyable. What prety much makes this movie is the irresistable chemistry between Colbert and Clark Gable. Gable really delivers the good here, showing us a tricky, charming guy, but not as macho as he is in some of his other films. Colbert ist feisty and plays off Gable very well and most of their scenes together are just sparkling which is also thanks to Capra's solid direction. It isn't as funny as it could have been, though. Maybe it's just that the humor changed over the decades...

I found myself comparing this to Riman Holiday pretty often and that's likely the reason for a lower grade. I just found Roman Holiday to be superior to It Happened One Night in some aspects, primarily in its leading Actress. Hepburn and Colbert oth won Best Actress for their performances, but I found Hepburn definitely more charming, enchanting and just better than Colbert in her role. That is not to diminish Colbert's performance. She was good, but with Gable next to her, she could rarely really shine, in my opinion. Moreover, I found Roman Holiday to be funnier than It Happened One Night and I prefered its non-traditional ending.

However, I should add here that the ending of It Happened One Night was very well-executed. What I loved about it was that Capra never even showed Ellie and Peter getting back together after she runs off from the wedding, but only alluded to them with the trumpet and the wall of Jericho scene (very funny!).

Oh and my favorite scene would be the hitchhiking one.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]