Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Omohide poro poro [Only Yesterday] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Omohide poro poro [Only Yesterday] 

Post Omohide poro poro [Only Yesterday]
Only Yesterday

Quote:
Only Yesterday (おもひでぽろぽろ Omohide Poro Poro, lit. "memories come tumbling down") is the sixth film by director Isao Takahata and produced by Studio Ghibli. It is based on the manga of the same title by Hotaru Okamoto and Yuko Tone. It was released on July 20, 1991. The ending theme song is a Japanese translation "Ai wa Hana, Kimi wa sono Tane (愛は花、君はその種子)" of Amanda McBroom's composition "The Rose."

Only Yesterday is significant among progressive anime films in that it explores a genre traditionally thought to be outside the realm of animated subjects, in this case a realistic drama written for adult, particularly female audiences. In spite of its subject matter, the film was a surprise box office success, attracting a large adult audience of both sexes.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

Post Re: Omohide poro poro [Only Yesterday]
I don't know if it's because this film mirrored the exact point i'm at in my life or if it's just an astoundingly good drama, either way Omohide poro poro blew me away. It feels to me that Only Yesterday is much overlooked amongst its Ghibli peers, it's a hidden gem that everyone should discover.

It was no surprise to me that this is from the same director as Grave of the Fireflies, it has the same emotional power behind it. The score is wonderful and animation subdued, but necessarily so. The star here is the story, and more specifically the ending that surprises and overwhelms. What a perfect ending, one of the best i have ever seen. The perfect way to say goodbye to your childhood is indeed by looking to the future.

A-

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]