Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Wings 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

Wings 

Post Wings
Wings

Quote:
Wings (1927) is a silent film about World War I fighter pilots, produced by Lucien Hubbard, directed by William A. Wellman and released by Paramount Pictures. Wings was the first film, and the only silent film, to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. Wings stars Clara Bow, Charles "Buddy" Rogers, and Richard Arlen. Gary Cooper appears in a scene which helped launch his career in Hollywood and also marked the beginning of his affair with Clara Bow.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Post Re: Wings
Wings? Sunrise? Broadway Melody?

Someone was watching TCM on Friday night...

Anyway...

I was particularly impressed by the aerial scenes in this film. The story is flawed, cliched, and tragic (I can understand, it was 1927). I could just imagine how the brief kiss between the two lead males been deemed obscene. Though I think Sunrise deserved the Outstanding Production more, rather than the consolation "Unique and Artistic Picture"

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:59 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Wings
Holding the distinction of the first Best Picture at the Oscars, Wings is the type of film that should wither away 90 years later as a technical achievement for its time and nothing more (it's silent, it contains a pedestrian love triangle, and it's aged). However, after watching the film for the first time (in its restored, 144 minute version), I have to admit I was captivated from beginning to end, especially by the exceptional aviation sequences that not only stand up well in 2018 but must have been a real marvel in 1927.

Wrapped around the fantastic visuals is a rather lackluster love triangle that should be forgiven considering its age. Even still, it's an engaging story that, at its heart, is about Jack and David, who start as bitter enemies but quickly become best friends, despite both being in love with the same girl (a girl who only shows true affection for one).

In the middle of that, Jack (who is unaware the love of his life doesn't share his feelings) has someone at home in love with him: Mary, played by the striking Clara Bow. When Mary is on screen, it's hard not to fall in love with her and be intrigued by her own little subplot, including joining the war as an ambulance driver and very nearly seeing her own demise.

The first hour and last 45 minutes are solid film-making, regardless of its silence or its age. However, there is an entire sequence in Paris that threatens to derail the entire film. Jack gets drunk, which results in him not remembering being with Mary. But the whole Paris portion of the story is overlong and borders on boring. His drunkenness and ensuing infatuation with bubbles becomes tedious. What that sequence represents would have been served better with different execution. Thankfully, it doesn't ruin the film.

Some of the best movies excel despite their flaws, and Wings has its fair share of issues. But at the heart of this movie from nearly a century ago, it's all about love and war. Simple as that is and as often as it has been explored since, Wings does it very well and is a strong first (co?) winner of Best Picture.

***/****

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]