Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 38 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 29 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 86

College Boy Z

Post Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is a 2006 adventure fantasy film and the second film of the Pirates of the Caribbean series, following Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003). It was directed by Gore Verbinski, written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. In the film, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) discovers his debt to Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) is due, and the marriage of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) is interrupted by Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander), who wants Turner to acquire Sparrow's compass.

Two sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl were conceived in 2004, with Elliott and Rossio developing a story arc that would span both films. Filming took place from February to September 2005 in Palos Verdes, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica, and The Bahamas, as well as on sets constructed at Walt Disney Studios. It was shot back-to-back with the third film of the series, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was released in the United States on July 7, 2006. The film received mixed reviews, with praise for its special effects and criticism for its plot and running time. Despite this, it set several records in its first three days, with an opening weekend of $136 million in the United States, and it was, at the time, the third film ever to gross over $1 billion in the worldwide box office, but currently ranks as the 5th highest-grossing film of all time, and the highest-grossing film by Walt Disney Pictures. The film received 4 Academy Award nominations for Best Art Direction, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and won the Academy Award for Visual Effects.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:33 am
loyalfromlondon

Well, I saw it at a staff screening tonight. My one word review: disappointing. Perhaps I was just a bit too tired to take it all in, but I didn't feel the sense of awe that I did with the first one. Anyway, here's my full review:

Unfortunately, this is nowhere near the brilliance of the first film. Displaying little of the original's charm or wit, it attempts to blow the viewer away by having outlandish action scenes and slapstick comedy that is neither charming nor witty. I felt little to no connection to the characters - even Jack Sparrow himself - and was not even wowed by some of the big action scenes. That's not to say that this is a bad movie; it's just not nearly as good as the first one.

The plot is fairly complicated, with far too many sub-plots. Regretably, the writers attempted to bring all the characters back and fit them into the story, which leads to some unneeded scenes and extraneous storylines. The first act of the movie - with the tribal natives - is completely unnecessary and could have easily been cut to shave half an hour or so off the running time - something that is sorely needed. Although this is only a few minutes longer than the first, it feels a lot longer - perhaps because the action gets to be a bit too much. The film is trying so hard to be fun that it feels far too forced, and the big action scenes just become monotonous. I actually felt kinda bored at parts, something I never experienced during the first film.

The acting is somewhat decent, with Depp giving another great performance, though admittedly not one as good as the first one. Bloom is the same, Knightley is actually worse, but Nighy as the villain and Skarsgård as Bootstrap are both great. The comedy is much less effective this time around, as there are far fewer funny lines, and it seems the writers had to resort to crude slapstick to bring about more laughs. The fight scenes seem to drag on for too long, though they are well-staged. There's none of the great meld of comedy and action that made the first so memorable - here, it's all very wooden and rigid, nothing feels natural. It's a bit painful to watch at times, actually.

That's not to say that everything about the film is bad. The film's darker scenes are brilliant - everything involving Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman is quite cool to watch, and I would have liked to see more. The voodoo witch scene is interesting, especially the final scene with the return of our favourite villain - a very dramatic entrance. The special effects are quite amazing, especially with Jones' sea creature crew and, of course, the Kraken. There are quite a few laugh out loud moments - less than the original, admittedly, but it's still entertaining. And the entire look of the film is very well done - production design is top notch. The technical quality of the film is outstanding.

It's too bad that this film was so disappointing - it had so much potential, and it squanders it by trying too hard to capture the first film. Unneeded scenes, repetitive action scenes, and forced comedy make this much less entertaining than the first one. I'll probably see it one more time to let it sink in, but for now, it's a definite disappointment.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:44 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I must have felt different, even after working an entire shift then screening the movie. I thought the movie was brilliant, far better then the first. Jack Sparrow is a more involving character in this one, and not just a side story like the first. The action is great, this is a REAL summer movie. The fruit cabob is great too...you will see what I mean. A solid A from me.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:55 am
loyalfromlondon

Perhaps I was just too tired while watching this. I just didn't feel involved in the movie that much. Maybe it'll be better once I've watched it after a good night's sleep.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:56 am
Homo Dperious

I'm excited that the plot is more complicated. I expect to like this more then the original even if WOM is weaker.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:36 am
Profile ICQ
loyalfromlondon

After sleeping on it, my opinion of the film has risen. It's a good movie; just not as good as the first, in my opinion.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:07 pm
No Wire Tampons!

My Grade: B+

Its really more of the same. Not as lighthearted or satisfying as the first one, but definately entertaining, thrilling, exciting and fun.

Knightly is better, Bloom is worse, Depp is given too much screen time but is still excellent, and the Naomie Harris is great.
The darker scenes feel like Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers sometimes.
But I prefered the on land action sequences which were really entertaining.

All in All, not as good as the first (A-) but nearly. If you liked the first one a lot then your bound to find this one equally as good.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Here it is the main event of the summer, after all the false starts of Secret Agent's, Mutants, CGI Racer's and All American Superhero's the behemoth that is POTC 2 and Jack Sparrow is upon us. The question is does it rule the cinematic sea's or run aground on the possible rocky outcrops of Public dis-interest.

Picking up where the last movie left of we are greeted by the wedding of Elizabeth Swann and her husband to be Will Turner, but thing's aren't going completely to plan for both of them as they are arrested by order of Cutler Beckett a representive of both the Crown and the "East Indian Corporation" for the crime of aiding and abetting a know fugative, namely one Jack Sparrow. Things look grim but Cutler offers Will a choice, retrive an item of great importance from Sparrow and a pardon from the crown may await them.

For Sparrow the water's are also less then calm as an old debt he owe's to Davy Jone's is due for payment, the payment being Jack's soul. Needless to say Jack isn't going to give in easily and set's off in pursuit of the "Dead Mans Chest" and possible freedom from his debt.

The colossus that is Jack Sparrow cast's a pretty big shadow and demand's a good movie for it to settle in and for the first 20 or so minutes thing's don't look good. It's start's slowly and it's clear that without Sparrow, scene's would be in serious danger of grinding to a tedious halt, however once he makes his first appearance (from a coffin no less) the pace picks up and never really slows down for the rest of the movie. The languid speech and motion's that eminated from Sparrow in POTC 1 return with gusto here and in a way are amplified sometime's threatening to fall into the realm of slapstick or parody, but thankfully Depp's masterful grip of his character just about avoid's that.

The non Sparrow scene's after the first 20 minutes fare pretty well even thou they play the straight man to the Sparrow lunacy, in perticular the Will/Bootstrap scenes are handled with an impressive touch while Nighy's Davy Jone's is a fasinating character that looks as if it's been plucked straight from the set of Del Toro's "Labyrinth", one could spend hours just looking at him. Other memorable supporting player's include Naomi Harris's unhinged Shamen (her speech is so thick it almost requires subtitles) while comic support is ably proved by the 2 clowns from POTC 1 who's name's escape me at the moment (one has a fake eye).

One of the main plus point's of POTC 1 was the action sequences and POTC 2 gives us more of the same. The Kracken scene's are all visually impressive and pretty violence for a family film while the land based thrills of Ravenous cannibal's and 3 way swordfight's compliment it nicely. Just like the first outing the thrill ride side of the movie live's up to it's billing.

It should also be noted the one thing this movie has over POTC 1 is a more grim overall outlook as the inevitable comedy and action is mixed with dark undertone's of damnation and scene's of major characters making tough choices. It's one those choice's that lead's to Jack last stand on the Black Pearl and an expectant audience awaiting POTC 3 with interest. Also in terms of final scene's POTC2 has a top notch entry as an old Pirate from POTC 1 makes a grand return.

I would have been really hacked off if this movie had dissapointed but it delivered in spades. Roll on 2007

B+

Last edited by Gulli on Tue May 08, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:09 pm
You must have big rats

Meh, it's not out here till the end of July...

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Meh, it's not out here till the end of July...

That really sucks. I'm sorry. :sad:

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:18 pm

I can't wait to see the movie, no matter what the reviews. But, what I need to know is, is this movie okay for young kids? My girls loved the first movie, but when I saw the previews for Dead Man's Chest, I sorta was freaked by the effects myself! Am I being a wimp? I don't want to be up all night with the hauntings of my kids! What do you think?

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

I can't wait to see the movie, no matter what the reviews. But, what I need to know is, is this movie okay for young kids? My girls loved the first movie, but when I saw the previews for Dead Man's Chest, I sorta was freaked by the effects myself! Am I being a wimp? I don't want to be up all night with the hauntings of my kids! What do you think?

Let them watch it, given it's been 3 years since the last movie, and they're older now. This movie is definitely darker, but since it's a fantasy, jumpy scenes are not as much so.

As for my opinion, I liked it much more than the first one. The first POTC was extremely brash with a simple plot; this film has more complexity and human drama beyond a childish love triangle. Much of DMC's emotional/story potential will be harnessed in the third film. All that matters is left hanging at the end.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:13 am
Team Kris

Well I just got back from the midnight show and I thought the movie was somewhat of a letdown for me. Don't get me wrong, it was wonderfully entertaining, but it didn't have the same feel as the first movie. I thought it was far too dark of a movie, literally dark as in not enough daytime scenes. But the great cliffhanger ending made up for all it with a great response fomr the crowd for a certain character. I don't think this will have anywhere near the legs of the first movie which will hurt the opening weekend of the third movie on Memorial Weekend. It had the Matrix Reloaded kind of feel for me. Good, but up to my expectations.

P.S. The scene after the credits was cute but not worth the 8 mins of credits to get to it.

B+

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:27 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

YES! I'll tyr to straighten out some of my thoughts.

I was worried coming in that this wouldn't hold up to the original, which is one of my all-time favorites and probably my most watched movie ever. During the first 40 minutes or so, I felt a hevay sense of forboding that this was a shoddy attempt to follow the original. But those doubts were quickly succombed. Dead Man's Chest is certainly no Curse of the Black Pearl, but it is a VERY solid follow-up to it. And aside from the tribal native scene in the beginning act, not one thing had me worried or made me think it was out of place in the PotC universe.

I won't explain the story much, but it certainly takes it's dear sweet time taking off. But thankfully, it isn't a rehash of the original, but still shares some pretty obvious elements. The entire movie had many allusions to the first. Many worked, some didn't, and, thus, felt a little forced. The acting was solid. Depp was...well, you know. Keira and Bloom both improved leagues, with the former actually able to convey emotions with...subtlety...? AH! But what really stands out is the further study of the characters and the drama. Not to say the first had none. At it's heart, it was a character study, to be sure, but it was always light. This certainly brings forward deeper parts of the three main characters' relationships, both with each other and with others. The CGI was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Not a single shot looked fake, although I'll wait to shout it's praises until at least a second viewing. Pintel and Ragetti are completely out of place in this one. It's the only thing that really stayed in the back of my head, in terms of what I didn't like.

The onyl two things that nawed at me was the beginning's slow start, and Pintel and Ragetti. Aside form that, it was a solid follow-up with great action and above average-comedy.

A

P.S. Wait until after the credits. I was about to leave but somebody said that there might be something, ala POTC1. It adds nothing, really, but it's a nice little tossback.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:39 am
Cream of the Crop

Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:07 am
Profile ICQ
Commander and Chef

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Arsalan/POTC2.php

Quote:
Captain Jack Sparrow finally returns to grace the big screen after three years on hiatus. His continuing adventure is Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. He not only brings with him our two young lovers Will and Elizabeth, but also an assortment of other characters from the first film that I never thought I'd see further developed. It has been three long years and walking into this film felt like walking in to see Star Wars, at least to me. Such was the impact created by the first film and I hoped against hope that it didn't suffer from all the issues sequels are prone to.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

i dont plan on seeing this "film".

I'm not rushing out to see it - might make a good late summer drive-in movie...

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:20 am
Cream of the Crop

i might catch it once it airs on free tv though. then all i can lose are 2 hours of my life, but not money too.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:23 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

More consistent than the first and it feels like it's not dragging itself along as much, but the plot itself is really oddly structured. They don't bother to tell us what the key opens until 90 minutes in, despite every other character seemingly knowing. Granted, anyone with knowledge of a plot synopsis knew, but it was still off-putting. My Back to the Future II comparison was apt in so many ways.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:21 am
Homo Dperious

Incredible popcorn movie. I agree with Hito.

7.9/10 (7.6 for original)

A-

Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:50 am
Profile ICQ
Indiana Jones IV

God! I have 2 wait 2 more days too see it cause im on vacation!!! Im wearing my pirate hat as soon as i get in town and heading over to the theatre!!!

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:54 am
Profile YIM WWW

Joseba B-Loki wrote:
i dont plan on seeing this "film".

I'm not rushing out to see it - might make a good late summer drive-in movie...

You still have drive-ins? Boo.. I wish we had those.

I'm afraid to go see this movie because every other movie I've had high expectations for, I've come out sorely disappointed.. save for 'Thank You For Smoking.'

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

Incredible popcorn movie. I agree with Hito.

7.9/10 (7.6 for original)

A-

I'm confused about your grading system. A 7.9 is an A-? Did you mean maybe 8.9?

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Review coming soon.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:56 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

From the beginning, it seemed as if the summer of 2003 would be dominated by one film: The Matrix Reloaded. The hotly anticipated follow-up to the 1999 original had everything going for it, including lots of positive buzz and a multi-million dollar advertising campaign. It was a sequel that people were craving given the popularity of the original, and many fully expected it to break box-office records. It seemed almost implausible that it would disappoint given the pre-release buzz. Unfortunately, that is just what it did. While critics were generally positive about the film and audiences went to see it, it didn't fulfill the expectations that people had set for it. Instead, the summer was dominated by two films that came out of nowhere to become instant classics, giving a much needed boost to the revenue of Walt Disney Pictures. One was the animated undersea adventure Finding Nemo, and the other was the high-seas action film Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Pirates was a truly interesting film for the studio to make, for it didn't fit the traditional mold of their wholesome family friendly image. It appealed to younger audiences, but it was also a much more mature and darker product from ther studio, which earned their first "PG-13" rating with the film. Based on the theme park ride of the same name, many predicted that it would be one of the summer's high-profile flops. But thanks to a brilliant marketing campaign and excellent reviews, it went on to become one of the most popular films of the year, earning over $300 million in the U.S. alone (more than other summer films such as X2: X-Men United and Reloaded itself). Audiences couldn't get enough of the dark yet comedic storyline and the cast members were instantly catapulted to A-list status. Johnny Depp became one of the most sought-after actors in the industry for his unforgettable portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow, a role that earned him his first Oscar nomination. Almost immediately, plans for a sequel were made.

Finally, after years of anticipation, Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest arrives at theaters worldwide amidst a wind of pandemonium. Many are predicting that it will be the film to beat and should easily go on to become the most popular title of the year. A third film is already nearing completion, showing that the studio has complete confidence in this title. Everything about the release strategy mirrors Reloaded in a way. However, the big difference between the two above all is that this film lives up to the hype. It is the first unmistakably brilliant film of 2006.

The film begins on the wedding day of lovebirds Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley), an event that is sadly interrupted when the two are unjustly arrested by the cruel Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander). The crime? Helping famed pirate Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) escape the grounds of Port Royal. Despite the best efforts of Elizabeth's father Governor Swann (Jonathan Pryce), it seems as if their fate is set in stone. However, Beckett offers Will a compromise. Find Jack Sparrow and retrieve a mysterious compass from his grasp and he will be granted a full pardon. After searching far and wide, he eventually finds Jack, who agrees to the proposal if Will promises to help him with another endeavor. Will must help Jack find the key to the Dead Man's Chest, which contains the heart of famed pirate and ruler of the seas Davy Jones (Bill Nighy). But what Will doesn't know is that Jack has a debt to pay. In exchange for his position as Captain of the Black Pearl, he has promised his soul and a life of eternal servitude to Jones aboard his cursed ship The Flying Dutchman. And his time is almost up.

In order to find the key, they must enlist the help of a mysterious gypsy queen (Naomie Harris) with former ties to Jack as well. But after a series of unfortunate events causes Will to become a captive of the Flying Dutchman, Jack strikes a deal with Jones. For the price of one hundred souls, Jack may go free. While Jack works to find the viable candidates and free his friend, Elizabeth has managed to escape from her prison cell and stows away on a pirate ship in search of Will. When Jack and Elizabeth cross paths, they decide to work together to find the chest and save Will from the Dutchman's grasp. But Will has met a mysterious stranger aboard the ship as well - a decayed old man who claims to be his long lost father (Stellan Skarsgaard).

The entire original cast and crew return for the film and the dedication that they have to the project really shows. Director Gore Verbinski once again does a brilliant job, solidifying his status as one of today's most talented directors. He keeps the film constantly moving at a fast pace and manages to show the illustrious beauty of the locations that he films in. He also has a flair for action sequences, crafting some of the most unforgettable moments of the year. A particular standout scene involving the vicious sea monster The Crackel should solidify this as a frontrunner for the Visual Effects Oscar this year. He gives the film a dark and ominous feel while also keeping things lighthearted and fun for the viewer throughout. Production design is great and the film is truly a visual feast. Makeup effects deserve special recognition here as well, for some of the work done is absolutely brilliant.

The screenplay by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio is once again fantastic, staying true to the roots of the original and also adding quite a bit to the table as well. The film still has its fair share of comedic moments and memorable one-liners, but they have created several new characters that really give the film a much darker but stronger tone. Each one of the original characters gets more development here and we get to see many sides of each one as well. And above all, the ending, which is crafted as a set-up for next year's Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End, is absolutely unexpected and a real crowd-pleaser above all. It will leave audience wanting, craving more and should ensure the third installment's massive success next year.

Performances here are once again strong. Johnny Depp has created an unforgettable and lovable character in Captain Jack Sparrow, the flawed and unpredictable star of the picture. He gives the role so much zest and energy that it is hard not to fall under his spell. He also gives the character some soul and backbone, showing the viewer that he isn't as completely spineless as he seems. He is winning in the comedic moments and great in the darker ones, stealing the show throughout the film's duration.

Orlando Bloom is stronger than usual here as Will Turner, and is a solid action lead once again. He is given a lot of material to work with here and does very well with all of it. While his character is not as fun as the irresistible Jack Sparrow, Bloom is essential to the movies and it is hard to see the franchise without him. Keira Knightley once again shows audiences that she is a radiant talent with her portrayal of Elizabeth. She actually improves on her performance that was present in the original, giving the character quite a bit of depth and emotion. She shows how her character is beginning to fully embrace the pirate lifestyle and displays her ever-changing emotions towards both Will and Jack. She works well off her co-stars and is great in all aspects here.

The supporting cast is massive, but many skilled thespians leave quite an impression. Best is Bill Nighy as the vicious Davy Jones, creating one of the most memorable villains in recent memory. His octopus-faced antagonist is not only believable, but also downright chilling. Nighy manages to act through the visual effects as well, with much of his performance relying on his haunting gaze and malevolent vocal tones. Naomie Harris is a pleasure to watch here in a small but pivotal role, and she obviously seems to be having a lot of fun with playing this character. She is mysterious, likable and strangely effective - giving the role everything that is required. Let's hope to see more of her in the next installment. Stellan Skarsgaard is solid here as Bill Turner, and also manages to act under his fair share of makeup. We are able to see his tortured soul and conflicting emotions towards the arrival of his son. Returning cast members Lee Arenberg and Mackenzie Crook are also a pleasure to watch as the bumbling pirate duo, one of whom is constantly losing his eye. Jonathan Pryce, Jack Davenport and Kevin McNally also return and give good performances as well.

What makes this such a great sequel, and a great film, is the fact that it honors the original while also giving the audience so much more of what they love. There are many references throughout the the crew's first adventure and these moments are sure to provoke nostalgia and laughs throughout. Everyone is at the top of their game here and seems to care very much about giving people what they want. The action sequences are present in full force and are stunning, the comedy is still here and the romantic angle is also pivotal to the storyline. It doesn't once feel like a cash-in project and is sure to please viewers worldwide.

Overall, this is a truly spectacular film that is one of the very best to come along in quite a while. It offers non-stop excitement, brilliant performances, remarkable direction and loads of fun for audiences everywhere. It is easily the best film of the summer so far and will likely remain as one of the best films of the year. Bravo Verbinski and company! You've created another winner. Dive in to the must-see film event that is sure to leave you entertained and craving part three. Savvy?

10/10 (A+)

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:05 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next