Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 10,000 BC 

What grade would you give this film?
A 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
B 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
D 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
F 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 17

10,000 BC 
Extraordinary

Post Re: 10,000 B.C.
Sorry fellow Homo sapiens, but this was a great primitive movie!

I glanced at all the negativity and was almost swayed into believing thy false prophets. But, lo - - I gathered the genetic strength of the heritage of our ancestors and saw 10,000 B.C. for my own self. And behold... the film is good - - nay - - great!!! We have been well trained now for a century or more to regard the primitive as a type of retardation, however we must force ourselves to remember that the root word of primitive is prime, or first. Our very species has lived on this planet for 200,000 years, and before that came our progenitors, all the way back to the first grain of stardust that coalesced around our nascent star. To ignore our truly amazing birthright is a slap in the face to our mother and her mother and her mother and her mother and her mother... ad infinitum...

As an avowed Roland Emmerich hater, I can only admit my astonishment at his ability to cobble together this miracle of moviedom. It is a superb fantasy fashioned of the dawn of civilization and it's interface with our earlier tribal culture. It even contains elements of sci-fi that are woven into the storycloth so well as to be so supple as to be wearable.

Bravo!

This is (yet another) movie that is being unfairly written off by our media-fed prejudices. I can only urge you to cast off your slave goggles and witness the majesty that is 10,000 B.C. - - it is a miracle of pre-religious saviourdom...

33 out of 5.

{Automatic 2008 Top Ten List status granted to this masterpiece. Joining 27 Dresses, In Bruges, Untraceable, The Bank Job, and Doomsday on my elite list of great movies we have been blessed with so far this year!}

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:29 am
Extraordinary

Oh bradford...I really didn't think you had it in you.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:32 am
College Boy Z

Oh, my.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:36 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

:zonks:

This movie was horrendous.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:39 am
Profile YIM
ef star star kay

Sometimes, Brad, I feel like you're trying too hard to be different..

whatever, I'm (obligately :( ) seeing this tomorrow

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:15 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I'm seeing this with my friends just to laugh at how bad it is. We did that with AVP-R and had such a blast at the cinema.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:27 pm
Extraordinary

Waker of Winds wrote:
I'm seeing this with my friends just to laugh at how bad it is. We did that with AVP-R and had such a blast at the cinema.

As long as you pay for something else...

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:10 am
Extraordinary

JURiNG wrote:
Sometimes, Brad, I feel like you're trying too hard to be different..

whatever, I'm (obligately :( ) seeing this tomorrow

Waker of Winds wrote:

I'm looking forward to hearing both of your (hopefully) honest reviews of this movie, though it sounds like you may have already prejudged it based on the negative reviews. Try and keep an open mind nonetheless... :)

(Note: My review was straight from the heart, not any type of attempt at being different, though clearly my tastes are already quite different than many on KJ. I absolutely loved this movie! It was like a crazy remix of Ben Hur and the almost non-existent prehistoric movie genre. The only minor quibble I had was that I would have picked a hotter lead actress, or at least sexier costumes for her...)

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:07 am
You must have big rats

Oh my.

I'm usually not the one to harshly judge a film like this as I have a soft spot for large-scale blockbusters like this...but this movie really pushed all boundaries.

I won't hold the historical inaccuracies against it. Never expected anything different. But I will hold the absolutely crappy screenplay, the mostly bad acting and some really really really laughable make-up against it. There have been more laughs at the screening of this movie than at Juno's screening and considering the movie's pretty thin on intentional humor, that's not a good sign. Cliff Curtis looked downright laughable and embarassing in his make-up. Some of the lines the actors had to deliver...oh God, they deserved an Oscar for being able to deliver them with a straight face!

The few things that I liked were the movie's general concept and the pretty great visual effects on the creatures and the set design. I think there might be a decent blockbuster buried somewhere deep in there. If you can replace the director, find another screenplay, better actors and some solid make-up artists, this might, just might become a better movie. As it stands, it's probably one of the 2-3 worst movies I saw in theatres over the last 12 months.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I never knew Ronland Emerich had it in him to make a dull movie. Sure Godzilla and The Day After Tomorrow are far from perfect films, but at least I was entertained by them. This thing is just DOA from the get go. There are a couple of entertaining sequences and I'll admit that some of the CGI during the final 20 minutes (the sweeping down shots of the pyramid) are breathtaking, but everything else pretty much sucked.

*½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

To me the movie could have been much better if they really developed the "bad guys" more.

The Albino king was rather interesting and If knew more about their civilization.

They could have prehaps had a 2nd set of characters showing how life was in that civilization.

Also why couldn't they extend the epic journey part more... You know go through Deserts and underground Labyrinths and over mountain passes. You know the stuff that made Fellowship so great.

This could have one movie that could have benefited from being 20 minutes longer by having a much more complex plot.

Also what the hell is up with make the Barbarians seem civilized and making the civilized be Barbarians!!

D- (lets not get into the story and the acting)

Sun May 25, 2008 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Waker of Winds wrote:

It's not even funny. It's like watching someone you love getting kicked in the head. It's just horrible :o(

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Actually that is why we watch and enjoy some of the worst movies out there.

I enjoy watching Mars Attack for that reason.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I saw this ages ago and it still pops up in my nightmares. A cavalcade of diarretic shite.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:40 am
The Original

The movie is lame. It had some great visuals toward the end.......and I though with those visual style and a better story etc.....it could have been a good movie....but so?

4/10

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2