Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Time Bandits 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Time Bandits 

Post Time Bandits
Time Bandits

Quote:
Time Bandits is a 1981 British fantasy film produced and directed by Terry Gilliam.

Terry Gilliam wrote the screenplay with fellow Monty Python alumnus Michael Palin, who appears with Shelley Duvall in the small, recurring roles of Vincent and Pansy. The film is one of the most famous of more than 30 theatrical features produced by HandMade Films. The London-based independent company was backed in part by former Beatle George Harrison, who wrote and performed the closing credits song "Dream Away" especially for this film.

Gilliam would work with many of this film's cast again in 1985's Brazil, including Jim Broadbent, Ian Holm, Peter Vaughan, Katherine Helmond, Michael Palin, and Jack Purvis.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Time Bandits
4/5

I thought this was really fun. It's sort of like the Holy Grail meets the Princess Bride meets Terry Gilliam's creativity, I enjoyed it a lot. The production design and settings are all pretty fabulous, and all the actors from the elves to David Warner as "Evil" right down to Ian Holm as Napolean are all great.

It's also pretty quoteable:

Quote:
Evil: When I have the map, I will be free, and the world will be different, because I have understanding.
Robert: Uh, understanding of what, Master?
Evil: Digital watches. And soon I shall have understanding of video cassette recorders and car telephones. And when I have understanding of them, I shall have understanding of computers. And when I have understanding of computers, I shall be the Supreme Being!

Evil: "Look how He(God) spends his time 43 species of parrots. Nipples for men. SLUG! HE created slugs! They can't hear, they can't think, they can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?"

Kevin: It's some kind of invisible barrier.
Fidgit: Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

The ... Most Fabulous Object... In the world!

I also loved the ending here, it's such a WTF, but I laughed.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:33 pm
loyalfromlondon

Fun and inventive and often hilarious. You can tell that Gilliam's just having fun with this, though, and then he buckled down and made Brazil. There's a real sense of childishness and frothiness to the whole thing. I mean, what's it about really? There's some stuff about technology and bureaucracy ruining imagination (themes he expanded upon later on), but this is just a fun adventure flick.

But it does that really well. The Python sense of humour works wonders with history (especially loved John Cleese as Robin Hood), and there's rarely a joke that doesn't work. Still, that long sequence with Agamemnon really drags and feels quite out of place. Connery is pretty wasted in what is, essentially, a straight role with no comedic partner to play off of. And the climax, while fun, is pretty silly.

As far as Gilliam goes, you could certainly do worse, but this is far from the heights of Brazil or Twelve Monkeys, or even Holy Grail. Even so, it's not a throwaway, though it occasionally feels like one.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Extraordinary

I love Time Bandits. I saw this as a kid way back when and didn't know what was going on. I liked the travels through time and the story and the dwarves. The final battle was fun too.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:11 pm
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

I definitely remember this as a better movie. I was a kid when I saw it, but nostalgia didn't help this much. The first half of the film is great. Interesting, funny... I loved the Napoleon and his obsession with height. But from that point the movie was kinda hit and miss. The only thing that was awesome were the star-crossed lovers. HILARIOUS.

The sets are wonderful and it's a shame that these days rarely who uses models - the fortress of evil looks like something that could've easily come from LotR trilogy or any modern fantasy with really good CGI.

The ending was bad though. Like really bad.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]