Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 8½ 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

8½ 

Post 8½

Quote:
8½ (pronounced Otto e mezzo in Italian) is a 1963 film directed by Italian director Federico Fellini. Co-scripted by Fellini, Tullio Pinelli, Ennio Flaiano, and Brunello Rondi, it stars Marcello Mastroianni as Guido Anselmi, a famous Italian film director. Shot in black-and-white by cinematographer Gianni di Venanzo, the film features a soundtrack by Nino Rota with costume and set designs by Piero Gherardi.

The film's title refers to 8½ being Fellini's eighth and a half film as a director. His previous directorial work consisted of six features, two short segments, and a collaboration with another director, Alberto Lattuada, the latter three productions accounting for a "half" film each.

8½ won two Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film and Best Costume Design (black-and-white). Acknowledged as a highly influential classic, it was ranked 3rd best film of all time in a 2002 poll of film directors conducted by the British Film Institute and is additionally listed on the Vatican's compilation of the 45 best films made before 1995, the 100th anniversary of cinema.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Post Re: 8½
One of my favorite movies of all time. Beautiful in every aspect.

10/10 (A+)

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:35 pm
Kypade

Sad-man knows where it sat.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 pm
Extraordinary

Still not my favorite Fellini, even though it is the best in execution. This is a director's piece and a piece of directing history. What you think you know about film was probably developed here, especially as far as shifting perspective and narrator. The story is tighter and the scenario more comic than his previous two works, yet 8 1/2 falls shoft of Fellini's LDV and Cabiria because it is so well polished. The movie is almost too perfect for me, and because of this it maintains its emotional distance from my greedy eyes and mind. I didn't cry, though I did laugh quite a bit whenever Carla was on screen. She was probably one of my favorite parts of the film.

Still give it an A/A-

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:17 pm
Extraordinary

I hereby renounce everything I have ever said about movies because I clearly knew nothing before seeing 8½.

on a related but unimportant note, everything charlie kaufman has ever written is completely derivative of this.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:52 am
Where will you be?

snackosaurus wrote:
I hereby renounce everything I have ever said about movies because I clearly knew nothing before seeing 8½.

on a related but unimportant note, everything charlie kaufman has ever written is completely derivative of this.

Maybe that's why his films are so dang smart!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Eh I personally found this to be one of the most overrated "classics" I've ever seen.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

jmovies wrote:
Eh I personally found this to be one of the most overrated "classics" I've ever seen.

One of those movies I hate to admit I didn't like. The strenuous length of this film is unnecessary.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

***1/2 / ***** (B-)

I've never been able to see why Fellini is appreciated as much as he is. 8½ is another example of a movie that's a certain member of "Best Movie Ever" list no matter who compiles it, yet every time I see it I'm left slightly disappointed. It has clear pacing issues as it goes from a great scene to a couple of mediocre/boring ones then to a great scene again. The dubbing has been an eternal issue for me in classic Italian cinema. Actors clearly speaking in different language or even if they're speaking Italian they're speaking something different feels amateurish to me and takes me out of the movie.

The idea behind this movie is much stronger than the execution.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]