Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 

What grade would you give this film?
A 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 27

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 
Quality is a great business plan

Post Re: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
BJ wrote:
Ev@n wrote:
BJ wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

I'm sorry u feel that way about Zodiac. At least TDK makes your top 3, I'm very glad to hear that. :)

I went to the Midnight show in IMAX, greatest experience of my life. Did u go @ Midnight BJ?

Of course :D arrived 3 hours early to ensure good seating :yes:

I wish I got there that early. Crazy story, we get there at about 10 and when my Mom tried to pick up the tickets, but she had the wrong credit card. Because they said she needed the one that she ordered the tickets with, so they wouldn't let us have the tickets. So she drove all the way home and came back an hour and a half later with the right credit card and we walked into the show at 11:30. We got the only 2 seats left that weren't in the front row. :sweat: I sat in the row highest up, and my Mom sat in the one just under it. That was my first time ever at a Midnight showing, and damn was it amazing. There were over 4.5K people there, they sold out 29 Screens for Midnight, and the only screen not showing TDK was showing Mama Mia!, and they didn't even sell that one out. :funny:

And BJ did u go in IMAX?

No IMAX in here in Alaska :tears:

Sorry to say the place sucks. U have to live in a frigid place with no iMax. :grrr:

I used to be shawman.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:11 am
Killing With Kindness

shawman wrote:
BJ wrote:
Ev@n wrote:
BJ wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

I'm sorry u feel that way about Zodiac. At least TDK makes your top 3, I'm very glad to hear that. :)

I went to the Midnight show in IMAX, greatest experience of my life. Did u go @ Midnight BJ?

Of course :D arrived 3 hours early to ensure good seating :yes:

I wish I got there that early. Crazy story, we get there at about 10 and when my Mom tried to pick up the tickets, but she had the wrong credit card. Because they said she needed the one that she ordered the tickets with, so they wouldn't let us have the tickets. So she drove all the way home and came back an hour and a half later with the right credit card and we walked into the show at 11:30. We got the only 2 seats left that weren't in the front row. :sweat: I sat in the row highest up, and my Mom sat in the one just under it. That was my first time ever at a Midnight showing, and damn was it amazing. There were over 4.5K people there, they sold out 29 Screens for Midnight, and the only screen not showing TDK was showing Mama Mia!, and they didn't even sell that one out. :funny:

And BJ did u go in IMAX?

No IMAX in here in Alaska :tears:

Sorry to say the place sucks. U have to live in a frigid place with no iMax. :grrr:

Its not that bad, doesn't get nearly as cold in Anchorage as it does in the states by the great lakes, we just get a prolonged winter, its snowed on the third day of May this year. And they are currently building an IMAX screen that should be ready in time for summer 09 :yes:

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:46 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I thought it was generally accepted universal truth that Empire was the best (or at least pretty damn close to Hope). Jedi was a good conclusion for the Luke/Vader storyline, but the rebellion story and then entire character of Han was incredibly disappointing. It can't even compare to anything offered from the first two.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:33 am
Veteran

I rather liked the rebellion story line. The Ewoks kicking the Empire's ass was very reminiscent of how the American Empire had its ass handed to it in Vietnam.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Too Brilliant for Introductions

The Ewoks kicking the Stormtroopers' ass makes you wonder if there's any real purpose for those Stormtrooper suits, aside from looking "different" and decreasing mobility.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
This is my least favorite of the original trilogy, but it is still very good. The "I am your father" part is never quite as dramatic as I think I remember. It has lots of good parts, but it never really feels like there is one objective from the beginning to end. All the individual parts are awesome though.

A+

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 pm
Romosexual!

My 3rd favorite movie of all time
A+
5 stars
10/10

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Unquestionably the best in the trilogy despite good points raised by Magnus (less on the Jaba part a bit though).

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:39 am
Forum General

I haven't watched ROTJ yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if this remained my favorite of three. It's just awesomeness from start to finish and a much appreciated improvement over A New Hope IMO. I mean so much good stuff like that first EPIC battle scene,Yoda, the Vader/Luke fight with that great music and of course the famous "I am your father" line. This one also felt more like an actual space/adventure flick aswell. I might not have liked ANH as much, but without that movie to lay the foundation we definitely wouldn't have gotten this.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:01 pm
Hold the door!

Really good. Though the Han/Leia romance is sort of unbelievable. Hans pretty much a creep who forces himself onto Leia at every point. Maybe that's what they were trying to emulate with Anakin/Padme?

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:00 pm
Forum General

zwackerm wrote:
Really good. Though the Han/Leia romance is sort of unbelievable. Hans pretty much a creep who forces himself onto Leia at every point. Maybe that's what they were trying to emulate with Anakin/Padme?

Uhh you think it's unbelievable that a guy like Han Solo would get the girl?? :lol:

Anakin/Padme was much MUCH less explicable given the age difference when they met.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:18 am
Hold the door!

Jiffy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Uhh you think it's unbelievable that a guy like Han Solo would get the girl?? :lol:

Anakin/Padme was much MUCH less explicable given the age difference when they met.

Well, no he's obviously very good looking and charming. But he's still a total assjole and forces himself on her. Anakin was a creep certainly, but at least he never touched her without permission.

I'm not saying that their scenes aren't great or that they shouldn't have ended up together. I'm merely stating it gives precedence for how Padme fell for Anakin, despite his bitchiness. In the Star Wars universe, theres something sexy about an attractive man forcing himself on you, even if it's not particularly smooth.

Anakin and Padme do have a couple of bad/awkward scenes, but I certainly buy their love.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:32 am
---------

While this movie has tons of great "big" sequences like the "No, I am your father" exchange, carbon freezing Han, the battle of Hoth, and the asteroid field scene, the small moments/elements really make it my all-time favorite:
-the foreshadowing of Luke's parentage in the cave
-every single exchange between Vader and his admirals. Vader's at his all-time most powerful and intimidating self in this one)
-The tease of what Vader looks like under his helmet
-Luke and Han's last scene together for quite some time (which ROTJ does a bad job with their reunion)
-Yoda's "No, there is another" line
-the mysteriousness of Boba Fett (ROTJ also ruins this on a bigger scale)
-Han's torture in order to alert Luke to his friend's suffering
-How close Vader's plan of freezing Luke actually comes to fruition (and his mild disappointment in that fact)
-the light tunnel Luke walks through
-Leia's Force connection with Luke when he calls for help
-Luke's acceptance of Vader as his father (ROTJ reverts Luke a bit on this by making him confirm with Yoda)
-R2 quietly saving everyone's ass at the end (without the need to award him a medal or presenting him to a queen)

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:36 am
Forum General

zwackerm wrote:
Jiffy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Well, no he's obviously very good looking and charming. But he's still a total assjole and forces himself on her. Anakin was a creep certainly, but at least he never touched her without permission.

I agree, Han does act like a creep in that scene where he comes up on her from behind, but it's still very believable/realistic

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:48 am

The most magical Star Wars film.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:00 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a great continuation of the story but I felt even with a better build-up of the world it just does what we expect from a SW movie rather than organically continuing the movie. The only substantial thing that happens in the movie is the Darth Vader reveal but the rest is just an entertaining popcorn middle-film of the trilogy that borrows a lot from the original. Having said that it has better action and pacing and with the world building already done the chemistry of the three leads is explored much better now. Han Solo easily comes out the best again here.

A-

Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3