Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Semi-Pro 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
F 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13

Semi-Pro 
Extraordinary

Post Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Semi-Pro is a 2008 American sports screwball comedy film from New Line Cinema. The film was directed by Kent Alterman and stars Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson, André Benjamin and Maura Tierney. The film was shot in Los Angeles near Dodger Stadium (in the gym of the Los Angeles City Fire Department Training Center), in Detroit and in Flint, Michigan. It was released in theaters on February 29, 2008 and was released on DVD and Blu-ray on June 3, 2008. This was the last film from New Line Cinema before its sister company Warner Bros. took over.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:58 am
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Semi-Pro
Me thinks Will Ferrel went to the well one to many times with this one. Semi-Pro had some funny moments but overall was disappointing. It could've done without most of the Woody Harrelson characters backstory which really stopped the movie dead in its tracks. And instead focus more on the team, or Jackies dealings with the league officials, or the ball girls, anything but the Monnix character. Semi-Pro wasn't awful but it was lacking in something none-the-less, maybe Ferrel should stop with the sports spoofs and start to focus his energy towards projects like Stranger than Fiction in which he has the ability to shine and grow as a comedic performer, instead of stagnating in extended SNL type skit movies. The supporting cast with the exception of Harrelson helped this film rise above mediocrity though so for that I give the film.

Grade B/B+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:06 pm
College Boy Z

Pretty funny, though not up to Talladega Nights levels. It's about on-par with like Blades of Glory, which is disappointing considering this had an R-rating. Still, it has it moments and Will Ferrell is a riot as usual, even though it's just his usual character.

B

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:15 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Boy did I feel disappointed in the film. It wasnt really funny at all. I think the best comparison would be The Cable Guy where alot of the scenes felt very uncomfortable especially with the gun pointing scene and pulling the trigger. I think a few people would that that whole scene maybe in bad taste and pushing the line. Another problem with the film is that it really doesnt take advantage of its R rating where all they really did is mention BJs, the f bomb, cocks etc. Compare that to Theres Something about Mary and Bad Santa where they took full advantage of the R rating and made alot of funny gross scenes out of it. Semi-pro doesnt really push the line enough and that Will Ferrell seems more like a supporting character whereas Woody Harreson seems to be the full star of the film. I do like the inclusion of Harrison and some of the homages to his Kingpin character but not enough to really recommend the film especially when the ending felt abrupt without anything satisfying

C

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:26 pm
problem?

I have never before, in my life, been so bored during a comedy. Only one good joke in the entire film that made any of the people in my group laugh. I never, EVER mess with my phone during a film, I hate people that do, the light's annoying, but I broke out my cellphone and played Brick Attack for a good 20 minutes. Awful, awful film.

Image out of Image

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:52 pm
Sbil

Yeah, this was pretty bad. I usually enjoy Will Ferrell's comedies (Anchorman is one of my favorite comedies ever, actually), but this had very few redeeming qualities. Despite an R rating, it somehow feels more muted than his PG-13 comedies. Ferrell's character is tired and not particularly funny, and the rest of the supporting cast fail to register. There are a few throwaway laughs, but I don't recommend this picture. D+

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:06 am
Extraordinary

Well that was the worst movie I've seen in quite a while... stinkingly bad. I'm not easily offended, and yet I found Semi Pro irredeemably rude.

And unforgivably - - it was not funny.

1 out of 5.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:18 pm
Sbil

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Well that was the worst movie I've seen in quite a while... stinkingly bad. I'm not easily offended, and yet I found Semi Pro irredeemably rude.

And unforgivably - - it was not funny.

1 out of 5.

Oh my god, Bradley and I hate the same movie. A comedy, no less. Shocking.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:27 pm
Stanley Cup

the last 20 minutes were very good. Problem was the first 100 minutes were brutally awful. Easily the worst of Will's movies.

D.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:29 pm
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Oh my god, Bradley and I hate the same movie. A comedy, no less. Shocking.

I must say I was a little disturbed by that fact too, after reading your review after posting mine. What's really shocking to me though, is the high grades given by others towards the beginning of the thread... :wacko:

(Actually, we're not that far apart on comedies of the romantic variety - - but yes, with this type of low comedy of which I'm a huge fan, we're usually continents apart. ;) )

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:15 pm
Superman: The Movie

Jayhawk wrote:
the last 20 minutes were very good. Problem was the first 100 minutes were brutally awful. Easily the worst of Will's movies.

D.

The film was nowhere near close to being two hours long, although it might have felt like it. I wish the film was longer because it seemed to be heavily edited and it could've used more character setup (where was the interview on the court between Jackie and the announcer that we've seen over and over again in the TV spots?) and well, comedy, but I think it barely reached 90 minutes.

My grade: **1/2

My review is up on the main page.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
---------

It's not too bad. The opening song is pretty hilarious. I loved a lot of the jokes, but a lot did fall flat. Woody Harrelson's character and storyline was completely pointless. It tried to be a little too dramatic; Talladega Nights pulled it off much better. Will Ferrell needed to be the main character. (also he needed to be mad more often!! Will Ferrell is at his best when he plays mad) My favorite parts were the $10,000 check guy and the invention of the alley oop.

Grade: B-

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:12 pm
George A. Romero

not too bad. i liked it better than talladega nights, but it did have some boring spots.

C+/B-

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:33 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

Jmart007 wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:

D.

The film was nowhere near close to being two hours long, although it might have felt like it. I wish the film was longer because it seemed to be heavily edited and it could've used more character setup (where was the interview on the court between Jackie and the announcer that we've seen over and over again in the TV spots?) and well, comedy, but I think it barely reached 90 minutes.

It was trimmed down from an NC-17. So look for the DVD to contain 'scenes to risque for theatres'

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:59 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Ack this was terrible. I never knew it was possible for Ferrell to phone in one of this personal comedies but he does it here. A painful experience.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am
Stanley Cup

Jmart007 wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:

D.

my bad the first 70 minutes were awful.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:41 pm

The Mr Pink wrote:
Jmart007 wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:

D.

It was trimmed down from an NC-17. So look for the DVD to contain 'scenes to risque for theatres'

Where did you hear that?

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Grill

Funny in places.I liked the plot. Ferrell was hilarious as was Arnett. Not as good has past movies but still funny.

B-

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 am
Veteran

I honestly thought this was going to be worse. Just got back from it and was kinda pleasently surprised. It was alright but , it wasn't horrible C+. Ferrel just seems so tired though, he isnt even trying. Some funny spots, passable but not horrendous.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:03 am
King Albert!

B-

Funny in places, but nothing special.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Wow. Very disappointing. This is the first Ferrell movie that I've gotten behind before release/before I saw it....and it's the first one to really disappoint me. Blades f Glory was better then this :disgust:

D+

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:10 am
---------

Anybody else hear that the bear (Rocky) from this movie just killed its trainer? I bet Will Ferrell feels pretty lucky lol.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:08 pm

The Unrated cut of the film works much better than the theatrical cut, although it isn't that much longer. Anyone expecting anything drastically different in terms and is expecting a tremendous amount of nudity is going to be slightly disappointed. I honestly can't see why they just didn't go with this cut to begin with, because there is nothing here that comes close to being NC-17. Anyways, I think the reason why I enjoyed it more this time around is that the film just flows better in the Unrated cut. I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying close enough attention to the Theatrical cut, but things that once felt disjointed don't quite feel that way here. I also found the film to be a little bit funnier the second time around. I wouldn't quite say it's as good as Ferrell's other leading comedic roles, but its still quite funny. And not to take anything away from Ferrell who is good here, but the biggest laughs come from Will Arnett and Andrew Daly as color commentator and announcer respectively. I wouldn't quite say they save the film, but they're the funniest part to the film.

So it's better on DVD. I think if they had released this cut into theaters they would've been doing themselves a favor and had just stopped worrying about the rating (I can now tell they were pretty much trying their hardest to cut it to PG-13), they would've been doing themselves a favor since this is the best cut of the film.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:32 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I did enjoy it more on DVD as well. It's still kinda mediocre in comparison to his other films, but it's not bad.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:20 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade: C+

got better as it went on but much of the beginning was total crap.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next