Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Post Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Quote:
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is a 1982 comedy film directed by Carl Reiner and starring Steve Martin and Rachel Ward. It is both a parody of, and an homage to, film noir and the pulp detective movies of the 1940s.

Edited by Bud Molin, the film is a collage of black-and-white movie clips from 18 different films with more recent footage of Martin and other actors similarly shot in black-and-white, with the result that the original dialogue and acting of the historic films have now become part of a completely different (and ridiculous) story.

Among the actors who appear from classic films are Edward Arnold, Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart, Wally Brown, James Cagney, William Conrad, Jeff Corey, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Brian Donlevy, Kirk Douglas, Ava Gardner, Cary Grant, Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Burt Lancaster, Charles Laughton, Charles McGraw, Fred MacMurray, John Miljan, Ray Milland, Edmund O'Brien, Vincent Price, Barbara Stanwyck, Lana Turner and Norma Varden.

This was the last film for both costume designer Edith Head and composer Miklós Rózsa.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:15 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
This one snuck up on me. I hadn't even heard of it until I caught it on TV last week, and I was quickly drawn in by the incorporation of old noir clips and the high level of funny. Using archival footage of Bogart and Bergman, et al., is clever enough, but actually basing the screenplay and humour around them? It's brilliant. Steve Martin has never been funnier or more appealing, and the beautiful black-and-white cinematography is perfectly at odds with the sometimes racy comedy. The story is rather ridiculous, but that's not what matters.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]