Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 MASH 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

MASH 

Post MASH
MASH

Quote:
MASH is a 1970 American satirical dark comedy film directed by Robert Altman and written by Ring Lardner, Jr., based on the novel MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors by Richard Hooker. It is the only feature film in the M*A*S*H franchise. It became one of the biggest hit films of the early 1970s for Twentieth Century Fox, and especially during the Vietnam War era.

The film depicts a unit of medical personnel stationed at a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean War; however, the subtext is really about the Vietnam War. It stars Donald Sutherland, Tom Skerritt and Elliott Gould, with Sally Kellerman, Robert Duvall, Roger Bowen, Gary Burghoff, Michael Murphy, Rene Auberjonois, David Arkin and Fred Williamson. The film inspired the popular and critically acclaimed television series M*A*S*H, which featured a cast including Alan Alda, Wayne Rogers, Loretta Swit and Jamie Farr, and ran from 1972 to 1983.

The film's title is often rendered as M*A*S*H. However, while asterisks were included in the original poster art and in the subsequent TV series, the title that appears onscreen in the film omits them, in the same appearance as it did on the novel's cover.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: MASH
MASH is untouchable.

The first time I watched it, a few years ago, I actually wasn't too impressed with the exception of a few sequences. And I had never liked the TV show.

But what a remarkable bit of cinematic rebellion this is. Altman steps into the director's chair and tells us exactly what he thinks of war, of military hierachies, of god. His wild, loose approach to editing and cinematography is a perfect match with the anti-authoritarian tone of the piece. In its own tossed-off way, I think it's fair to say there are few films as inspiring.

Whenever you get tired of being told what to do, of structure, of authority, watch MASH. You'll feel better.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:00 pm
Begging Naked

Post Re: MASH
This is such an out-there, uncommercial (Despite being a hit upon release), and uncommonly cruel comedy upon first viewing that it can be really off-putting. However, after writing out some of my thoughts elsewhere on the internets and listening to some of Altman's commentary on the DVD, I'm more and more inclined to believe that this is one of the most brilliant observations on war and group interaction and sticking it to the man that I've ever seen. It's so unforgiving in its portrayal that I doubt it'll leave me anytime soon. Truly brilliant.

Mon May 26, 2008 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]