Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Wuthering Heights (1939) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Wuthering Heights (1939) 

Post Wuthering Heights (1939)
Wuthering Heights

Quote:
Wuthering Heights is a 1939 American black-and-white film directed by William Wyler and produced by Samuel Goldwyn. It is based on the novel, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. The film depicts only sixteen of the novel's thirty-four chapters, eliminating the second generation of characters. The novel was adapted for the screen by Charles MacArthur, Ben Hecht and John Huston. The film won the 1939 New York Film Critics Award for Best Film. It earned nominations for eight Academy Awards, including for Best Picture and Best Actor. The 1939 Academy Award for Best Cinematography, black-and-white category, was awarded to Gregg Toland for his work.

In 2007, Wuthering Heights was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Post Re: Wuthering Heights [1931]
I love love LOVE this film. Almost more than Gone with the Wind or The Wizard of Oz.

Though it could have a lot to do with the source material. I think an even better film could yet be made based on the novel. But for now this remains a must-see.

A

Best Actress 2008

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B

Wuthering Heights is a solid, though not throughly engaging movie which is a pity considering its running time clocks in at just under 100 minutes. I can't quite put a finger on what I didn't like in the movie, as it seems be technically well-made. It's just that for a love story of this magnitude it never had the emotional impact it should have had on me. I never really felt the connection between Cathy and Heathcliff.

It starts out very well, even with some notions of the supernatural, but starts going downhill after Heathcliff's return as a rich man. The acting is very solid here, with Laurence Olivier being the best of the bunch, but Merle Oberon impressing as well. The score and the cinematography are nice too, but overall I found the film to be a bit lacking. No real chemistry between the leads, no truefelt emotions here, except for Heathcliff's rage and desire for vengeance. It's supposed to be a tragic love story, but it doesn't realy feel like one, despite the film trying hard to estabilish that. I'm glad it lost the Best Picture Oscar to Gone with the Wind. Definitely not one of Wyler's best films.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new version with Natalie Portman because while the old one is a decent film, I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement (I wonder whether they'll adapt the entire novel this time around...at last!)

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

'39, not '31.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 pm
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

I agree with Dr. Lecter. Everything was well made, but the movie never presents an ounce of emotions in the way it should have presented. It's a melodrama for heavens sake.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]