Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dil Se.. 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Dil Se.. 

Post Dil Se..
Dil Se..

Quote:
Dil Se (Hindi: दिल से, translation: From the Heart) is a 1998 Hindi film directed by Mani Ratnam. The film stars Shahrukh Khan, Manisha Koirala, and Preity Zinta. Mani Ratnam also co-wrote the screenplay for the film. It is the third in Ratnam's trilogy of terror films that depict human relationships against a background of Indian politics, after Roja and Bombay.

Dil Se was shot in Himachal, Kashmir, Assam, Delhi, Kerala, and other parts of India and Bhutan over a period of 55 days. The film is considered an example of Indian Parallel Cinema. The highly stylized film won awards for cinematography, audiography, choreography, and music, among others. Despite being a failure at the Indian box office, the film was a success overseas, becoming the first Indian film to enter the top 10 in the United Kingdom box office charts.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:35 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Dil Se..
People pay money for this shit? I mean, seriously?

First off, it looks incredibly cheap, even for a Bollywood flick (granted, I haven't seen any others to compare, but still). The DVD looks like someone camcorded the film in the theatre, and then ripped it onto disc. There's film marks and splices and it was even out of frame at one point! I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing. The sound is dampened and echoing, and the numerous explosions look like they were computer-generated in the '80s. And there's an intermission screen that gets cut off halfway.

But I could put up with all that if the film itself was decent. But it was even worse! I actually didn't mind the highly implausible romance, slightly annoying characters, and bizarre musical montages at first. It was kind of charming, in a way, and it was enjoyable, at least. But after the aforementioned intermission, the film abruptly shifts into some sort of political message/terrorist story, while also attempting to keep the romance and comedy going. As a result, there's some wild tonal shifts, and the story soon gets out of control. All logic and reason are thrown out of the window, and suddenly sense is no longer made. By the end, I was happy to see the main characters blow each other up, in one of the more nonsensical endings I've seen in cinema.

I mean, it's not so much that the film is cheap-looking and poorly made, it's just that it's (inexplicably) so popular. Perhaps you can enlighten me to this, Magnus, because I found that this was a stinking pile of shit.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Dil Se..
Yeah..... I guess my problem with it is the bizarre shift towards serious drama in the second half of the film. I actually kinda enjoyed the silly romance and incomprehensible musical sequences in the first half, but that was done away with for some stupid terrorist sub-plot with a political message.

I dunno. I think it's safe to say I probably won't be seeing anymore Bollywood films. I actually only saw this one for class, and I'm not even sure why we did. It'd be the equivalent to watching something like Armageddon, methinks.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]