Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 I Confess 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

I Confess 

Post I Confess
I Confess

Quote:
I Confess (1953) is a drama film directed by Alfred Hitchcock, and starring Montgomery Clift as Fr. Michael William Logan, a Catholic priest, Anne Baxter as Ruth Grandfort, and Karl Malden as Inspector Larrue. This was the only film Hitchcock made with these three actors. Biographers say he had trouble with "Method" actors such as Clift and Paul Newman, who worked with Hitchcock in Torn Curtain (1966).

In the book-length interview Hitchcock/Truffaut (1967), Hitchcock said he had hired Anita Björk as the female lead for I Confess, after seeing her in Miss Julie (1951). However, when Björk arrived in Hollywood with her lover and their baby, Warner Bros. insisted Hitchcock find another actress.

The film is based on a 1902 French play by Paul Anthelme called Nos Deux Consciences, a play Hitchcock saw in the 1930s. The screenplay was written by George Tabori.

The movie was largely filmed on location in Quebec City with numerous shots of the city landscape and interiors of its churches and other emblematic buildings, such as the Château Frontenac.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: I Confess
Probably the worst Hitchcock I've seen thus far (I really only saw it due to it being set in Quebec City) but that still means a pretty good film. Though the long, languorous, and overly talky flashback really kills the flow of the film, and the end could've used some work, it's gripping, stylish, and well-acted all-around. Great use of the city, too.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]